1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

A Pats writer mentioned these three as small school talent

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Joe a Cowboys fan, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Joe a Cowboys fan

Joe a Cowboys fan New Member

1,005 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Is there any player out there who has caught your eyes from the smaller schools? I remember Gil Brandt was a genius at doing this. Not always going to the big schools for talent. Thanks.
    Bob Sulik

Well Bob, I’m no Gil Brandt but one guy I really like is New Mexico receiver Hank Baskett. He was very productive for a team that ran the ball most of the time, eclipsing 1,000 yards receiving on 67 receptions as a senior. The other thing I really like about Baskett is he’s physical. Playing in a run-first offense, he became a very good blocker. Baskett said at the Combine he was proud of his blocking skills and at 6-3, he’s a good red zone target.

Two other guys to watch out for are Chris Gocong – an undersized pass rusher from Cal Poly and Danieal Manning – a big, fast corner from Abilene Christian. Both players were extremely productive at the small school level, especially Gocong who finished his career with 42 sacks. At 6-3, 260, Gocong will probably end up as a 3-4 edge rusher in the NFL.
    -Tom Casale"

The Pats have been real good with scouting players recently so I thought I would bring these here and see what you guys thought. Where will they fit in the draft?

2. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

12,460 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    I would imagine all 3 are on the Cowboy's radar.

As for Manning, it seems he has the physical ability to play Safety as well as CB. And he's good good speed. I think he could go in the 4-5th round.

We all know about Gocong. The Cowboys might have had him in for a visit (or he's coming in). I don't remember which. Again, I think he's probably a 4-5 rounder.

3. Joe a Cowboys fan

Joe a Cowboys fan New Member

1,005 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well I read a Cowboys writer postulating that Henry or Reeves might get some reps at FS and that Jerry wasn't inclined to go with a first or second rounder on a FS based on the quality available. Or so he was quoted as saying. Good morning Woods. (%

4. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    1,196 Likes Received
    Manning isn't exactly "big."

5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Manning actually did play some S in college, he's also reported to be an amazing punt returner

6. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,432 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Manning is one of my favorite players in the draft. Gosselin was talking him up as a sleeper last Fall. I think we are targeting him at FS because of the bonus he brings as a return man.

Good Article/scouting report:
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=5419

Interesting combine interview where Manning comes across very well and tells a room full of reporters from across the nation how Dallas is the team he wants to play for
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609&videoID=1173