1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Tired Criticism: "We drafted backups!"

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by AbeBeta, Apr 29, 2012.

1. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,467 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    I've read this several times today. "What a horrible draft. We picked backups." I know that this was something Jerry said after a horrific draft in the 90s, but people keep mindlessly repeating it.

Do some of you really believe that there are tons of guys who are ready to start in the NFL that are taken in the later rounds? There are very few. With most guys, you hope they can come in, earn a backup spot and then in a few years compete for a starter's job.

Which leads me to the other tired argument. "We are picking Special Teams guys!" Just how is that a bad thing? Someone who projects to be a good ST player gets himself dressed every Sunday. He can contribute to ST while he's learning his spot in the D or O.

Honestly, what role do you expect for a 4th round OLB? Ya think he's here to take Spencer's job right away? What do you want out of a 6th round TE? You think he's taking snaps from Witten?
  2. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
  3. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,335 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I have no problem drafting back ups, Romo and Miles were brought in as a back ups and so were a lot of other good players. Crawford will see some action this season and hopefully develop into a player who can start.

I do have an issue with drafting guys just because they can contribute on special teams. You draft guys that you think have a high upside and who you think can develop into a player. That is how you develop depth and find jems in later rounds, not by picking up a punt returner who you know will never see the field other wise. Drafting for potential is how you land a Lissemore, drafting for ST needs is how you get stuck with a Joshua Thomas.
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,652 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    Charlie Casserly thinks Crawford will get in the rotation and if not start this year will start by next year.
  5. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,810 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    The first 3 guys are all potential starters that will play significant roles in the defense. Crawford, Wilber and Johnson have everything it takes to be a starter. Size, intangibles, athleticism & instincts.

I believe in 2013, Crawford and Wilber will be starting. Johnson's a big risk--and I hope he's not another Brewster--but at least he's got the athletic ability to make it in the NFL

Hanna and Coale will be major contributors in very defined roles.

I don't see this as another 2009 draft at all--where we drafted over achieving, team captain types that lacked certain measurables and could never ceiling as a starter.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    90s. You don't have to back that far.

They probably keep repeating it because the 2009 draft.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    The drafting backups or drafting special teams comment has to do with their projected career not year 1 instant impact.
  8. montgod

montgod Active Member

1,846 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Exactly
  9. fivetwos

fivetwos Member

120 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm not a kool-aid guy, but this was IMO by far the best draft they've had since 2005.

There will be those who will cry about lack of OL, but you can't have at all in one draft, especially when you use your 2nd to move up in the first, which was unquestionably the right thing to do for that kind of a player.

This is realistically year two of a three-year roster rebuild. This year's UFA and draft haul puts them slightly ahead of the timeline IMO.

At any rate, this team is so much better right now than it was on Jan 1 it isn't even debatable.
  10. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,845 Messages
    2,296 Likes Received

Jerry said special teams in 2009... he said backups in the mid 90's.
  11. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'll just take everyone elses word that Crawford is going to dominate.... I don't believe it.... but everyone seems to think so... so I'll support that and pray everyone is right and I'm wrong.

I like the WR Coale. I like Hanna. Good value for where they were taken. I'm just worried about this draft. I don't think Wilbur is better than Anthony Spencer and Anthony Spencer is just an above average OLB, IMO. I've felt that we've needed to upgrade Spencer for a while now.

Johnson was listed a rookie free agent.

Love pick #1. Claiborne was my dream 1st RNDer who I never thought we had a remote chance to nab. I'll just shut up and be happy with that. But my gut tells me, other than Claiborne and Colae being a good slot guy, the rest of these guys are going to be busts. That's my gut feeling and I'm entitled to it. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong.

12. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,810 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    I'm in the minority, but Wilber may be my favourite pick. This morning (newborn in the house, was up early lol) I went on YT and looked at a bunch of other prospects highlights vs. Wake Forest and Wilber is all over the field. He makes a ton of plays in the backfield. He's got great instincts and explosion.

He's still way too small to start but I think one year of work w/ the team and he'll be strong enough.
  13. AbeBeta

25,467 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    That point is ridiculous.

There are not tons of guys in the later rounds that anyone is projecting confidently as long term starters.
  14. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,935 Messages
    1,001 Likes Received
    In the 3rd day press conference Garrett emphasized their belief that all of these guys could become "position" players that could start.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    The drafting for backups label was a direct comment from Jerry Jones. It's about filling your draft with players you don't believe have the potential to start at some point in the future.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the players actually being backups year 1.
  16. AbeBeta

25,467 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    and it wasn't about drafting guys who projected as career backups. It was about getting, say a RB, whose job it would be to backup Emmitt Smith. Do you honestly think we intentionally passed up higher talent guys?

But please -- show me the "direct quote"
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,896 Messages
    2,144 Likes Received
    The stats say:
    3rd round 25% chance starting at some point (no mention of how long)
    4th round 19% chance
    all round after 4th combined: 9% chance

I think the odds are better for Tyrone than 25%
    I think the odds are better than 1 in 5 for our 4th rounders
    I think if you combine all of the rest, the odds are better than 1/10

If you look at it that way, they did just fine.
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,896 Messages
    2,144 Likes Received
    What about last year? That was very solid, and if Carter pans out at all it will be excellent.
  19. AbeBeta

25,467 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    I don't know that I really like the "starter" definition. This is more about snap count than being a nominal starter. For example, if you look at how we run our offense, we have 11 "starters" but 2nd TE and 3rd WR are positions that are not usually defined as starters, but are usually high snap count players. Same with #2 RB.

On D, the 4th D-line guy, nickel ILB, and 3rd corner all fit that bill as well.

Looking at what we picked in rounds 3 and beyond, we grabbed guys who will immediately be in the mix for 4th DE, 2nd TE, and #3 WR. We got an OLB who has a chance to knock Spencer off the roster in 2013, and a guy who immediately jumps into the mix at safety.

Obviously, all of these guys aren't going to pan out -- but it is clear that we aren't targeting guys who project only as backups
  20. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Like with most draftees, we drafted "tweeners" Meaning they're between the college and pro level.