1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Alex Smith and Reggie Bush want out; let's explore this

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by GimmeTheBall!, Jan 28, 2013.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,177 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    Maybe so. I suspect you're being to kind to Smith though. His average passing yards for all of his last full season was less than 200 yards per game. Total bus driver stats...but efficient bus driver
  2. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,094 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    Orton is a loser, too..just like Romo.

This guy did nothing in his other stops around the league.

I'd take Alex as a guy with a top pedigree and something to prove with a chip on his shoulder.

But it won't happen. Romo is Jerrah's lapdog and that's that. Same as Bledsoe was Parcells boy.

Romo is Jerrah's boy and the team will go down in flames until the end with Romo.

Tisk tisk.

:starspin RedBaL ExPReSS :starspin
  3. kelc

kelc Member

122 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I don't think A.Smith is the Cowboys answer.
  4. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,065 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I'm thinking Alex Smith and Philly w/ Kelly's offense would make a good match. Most forget at Utah, he actually ran quite a bit, and was fairly successful at it. (he rushed for over 1000 yards and 10 TD's in the two years he started)

Personally, I hope they try to go with Foles...because I just don't see the fit there.
  5. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,166 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    Reggie is MUCH better than Felix get real fellahs
  6. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,526 Messages
    888 Likes Received
    Alex Smith is going to look terrible under any other system out there. He had the perfect system, head coach to teach him and the players to go with him. And a really solid defense. He was pretty bad even up until last season. Even after they got to a NFC Championship with him, they still desperately wanted someone else.

He won't be an upgrade here at all.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,004 Messages
    5,041 Likes Received
    Thanks for trying to turn this into a bash Jerry and Romo thread. :rolleyes:
  8. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Bush over Felix? You kiddin me, Felix is a beast.
  9. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,875 Messages
    1,464 Likes Received
    Bush>>Jones

Orton > Smith

As others have said, Reggie won't come to Dallas to back up, and we need to spend any FA money on OL and DL primarily
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    showoffs rarely have anything worth reading
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    Top pedigree? What does that even mean? Alex Smith has had a chip on his shoulder for most of his career. The only thing he has proven is that he is replaceable.

Does Reggie Bush want to be a backup? Does he want backup money? I don't think there is a significant difference between Bush and Jones. Felix seems as if he would be more accepting of a backup role.
  12. HomerSimpson31

HomerSimpson31 Member

129 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Bush would not want to come in as a backup. Alex Smith isn't even in the same league as Romo. Would I take Bush if he were to agree to being a backup and ditch Felix,yes,but that isn't going to happen. We do need a running back pretty bad because nor Felix or Murray can stay healthy for long. We need to explore a veteran Olineman,if we don't fix the running game and Line we wont win.
  13. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Nice idea if this team was missing a few pieces as a contender.

Unfortunately, this team needs to get younger and they already have a QB that can win games. I say no unless RB wants to play a supporting role and is willing to play for peanuts.
  14. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,910 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    why smith? he wants to be a starter. if he wanted to be a back up...why not in SF, which is in the superbowl and has brighter future than the cowboys.....

and bush wants to be a starter and wants lots of money. why be a back up to murray?
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,177 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    Lot's of news on Smith today.

It sounds like the odds are very high that he's gone. But any team that may want him has all the leverage right now. SF will owe him 7 million guaranteed if he's not traded or let go. If he's let go, they take a 2 million cap hit, but if he's traded they're mostly off the hook.

In other words--and I'm not at all suggesting this for Dallas--any team that wants him could get him in a trade for next to nothing. Maybe a 4th or 5th rounder.

Mike and Mike threw out the idea of a Jets trade: Smith and a 2nd rounder for Revis. But most say the Jets would never do that. For one thing, they still would maybe not have their QB...or maybe just a slight upgrade. They also ow Sanchez a lot this year already.

Cleveland and Buffalo are other possibilites. Smith is a year younger than Weeden--lol.
    Buffalo has a new Head Coach. That very often can mean a new QB to get a fresh start. They could get Smith for nothing. I'm not sure if he's much of an upgrade at all over Fitzpatrick though.
  16. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,205 Messages
    794 Likes Received
    Yes, I will say it. Smith would be an upgrade.
    Suffice to say that Smith was on fire early this season. I think he was, at one point, 6 and 1.

but it is the offseason, I like to speculate. Give it -- and peace -- a chance.
  17. GimmeTheBall!

13,205 Messages
    794 Likes Received
    A young gun like Smith would push Romo. Maybe push him to be a better all around QB who protects the ball rather than gunsling it or Arena Football the ball.
    Smith is already a backup. He will like the paycheck and the chance to start anew. And he know Romo wont be here forever.
    Bush would be an upgrade to Felix.
  18. GimmeTheBall!

13,205 Messages
    794 Likes Received
    I appreciate your kind words. I like your posts too.
  19. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    The Bills signed Fitzpatrick to a 6 year extension in October 2011. That is bound to have some sort of impact on what direction they go in terms of another QB.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,050 Messages
    1,924 Likes Received
    I probably like Orton more then most do on this board. I think he's a decent QB but with regards to Orton being a better fit in Dallas then Smith, I'm not so sure I would agree with that. Orton is not mobile. He needs good protection to throw the ball. That's not what we have in Dallas and that's not what Romo is used to doing in Dallas. Smith and Romo have very similar skill sets. Both are mobile, both can throw on the run, both have similar arm strength, both have very good feet and they are very similar in size and stature. Smith is a little taller and Tony is a little bigger.

I actually think that Smith would be a better fit in Dallas simply because his skill sets would allow us to run the same type of offense as Tony runs when healthy. With Orton, I think the offense changes and we go to more of a traditional drop back style of passing game.

JMO