Agent: The Truth Behind Ware’s Exit From Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by iceberg, Mar 13, 2014.

1. iceberg

iceberg well at least we're not the browns Zone Supporter

30,825 Messages
    3,514 Likes Received
    DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) – The agent for DeMarcus Ware is speaking out to set the record straight on Ware’s exit from the Dallas Cowboys.

In a conversation with 105.3 The Fan’s Shan Shariff, Pat Dye, Ware’s agent, contradicted reports that Ware was released because he was unwilling to take a salary reduction.

“DeMarcus, each of the last three years, has restructured his contract to create salary cap room just like they did with Romo and with Witten in the past. He’s always been very much a team guy,” said Dye.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/03/13/agent-the-truth-behind-wares-exit-from-cowboys/
  2. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,293 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    I love how every player that restructures really took one for the team...no they didn't, they just got it mostly in bonus money, they lost nothing
  3. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

1,355 Messages
    1,068 Likes Received
    Exactly. If Ware took a salary cut this year, he'd get it either this year or next year in the form of a bonus. Sounds to me like he just wanted out....
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

23,783 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    What he says sounds about right to me.
  5. iceberg

30,825 Messages
    3,514 Likes Received
    did you read the entire article?
    roughneck266 likes this.
  6. CT Dal Fan

1,355 Messages
    1,068 Likes Received
    Yes, but I still think the agent is trying to make Jones look like the bad guy. Ware isn't exactly poor, if he wanted to be a Cowboy 100 percent he would have at least asked the Cowboys what their offer was, even at the risk of being "insulted."
    ceerrece likes this.
  7. iceberg

30,825 Messages
    3,514 Likes Received
    well in the end we simply couldn't afford to pay for that level of performance so i view it as mutual respect that jones let him go see what he was worth. i'm gonna miss seeing ware in the cowboys uniform, but i hope he gets his superbowl shot. all class.

agents do what agents do so the players don't have to. :)
    Reality, Eanwen, bsheeern and 6 others like this.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

23,783 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    It didn't come across as making Jones to be the bad guy. It came across that the Cowboys had some tough obstacles with how much money they could spend, which is true.
    Eanwen and Illini88228 like this.
  9. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,821 Messages
    2,858 Likes Received
    Totally agree. In reality it isn't a wash, its a big gain for the player to get the money immediately instead of it being spread out over 6 months. You can invest it all the next day and bank the interest over that six months instead of cashing paychecks.
  10. CT Dal Fan

1,355 Messages
    1,068 Likes Received
    Couldn't have been said any better.
  11. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

5,828 Messages
    3,416 Likes Received
    And they got it upfront, not throughout the season. Time value of money says always take the lump sum . More time to make the money work for you
  12. Clove

Clove Shrinkage Zone Supporter

41,748 Messages
    3,340 Likes Received
    If people bothered to have read the ad, they would see that the entire thing was amicable. They didn't want Ware to play for his salary, so Ware wanted to be on a team that WOULD, and not a team run be a collection of imbeciles. He also had the respect enough not to go to Washington or other NFC east teams that were drooling all over him. And yet, a lot of the fans around here are totally disrespectful to the guy. So now I look at what we've had since Romo took over, and it looks like Romo, Witten, Garrett & Jones. Yuck!
    Erik_H, Wheeltax, egn22 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

18,653 Messages
    7,085 Likes Received
    Let's not pretend that a chance for a ring didn't factor in here

Ware is not dumb, he knows this team is not winning a ring anytime soon, we can't even break 500 with our trainee head coach

Ware knew if he ever wanted a chance to win a ring before he retires, he had to leave Dallas
  14. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

8,524 Messages
    4,437 Likes Received
    No matter what his agent says, the bottom line is Ware knew he stood to make considerably more money somewhere else and so did the Cowboys. Neither party in this instance should be looked at in a condescending light. I think Jerry did the right thing and I don't even think his comments at the combine were a big deal.
  15. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,863 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    He's a class act and it's unfortunate when players like him won't finish their careers with the same team
    AlterEgo likes this.
  16. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

3,360 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    So true!! I wish Ware the best, he deserves a ring he would never get here. Same could be said of Romo and Witten who have been saddled with crappy coaching for most of their careers.
  17. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

7,065 Messages
    1,181 Likes Received
    You don't have to TRY and make Jones look bad. He does that quite well on his own.
    Seven, lane, khiladi and 2 others like this.
  18. Pabst

Pabst Well-Known Member

1,109 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    The team did what they thought they needed to do, and so did Ware.

The article also alludes to Ware turning down offers from NFC East teams, due to his affection for the Cowboys. I don't doubt it, considering there were leaks some time ago referencing Snyder's desire to sign Ware should he be released.

In the end, I think the article paints both Ware and the Cowboys in a positive light. You can argue against the move, but both sides handled it with a deal of class.
  19. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

7,462 Messages
    1,435 Likes Received
    Wow sounds like utter anomosity between the two parties.
  20. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,239 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    What do you know, the real dirty inside scoop is that everyone was realistic and adult and respectful about the whole thing. How utterly predictable assuming you were watching the situation unfold without some stupid agenda.
    Phrozen Phil, OhSnap and zrinkill like this.