1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: AJC on Brooking to Dallas *merged*

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by 50cent, Feb 28, 2009.

1. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys can draft either:

Darry Beckwith

or

Gerald McRath

This deal will look much better. Brooking came cheap. It will take at least a third rounder to get one of them.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,073 Messages
    3,024 Likes Received
    Supposedly we're very high on that kid.
  3. DaBoyz73

DaBoyz73 Member

410 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hope we check his knee out first.
  4. MWILL

MWILL Fear the Afro

952 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Be Patient, Dallas isn't finished with free agency and the draft hasn't started yet. ;)
  5. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,437 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    I was thinking about that also. A couple of years ago, everyone wanted us to be like the Patriots and find the right mix of cheap veterans and young talent.

Now that Dallas is trying to add a cheap veteran to its young talent, everyone is in an uproar. (I would love to see us make a few steals of other teams' young talent, but that's more difficult to do.)

I truly believe the right formula is finding that balance and this is a good move from that standpoint. We've got a pretty good young talent base and need to pick through the vet "scraps" to find players who can supplement that talent.
  6. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Leadership doesn't necessarily transplant easily and well. We learned that with Zach. But it doesn't necessitate the same thing will happen with Brooking.

Hey, it might not work but I'm convinced that's the primary goal here -- get a lockerroom guy who can also tackle.
  7. isawoj

isawoj Member

174 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He was a probowler as an ILB, moved outside in a 4-3 and has fallen off since. Brooking as an ILB in a 3-4 is just fine. Plus, he is a character guy that is badly needed.
  8. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

The Lions are needing a linebacker. They might take one at the top of the third round. I wish they would take Carpenter and leave Beckwith alone. I need to check out the other teams that need linebackers.

N.E. has three second round picks now. They like LSU players. I hope they stay away from Beckwith. Perhaps, they think he projects to Jerod Mayo's spot. It's seems like they would like a pure SILB since Mayo covers so much.
    Guys like Frantz Joseph, Jasper Brinkley, Scott McKillop, ect...

I like Beckwith in round 3, but Dorell Scott could help Dallas, too. The Cowboys need to find a way to get both of them.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,921 Messages
    4,487 Likes Received
    He only moved outside last year to fill a void. He took one for the club. It wasn't a move to improve a Will but to fill a need. He still was a leader in tackles although he did not get a sack. He'll be ok as a WILB although I'd like Patrick Willis instead. That would be unreasonable. And his character is impecable.
  10. mmohican29

mmohican29 Well-Known Member

2,464 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    I like Brooking- he's a football player. He's not going to get you beat and he will make plays here and again. He is better suited for this role in this defense than he was at OLB in Atlanta. He's a character football player and I think he will be an upgrade from what Zack brought to the table last year by quite a bit.

Say what you will, but Zach wasn't good last year at all really. Not terrible, but definitely not good.
  11. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

LOL... what he said...

But I'd have to advise that guy in the .gif that you need ARMS to wear a banded sleeve golf shirt... a neck would help, too...
  12. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    At this point, I feel compelled to note that Brooking has played in 128 consecutive games... if he's nothing else, he's durable...
  13. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A PICNIC??!?!!!

How can you even THINK about eating at a time like this??

And here I thought you were hardcore...
  14. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Imagine if the Cowboys signed Nnamdi Asomugha... :D
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :hammer:

That's exactly what I thought when I heard the news today. Belichick loves to sign these old Pro Bowl type vet LBs on the cheap that are good pros, know how to play and prepare, are tough and durable, and won't make mental errors. Brooking is exactly that kind of guy, and I bet if Belichick hadn't hit on two young ILBs last year, he'd be interested himself. Remember how he wanted Zach last year but ZT chose us?

Not every move we make is a disaster, people.