1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Alabama Pro Day Blurbs

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by realtick, Mar 8, 2012.

1. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Random blurbs (from various websites) from the Alabama Tide's Pro Day...

- Nose guard Josh Chapman continues to recover from mid-January knee surgery, but he decided to participate today in the bench press. Lifting for the first time in more than two months, he lifted the 225 pounds 29 times.

- Cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, linebacker Dont'a Hightower and wide receiver Marquis Maze worked out at the combine but did not run the 40-yard dash today.

- Hightower could have lost money Wednesday if his height was measured accurately. He has been listed at 6-4 throughout his college career. He has been listed as 6-2 by the NFL, but he was measured at 6-0 on Wednesday.

- Dont’a Hightower, LB (6-2 1/8, 265) — Stood on his combine numbers, except he posted a 9-foot-9 broad jump. He also had a 4.68 short shuttle and a 7.55 cone drill.

- A source attending Alabama's pro day described Hightower's workout as solid, but not special.

- Scouts from the Jets, Texans, Patriots, Titans, Jaguars, Chargers, Steelers, Redskins, Panthers, Seahawks, Saints and Bengals on hand.

- A source told Sporting News' Russ Lande that Kirkpatrick didn't jump out as an explosive athlete, and it was clear he's not in the same class as LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne, who is a projected top-10 pick.

- Kirkpatrick is 6-1 1/2, 186 pounds and looked good in cornerback drills, especially for his size. He displayed good body control throughout his workout. For a player whose ball skills were not special on film — he didn't intercept any passes in 2011 — Kirkpatrick showed better hands and ball skills than expected, according to one source.
  2. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    What's the deal with Upshaw? Injured?
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Quite honestly, I'm not sure. Since he isn't on my radar I've sort of glossed over him.

I'm not sure if he's sitting on his numbers at the combine or nursing an injury.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,391 Messages
    1,257 Likes Received
    - Hightower could have lost money Wednesday if his height was measured accurately. He has been listed at 6-4 throughout his college career. He has been listed as 6-2 by the NFL, but he was measured at 6-0 on Wednesday.

4 inches in height disapeared. Limits him too inside LB probably.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Something fishy about that. I don't doubt that his height on his college player page was inflated, that's a common practice.

However, he measured 6'2.2" at the combine.

Even going by just the eyeball test you would say he's easily over 6-foot.
  6. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,807 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    I actually don't like alot of these Alabama players.

The one I do like a bit is Chapman. But the rest just look too stiff to me.
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Same here. Reminds me a bit of the Miami Hurricane defenses of the early 2000s that physically outclassed their opponents so badly that everyone looked phenomenal. It's hard to tell the Sean Taylors and Vince Wilforks from the William Josephs, Phillip Buchanons, Mike Rumphs and Jerome McDougals.
  8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Alabama Pro Day minus Richardson, Barron, Upshaw

Posted on: March 7, 2012 3:26 pm
    Edited on: March 7, 2012 3:29 pm

I am beginning to get some of the early results from the just concluded Alabama Pro Day but perhaps the biggest story of the day was who wasn't available to work out rather than who was.

Three of the four Crimson Tide prospects currently rated as first round caliber prospects by NFLDraftScout.com did not participate in today's workout. It had been known that running back Trent Richardson (knee) and safety Mark Barron (hernia) would not be working out today. Pass rusher Courtney Upshaw also was unable to workout today due to knee tendinitis. Each is expected to participate in Alabama's second Pro Day workout, scheduled for March 29. All 32 NFL teams were represented today. Expect all 32 to be there March 29, as well.

Read more:http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/35130523
  9. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If he's rehabbing a knee injury, why wouldn't he be able to lift weights?? Obviously, he wouldn't be able to do squats or dead lifts or leg presses or such, but I see no reason why he wouldn't be working to maintain or improve his upper body strength...
  10. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What's with these teams having multiple Pro Days?? Schedule a Pro Day, get your prospects lined up, and get it over with... if a prospect can't work out at that Pro Day, let him set up his own, unofficial Pro Day... if you have prospects who are rehabbing injuries, schedule the Pro Day as late in the process as possible, to give them time to get right physically...

But having one Pro Day, then having another a month later, is quite ridiculous... it's also quite expensive on the NFL teams trying to send scouts to these proceedings...
  11. Bull Frog

Bull Frog Active Member

699 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    We already have a secondary loaded with guys with this same skill set.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,391 Messages
    1,257 Likes Received
    :laugh2: At your avitar.