1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

ACORN Protests Arizona Sheriff's Decision

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Feb 4, 2009.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

37,347 Messages
    3,489 Likes Received
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...eriffs-decision-segregate-illegal-immigrants/

ACORN Protests Arizona Sheriff's Decision to Segregate Illegals From Gen Pop

FOXNews.com
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The community organization group ACORN is protesting a decision made by the self-proclaimed "toughest sheriff in America" to keep illegal immigrants at tents that house prisoners, separate from the rest of the inmate population.

ACORN has lambasted Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's action, calling it a "blatant disregard for civil rights."

Arpaio announced Wednesday that he plans to accompany about 200 inmates -- along with members of the media -- from a Phoenix area jail to Tent City on Wednesday afternoon.

He says the move will save money, although he hasn't explained how other than to say it's cheaper to house inmates in tents than in traditional jails.

"Sheriff Joe Arpaio and the Maricopa County Sherriff's Department have routinely violated the civil rights of members of communities through racial profiling, retaliatory arrests aimed at silencing critics and the separation of families, while simultaneously neglecting our public safety needs," ACORN said in a statement released Wednesday.

Maricopa County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox agrees with ACORN, saying she thinks Arpaio could potentially be violating the immigrants' rights by keeping them separated. She said she'd like to talk to the Justice Department and have staff there issue an opinion.

Wilcox -- a frequent critic of Apraio's immigration policies -- called the move a publicity stunt.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  2. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,423 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    What's the problem? How is seperating them a violationa of civil right. I swear whenever someone does something people don't liek they call it a violation of civil rights.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

82,535 Messages
    6,101 Likes Received
    Who does Joe think these inmates are US service men who have lived in and have housed in tents? No these are criminals and they deserve better.:laugh2: I have heard of this Sheriff before and I have to say I like his style.
  4. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,858 Messages
    717 Likes Received
    Im sorry, when did illegal immigrants get civil rights in this country?
  5. Temo

Temo Well-Known Member

3,790 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Civil rights are not reserved for citizens.

The reason it's argued that this goes against civil rights is because the separation implies that being an illegal immigrant is some special crime that require special detention.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

37,347 Messages
    3,489 Likes Received
    Found this on Illegal Alien's rights.

Do Illegal Immigrants Have Constitutional Rights

I made a comment taking exception to another author's claim that illegal immigrants have no rights. I suggested that it is important to distinguish between constitutional rights and privileges reserved to citizens. The responses to my comment indicate that a great many people do not know what their constitutionally protected rights are.

The following comes from http://www.slate.com/id/1008367/

"……..the Bill of Rights applies to everyone, even illegal immigrants. So an immigrant, legal or illegal, prosecuted under the criminal code has the right to due process, a speedy and public trial, and other rights protected by the Fifth and Sixth Amendments. This fact sheet from the National Lawyers Guild outlines a host of rights afforded to immigrants and citizens alike.

(There are a few rights reserved for citizens. Among them are the right to vote, the right to hold most federal jobs, and the right to run for political office.)"

The following is taken from National Lawyers Guild website:

http://www.nlg.org/resources/kyr/kyr_english.htm

I. What rights do I have?

Whether or not you're a citizen, you have these constitutional rights:

The Right to Remain Silent. The Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution gives every person the right not to answer questions asked by a police officer or government agent.

The Right to be Free from "Unreasonable Searches and Seizures". The Fourth Amendment is supposed to protect your privacy. Without a warrant, police or government agents may not search your home or office without your consent, and you have the right to refuse to let them in. They can enter and search without a warrant in an emergency. New laws have expanded the government's authority to conduct surveillance. It is possible that your e-mail, cell and other telephone calls, and conversations in your home, office, car or meeting place are being monitored without your knowledge.

The Right to Advocate for Change. The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects the rights of groups and individuals who advocate changes in laws, government practices, and even the form of government. However, the INS can target non-citizens for deportation because of their First Amendment activities, as long as it could deport them for other reasons.

Note the italics of the last statement. We are all aware that INS is not actively pursuing every illegal immigrant in this country but clearly they can single out individuals who are engaged in exercising their rights.

The legal protections afforded by the constitution do not apply to simple deportation proceedings.

