1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Adrian Peterson 106 yards behind Emmitt at same point in career

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 4, 2013.

1. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,762 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Peterson will likely never break 22's career rushing total, but I doubt 22 would get close to his own record if he played for the vikes in the modern era.

Troy Aikman vs Christian Ponder pretty much says it all.
  2. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,264 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    :bang2:Last night their was lunacy discussing Emmitt and this morning it continues. The discrediting of Emmitt by you and some others is unbelievable. It's bad enough he doesn't get credit from non Cowboy fans and it's even more when he gets no credit from Cowboy fans. All this 'if he played for this team he wouldn't be this', 'if he didn't play with these players he wouldn't have done that', 'if he played in this era he wouldn't have do this', 'if he played with 4 fingers instead of 5 he would be this', 'if he played 10 years he really played and add 7 year to that and divide by 4 he wouldn't do this'. Never seen so many people try to discredit Emmitt more than any other player in NFL history on a daily basis. Jerry Rice never gets this kind of criticism and he played with great players his entire career whether it be in San Fran or Oakland. Ridiculous.
  3. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,762 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Ok but I didnt say a bad word about emmitt or do any psuedo math. Just pointed out that the game has changed a lot in 20 years and that AP is running without a credible passing game which makes his job pretty hard, yet he still had 6 YPC. I don't think AP will reach emmitts career total and I don't think any RB could do that on the present day vikes, including emmitt.
  4. mldardy

6,264 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    This isn't saying much. Most of this board can't stand Deion. Come up with something else.
  5. mldardy

6,264 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    You didn't? Sure about that? You said you doubt 22 would get close to his own record if he played for the vikes in the modern era. How do you know? Oh you know because of Troy Aikman vs. Christian Ponder.:rolleyes: Ok got it.
  6. xout

xout Believer

487 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am a big Smith fan but AD is by far the superior athlete. If he can stay healthy and the Vikes build a better line around him, there's no reason to think he won't have a shot at breaking the record.

22 was so durable during his career because of Moose and the line he played behind. Not to take away from his greatness but it's true. It was the perfect storm of an amazing RB and an awesome supporting cast.
  7. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    98 Likes Received
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,383 Messages
    2,937 Likes Received
    :fact:
  9. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,066 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    I don't think saying Emmitt had more help than AP detracts from Emmitt's accomplishments. Remember, Emmitt like AP faced eight-man fronts. That's when Aikman would work the passing game. But the Cowboys offense still funneled through Emmitt. He still averaged a heavy workload despite the talent around him. I don't have the figures at my finger tips, but I believe Emmitt's workload was among the highest at that time and since. (Anyone who wants to pull the stats be my guess.)

There's no doubt AP doesn't have as much talent around him as Emmitt. However, I don't know if I can say that AP faces better teams than the teams Emmitt played against.
  10. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,198 Messages
    773 Likes Received
    We had the same topic come up with LaDanian Tomlinson a few years ago... It's not just about pace, its about longevity.
  11. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,604 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    No, quite frankly.

You still don't get it.
  12. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Yes, there is. He's more than 1,300 yards behind Emmitt at the same age. Emmitt is by far the most productive feature back in history after age 27 -- more than 1,000 yards ahead of every other player in history. But Adrian Peterson, who hasn't even matched Emmitt's pace during his prime, is going to smash Emmitt's record for yards after age 27 by more than 1,300 yards? Good luck with that.
  13. AdamJT13

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Oops -- I added the wrong season for Emmitt. He's actually 1,311 yards ahead of Peterson at the same age.
  14. Nexx

Nexx Well-Known Member

1,543 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    if anyone can do it AD can but i doubt he will.
  15. AdamJT13

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    There are 19 retired running backs who had at least 1,500 career rushing attempts through their age 27 season (Peterson has 1,754). Here are their rushing totals starting in their age 28 seasons --

8195 Emmitt Smith
    7118 Walter Payton
    6347 Curtis Martin
    5199 Jerome Bettis
    5097 Barry Sanders
    5003 Eric Dickerson
    4508 LaDainian Tomlinson
    4443 Thurman Thomas
    4219 Marshall Faulk
    3655 Ricky Williams
    3567 Eddie George
    3020 Edgerrin James
    2990 Jim Brown
    2909 Ottis Anderson
    2806 Jamal Lewis
    2412 Earl Campbell
    2028 Ahman Green
    721 Clinton Portis
    81 Rodney Hampton

Peterson would need to gain 9,506 yards starting in his age 28 season -- 1,311 more than Emmitt, 2,388 more than Payton, 3,159 more than Martin and at least 4,300 more than everyone else, including more than twice as many as Tomlinson.
  16. DuceizBak

DuceizBak Active Member

424 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I notice only cowboys fans consider Emmit Smith the best running back[no offense]

He was great, i'm not saying he wasn't the best. That's just what i've noticed.
  17. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,076 Messages
    843 Likes Received
    Never say never with this cat. He is special. I would not be surprised if he retires with the best Single game ever and breaks 300, already leads the way with 296, the best single season with 2200 + and breaks My boy Emmit's record too. Some one said not sure if he is physically superior to Emmitt...really? If you are talking durability alone, I agree, E was one of a kind when it comes to that, but speed, power AND shiftyness goes to AP. I hope 22's record lasts forever, but watching an all time great like AP or AD as they call him get close will be fun.
  18. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,412 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Really interesting stuff. Imo the most unexpected name on the list is Bettis. Power backs just aren't supposed to last that long.
  19. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,499 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    well... I must be 100 cause Emmitt beats Barry for me.
  20. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,499 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    Flash over substance in this case. Barry looked good but didn't produce the same and everyone else thinks it was all Emmits oline, they must have missed him running over their linebackers and dbacks.