1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

AL - East

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Aug 30, 2010.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,880 Messages
    1,779 Likes Received
    It's money time.

Yanks and Rays are tied to start the week of 8/30 with a record of

Yanks have a 4 game stretch with Oakland (.504), a 3 game set over the weekend with the Jays (.523) and a three game set with Baltimore(.366). After that, they start a 22 game stretch where 16 of the 22 games are against the Rays, Rangers and Red Sox. Yanks must dominate this 10 game stretch they are about to start. If they don't, they could end up out of the post season all together, depending on the Sox.

Rays finish the season with their next 12 games against the Jays 6 games, Baltimore 3 games and Boston 3 games. Their last 20 games are against 3 games against the Angels, 7 games against the Yanks the last 11 games are against the Ms 3 games, Baltimore 3 games and KC 4 games. Their season closers are cake.

I honestly think that the Yankees need to go, at a minimum, 8-2 in this next 10 games stretch or they will not win the Division, and may find themselves out of post season play.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The Rays pitches appears more solid than the Yankees does right now. Head to head, I think the Rays are a better team at this point.

Of course, that can all change in the blink of an eye.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

34,880 Messages
    1,779 Likes Received
    Rays have a slightly better team ERA then do the Yanks so you may be right. A lot will be decided in these next few weeks. Rays and Yanks go head to head a lot. Teixiera is only hitting like .257 this year, which is his worst year in the Majors. He has to come around if the Yankees are going to make a run IMO.
  4. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

The Yankees or Rays can go .500 the rest of the way and the Red Sox would have to go 24 and 7 to pass them.

The division doesn't really matter between them as it only matters for homefield in the ALCS but the Rays play well in NY and the Yankees have 40%or more of the crowd in St. Pete thanks to their historical ties to the area.

I do agree that in order for the Yankees to win the division, they need to beat up on the lesser teams they have left. The Rays definitely have the lighter schedule down the stretch.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

34,880 Messages
    1,779 Likes Received
    Hey Stan,

How are you?
  6. ABQCOWBOY

34,880 Messages
    1,779 Likes Received
    Yanks and Rays both won last night.

81-50, leading the majors.
  7. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    8/31

The Yankee's win, THEEEEEEE YANKEEEEEEEEE'S WIN!!!!!

Yankees 9 A's 3
    Bombers bats are hot, 3 more dingers

Devil Rays get stomped 13-5
  8. Alumni2k11

Alumni2k11 Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Go Yankees.
  9. tico

tico Active Member

548 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Or the Yankees just got to bring the wood every night & save our pitching!

RedSux are done!
  10. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

uggh.

Jon sterling, quite possibly the worst radio play by play man in the entire business.
  11. Alumni2k11

Alumni2k11 Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    lol, he can be hard to listen to at times. His corny nicknames for all the players kill me the most.
  12. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    9/1

Yankees take 2 in a row from A's

Rays take 1 from BlueJays
  13. tico

tico Active Member

548 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    nope, "HE GONE" really makes the hair on my back standup!. Ken Harrelson from the WhiteSux...
  14. ABQCOWBOY

34,880 Messages
    1,779 Likes Received
    Morning of Sept 2, Yanks beat A's 4-3, Rays over Jay's 2-1.

AL East:

Yanks 83-50

Rays 82-51

Boston falling 8 games back.
  15. Sam I Am

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This.

Even my wife who has been going to Yankee games her entire life can't stand him and that damn Yankee win crap.
  16. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    he is terrible.

I grew up a yankee fan. I was a yankee fan with all my heat till mattingly retired. Then it just wasnt the same, then when they traded for clemens I was all done.

having said that, I worked in a grocery store produce department when I was in high school and college and in the back I listened to the yankees every night and sterling and kay made me want to blow my brains out they are so bad.

The arrogance and homerism is so off the charts from sterling I dont know how anyone could tolerate him. Now every team in baseball has a homer announcer or too, the rangers have josh lewin, the man makes mickey spagnola come off like bill O'reilly. I grew up listening to bill white and phil rizzuto on wpix 11 for yankee broadcasts. Half the show was a canoli commercial for maria spiducci's!! bakery or whatever yet he was still better than sterling....Bill white was great.

Luckily the rangers have the absolute greatness of Eric nadal. I dont think fans around the country even know who he is, I didnt when I got here in 03, but he is absolutely fantastic.

The DFW area has tremendous radio and tv guys for their sports teams and Nadal may very well be at the top of the list. Ironically he is from the Bronx.
  17. Sam I Am

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I agree. Though I must say, Josh Lewin is big time homer, but he can make the game exciting to listen to sometimes.

My absolute favorite TV/radio sports guy for the Dallas / Fort Worth area is and always will be Mark Holtz. (R.I.P.)

The odd thing is Brad Sham is loved by almost all Cowboys fans, but while I think he is okay; I'm just not a huge fan. He has sort of a monotoned voice and that just doesn't do it for me.
  18. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    9/2

Yankess 5 A's 0

3-0 to start the grind. Not a bad start.

Granderson swinging a hot bat.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

34,880 Messages
    1,779 Likes Received
    Actually, 4-0. They took all four from the A's.

Granderson had a good day but if you want to know who is red hot right now, it's Teixiera.

Over the last 4 games, Mark Teixeira has posted the following numbers:

AB 13, R 5, H 9, HR 2, RBIs 7, SO 1, BB 2. In that 4 game stretch he batted .692 with no Errors.

He is smoking hot right now.
  20. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    just give CC the Cy Young right now..that race is over