1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Alabama junior WR Julio Jones had excellent game against LSU star Patrick Peterson

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Nov 10, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,117 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Julio Jones: Alabama (6-4, 220)
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scouts-notebook-offense-1144.html
    Don’t close the case just yet on the nation’s top wide receiver prospect, as Alabama’s Julio Jones — who has been brilliant for most of the year — had one of his signature games this weekend vs. who many suspect to be the top cornerback drafted come April in LSU’s Patrick Peterson. Jones was singled up for most of the day with Peterson and finished the game with 10 catches for 89 yards and a touchdown and seemed to really keep his focus and concentration throughout, one of the biggest questions I had about his game coming in.

Watching Jones last season he looked a bit too bulky for his own good, losing some of the impressive explosion and fluidity he displayed for such a big guy as a freshman. However, he looks a little leaner this year, which has really helped his play dramatically in the process in my opinion. He’s not only doing a much better job cleanly changing directions and accelerating out of his breaks in order to gain separation on sharply breaking routes, but his overall feel as a route runner has really improved. He’s doing a much better job changing gears in order to set up routes, which allows him to consistently gain a step and then use his big, long frame to adjust to the football. He showcased great body control and focus on one back shoulder throw Saturday and at times is simply too good, making a play on the football even when covered up. Now, I am not going to say that Jones is hands down the better prospect over A.J. Green, but he does add more of a physical element compared to Green and depending on what your flavor is, it wouldn’t surprise me at all to hear some teams liking Jones a bit more that Green come draft day.