1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Tired Criticism: "We drafted backups!"

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by AbeBeta, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Screw drafting backups. I want to draft the waterboy!

[IMG]
  2. esmith1790

esmith1790 Member

161 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    what is ur faith in Carter?

It seems that the cowboys dont really have any faith in him.

They signed Conner as ILB.

There was talk that if they didnt trade up for Claibornne, they would have taken another ILB in round 2. Then late in the draft they took another ILB.

why spend all those resources, unless you think Carter is not ready.
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,201 Messages
    735 Likes Received
    Connor is a good run stopping ILB. Carter's real talent is in pass coverage. You need at least 3 ILBs.

You see, if you think thing through you can avoid silly questions
  4. esmith1790

esmith1790 Member

161 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You think my question is silly?

So if they didnt do the trade they were going to draft another, ILB in the 2nd round.

Lee, Carter, Conner, (Bobby Wagner -2nd round pick), McSurdy.

So if they didnt do the trade, and still drafted Bobby Wagner to be an ILB.

Then who is the odd man out? Conner the guy u just signed do a deal? Carter is down the depth chart now?

Does your new toy, 2nd Round pick, Bobby Wagner get 4th ILB duties?

I dont think the cowboys have much faith in Carter, You cant keep drafting players to replace draft pics. You never get anywhere.

They should have said in round 2, Bobby Wagner???? Nope we got Carter and Conner. Lets draft a Center or OL.

So what would your depth chart be if they didnt make the trade and drafted Wagner?
  5. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    IMO, if you don't come away with ONE player who can have a significant impact in year one in the last four rounds you failed. We'll see how we did a the season progresses. I really think Coale and Hanna can do some things from day one for us.
  6. AbeBeta

25,201 Messages
    735 Likes Received
    Connor signed a relatively light contract. A two year one at that. Wagner is a good player against the run ... a guy who in a year or two could take Connor's role.

Again, think it through kiddo.
  7. AbeBeta

25,201 Messages
    735 Likes Received
    So just about every team in the NFL ends up failing?
  8. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    21 players drafted in rounds 4-7 of the 2011 draft started at least 6 games last year in the NFL. So, no.
  9. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,588 Messages
    427 Likes Received
    Before FA, we had two (2) ILBs on the roster. Total. One of them (Carter) will basically be a rookie. The Cowboys would be remiss if they didn't add a couple of them to the roster. Also, if they'd taken the ILB in round 2, they may have gone a different way in round 7.

The Cowboys say that they draft BPA, but then when they go out and do it, nobody believes them.
  10. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,505 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    I saw him say that and that was a surprise to me. Hopefully this kid proved him right
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,342 Messages
    1,859 Likes Received
    I don't agree with that at all. They are losing two ILBs that played a ton of snaps last year and they need two to replace them.

Obviously there is still some unknown regarding Carter (there would have to be given the injury and no camp) but Conner was brought in for depth and to be in a rotation. That said nothing at all about Carter, it was just about value and stabilty at a position.

I even think Carter may get some reps at OLB.
  12. AbeBeta

25,201 Messages
    735 Likes Received
    How many of those were on decent teams though?

If you suck you are likely to have far more holes to fill

How many started b/c of injury and not b/c they won the job?
  13. esmith1790

esmith1790 Member

161 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    we need our 2nd rounders to start, we cant keep going into the draft looking for players to replace players we just drafted high. All we end up doing is runninng on a treadmill and getting no where.

i agree that carter is an unknown and Conner was brought in for a rotation player, but if they kept the 2nd and drafted another ILB, what would the rotation be then?

that is my point.

Lee starts, Carter starts with Conner as the rotation player. We have other lesser talented players on the roster at ILB and some UDFA are brought in at ILB.

why would the cowboys potentially draft another ILB high in the draft, 2nd round.

that means in year 2013, you have Lee and Wagner as your starters and Conner and Carter as your rotation guys?

Did we really just draft Carter to be a rotation only player?

that 2nd round pick could have been a OC in the draft, alot more impact to the team then just a depth rotation player at ILB.
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If Carter could just become a great nickel LB like Kevin Burnett became at the end of his tenure with the Cowboys, he would be a huge asset, a huge upgrade from last year, and play a ton of snaps.
  15. esmith1790

esmith1790 Member

161 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    i totally agree, but if the cowboys drafted Wagner at that 45 pick, what would he play? Here and there and next year cut Conner?

So that means, 2013 would be Lee and Wagner starting and Carter as the nickel LBer?

I think the Cowboys need more then just a nickel ILBer with 2nd round picks.

They kept talking about getting 3 starters in all 3 rounds.

2013 draft we will probably just draft another DE to push Hatcher and Spears off the roster.
  16. AbeBeta

25,201 Messages
    735 Likes Received
    Nickel ILB isn't really seen by most staff as rotation -- that's an essential position
  17. AbeBeta

25,201 Messages
    735 Likes Received
    Wow, you really want the team to not consider someone because of Dan Connor?

I think that is the true "running on a treadmill" thinking
  18. esmith1790

esmith1790 Member

161 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think Dan Conner is a wash compared to Brooking. I expect to get the same results out of him as we got out of Brooking.

At some point the draft picks have to start panning out. We cant keep spending picks to replace players we just drafted 2-4 years ago at the same position.

We need to start hitting on some so we can focus on the other needs.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,392 Messages
    6,401 Likes Received
    Yes, I'm going to show you the direct quote from 17 years ago.

This was an epic fail thread. Shake it off and try again.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,392 Messages
    6,401 Likes Received
    I don't think year 1 factors in anymore than year 2, or year 3 and so on.