1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Question About 2014- What If

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Mar 20, 2014.

1. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

961 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    No.

I like Martin and Brooks. I don't like Lawrence, and I really, really don't like Smith. I don't think that makes for an NFC Championship defense.
  2. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,043 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    not going to hit 16 ppg... but don't need to.

this team gave up 27 ppg last year -- and, because the offense put up 27.4 ppg, we got 8-8.

if the defense can improve by 3 or 4 ppg, we'll see the playoffs.
    da_whiz_kid likes this.
  3. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,235 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Not sure what Gil Brandt was referencing but I count 16 games over 80 yards from that game in 2009-2012. Not bad, really.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AustMi00/gamelog/
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,652 Messages
    5,563 Likes Received
    I just don't see that happening. I don't know what SEA will offer but OAK will offer more than the Cowboys. Allen is a hired gun looking for a payday. We don't have the inside track like we did with Melton.
  5. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,613 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    Gil must be losing it and I should have fact checked before. Good catch. Just heard him make that reference on Sirius XM NFL Radio last week (maybe Thursday or Friday) when they were discussing the Cowboys and their recent contract blunders.

Again, good catch and, my bad for not fact checking it before I posted.
  6. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    16ppg and NFCC? I don't think there's any way unless every single player just absolutely plays to the max especially Melton, Carr, Carter, Mo, Wilcox or other safety and Selvie or the other DE(crawford, rook) and minimal injuries occur. Sean Lee has to be healthy.

Everything would have to go right and we would have to hit on every pick. We just need a decent defense with our offense, injuries have murdered us for two straight years. Love the optimism though.
  7. daveferr33

daveferr33 Well-Known Member

464 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    two teams were under 16ppg last season: Seattle (14.4) and Carolina (15.1). Its probably not a realist goal.
  8. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,576 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    Allen went to Seattle with his family, and will make a decision soon. I'm guessing either there or retire. Don't see him going to Dallas. Not at his asking price. Seattle has more cap space.
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,904 Messages
    2,375 Likes Received
    in that scenario, i would not draft martin but trade down and get an extra 3rd and take BPA in mid 20s in rd 1 and an OL like thomas/turner/bitonio in rd 3 or take suafilo in rd 2

if we signed allen i would only draft one DE because crawford in apparently also slated to play DE
    i would draft at least one other DT at 1T, someone like DaQuan Jones in rd 3-4 and even Moala in rd 7

if we do this, we should (and will) be considered contenders, i have always :rolleyes: at homers who tell us that it will take 2-3 years to build a defense because they are just stacking the deck to make excuses for another failed season because they know it is coming

Garrett has been HC for 3 years and we have NEVER had a 3 game winning streak under Garrett, playing in the abysmal NFCE, in the playofs we will need to win 3 games in a row against 3 of the best teams playing at their best.

therefore, as long as garrett is HC, i have little faith that even if we have a very good team, we will get to the NFC CG
  10. Jstopper

Jstopper Well-Known Member

333 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    I would have a slighty different draft seeing as how I dont believe safety is as big of an issue as some posters here. We took Johnson in the 4th in 2012 we took wilcox in the 3rd in 2013, I think it would be redundant to use our 1st or 2nd on a safety. We still need to let Wilcox grow he showed flashes last year, as well as see what Johnson can do while healthy. Go ahead and get the big uglies down in the trenches and some depth and watch suddenly Carr looks like the corner he was in KC again and Claiborne look like he did at LSU.
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I agree with you. I can't see the Cowboys drafting a safety early.
  12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,904 Messages
    2,375 Likes Received

to me, safety is more important than CB in this defense
    wilcox and johnson are no more than JAGs at this stage
    teams abused our safeties all last year and will do so again this year

if the team feels that there is a true centerfield FS in this draft, i would pull the trigger in rd 1 or 2
    McLovin likes this.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    I don't know 8-8 with one of the worst defense in franchise history, if this defense can play decent we have a chance.
  14. MichaelWinicki

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Right now Dallas has a shade less than $5 mil in cap space available.

It's not a question of cap space. They make a deal happen within those parameters.

It's more of a question on if they can get Allen at a reasonable price. He ain't worth what Ware received from Denver. Allen was a little better than average last year. He's no longer a top-10 or even a top-20 DE.

If Seattle wants to toss a ridiculous contract at him, then so be it.
  15. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,521 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    Maybe OP meant 26?
  16. MichaelWinicki

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I don't see the Cowboys cutting their ppg to 16 (or less).

But nor do I see them allowing the same or a higher amount per game in '14 either.

The statistically tendency is for those teams on the edges of the bell-curve to be pulled back towards the middle. That's what parity does.

The average ppg given up was 23.4. I could see the Dallas defense reaching that point, which would cut about 57 points off their 2013 total.
  17. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,157 Messages
    1,868 Likes Received
    That's sure what it looks like.

And, once again, I feel like we're in the middle of the pack here too.

Not close to as good as Seattle, but we may be offering more money.

Not close to as bad as Oakland, but not offering nearly as much money.

Once again, in the middle.

I think Allen's decision comes down to winning or money, he can't have both at this point.
  18. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,157 Messages
    1,868 Likes Received
    I think that the Cowboys can swing a 'Peppers type' deal for Allen if that's what it took.

But, that said, I think Oakland can offer much more up front and Seattle a high profile, great defense, and chance to win.

I don't see Dallas in the picture.
  19. MichaelWinicki

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I don't think so either. And I think it's also stopping the Cowboys from signing anyone else because they're waiting on Allen to make a decision.
  20. Jstopper

Jstopper Well-Known Member

333 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Wilcox was a rookie. Who had only converted to safety for his last 2 years of college. What did you expect from him? You are too fast to call him a JAG after 1 year, that is not accurate. As a second year safety with a much improved pass rush i believe we will be seeing a much improved backfield, and the same goes for Heath. I HATED him all year last year but now the seasons over and im looking from a logical standpoint he was a UDFA rookie so of course he was gonna look overwhelmed. I dont think our safety play is so bottom tier that we need to waste another top 3 round pick on it. Pass rush is more important
    thunderpimp91 likes this.