Once again from http://www.slate.com/id/1008367/

But immigration proceedings are matters of administrative law, not criminal law. (As a result, the consequence of violating your immigration status is not jail but deportation.) And Congress has nearly full authority to regulate immigration without interference from the courts. Because immigration is considered a matter of national security and foreign policy, the Supreme Court has long held that immigration law is largely immune from judicial review. Congress can make rules for immigrants that would be unacceptable if applied to citizens.

In conclusion, while in this country, illegal immigrants are covered by all the rights guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. Exercising those rights may subject them to deportation because of their alien status. Additional laws apply if the illegal immigrant is suspected of being a terrorist but that is not the subject I am attempting to address.

When illegal entry is treated as a matter of criminal law, instead of being expelled through an administrative proceeding, those accused have the right to a jury trial and all the rules of evidence apply. The government is burdened with "proof beyond a reasonable doubt." Imagine the cost and the caseload.

(This article was revised on December 6, 2007, to reflect the information provided by Mr. Hardin in a comment below.)

In pursuing Mr. Hardin's comment further I came across another interesting point. While illegal entry is subject to criminal prosecution under the statute cited, illegal presence is not a crime under the statute cited. Someone picked up for over staying a visa would be subject to deportation proceedings under administrative law but would not be subject to criminal prosecution simply for being here.
  7. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,745 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    They are illegal, they do not have a bill of rights.
  8. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,423 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    What civil right was violated?
  9. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    ACORN can go to hell in a sled rocket.
    Destroy ACORN AND ACLU NOW.
  10. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    They probably just want the opportunity to register them to vote.
  11. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Spoken like a true fascist!!!
  12. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I've seen shows on his tent city in the past and it really doesn't look too bad IMO. I'm pretty sure most people are out there voluntarily, they receive something like 1.5 day credits for every day they spend out there, and they do their time out in the fresh air instead of trapped in concrete walls.
  13. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,519 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    I don't know how you came to think that, but it's very wrong. The government would have already had the idea to round up and enslave all the illegal immigrants by now if it were true. They can't do that for a reason, though, and it's in one of those amendments to the Constitution.
  14. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,745 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Outside of the Eighth Amendment they are up a creek of their own doing and should pay the price accordingly.

All other amendments have been suspended by by various courts in various precedents and because illegal immigration is considered a national security issue the state department is permitted to expel illegals without court approval and due process.
  15. jwhardin

jwhardin Member

412 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would imagine that the majority of those illegals in his jail have committed some other crime. We have immigration laws, and to my understanding violating a law is a crime, so ergo, they are criminals.
  16. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    Arpaio is the most hated and admired man in this state. That's right...both.

It is no publicity stunt. He doesn't do this for publicity. He does it to get the word out that crime in his backyard is a high price to pay. All you have to do to stay out of his jails is not break the law in his jurisdiction.

I know someone who was in his tent jail and wore the pink undies and ate the green bologna. Steve says he will never like Arpaio but he will never be back in jail again either.

Is he cruel? Some may say so. I honestly don't care. I care about law abiding citizens rights more than prisoners rights and people who leave his jails do not keep on committing crimes in his areas. He says jail is a not a picnic. Thank you. It shouldn't be.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

43,022 Messages
    2,537 Likes Received
    Can you imagine if all our jails were like this. How many THOUSANDS of criminals would never committ another crime. How many THOUSANDS of innocent victims would never have their lives violated. AND ACORN and the ACLU just care about criminals. All you ever need to know about them.
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

82,535 Messages
    6,101 Likes Received
    That is exactly what I have heard about him. Jail is not supposed to be fun or comfortable and like you I care more about the law abiding citizens than I do the criminals running the streets.
  19. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,807 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    uuum. Actually being an illegal immigrant is ILLEGAL. And is a special crime. We need to ship all these illegal immigrants who break other laws out of this country without even housing them. If they are here trying to be productive they get a pass. But you break a law and are illegal. YOUR GONE
  20. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    A few years ago there was a woman who ran for Governor here. I forget her name. Being a female and running for Governor in Arizona is a pretty good proposition. Three states besides Arizona have had more than 1 female Governor. Kansas, Texas, and Connecticut. Arizona has had 4, including our last 3.

So this lady's main campaign talking point seemed to be gripes about Arpaio's methods and the tent city jail. At some gatherings she would get some applause. At many she got flat out booed.

Then came a face off with Sheriff Joe and naturally the truth came out. Her son was a prisoner in the jail for selling drugs to school kids. I bet she didn't get 1000 votes statewide.