1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Alex smith must hate his life right now

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Supercowboy1986, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,034 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    Not only did he get hurt for a few games thinking he would be back in the line up but then the 2nd year guy has not only took his job but is better at it. Now they are going to the SB. Anyone think his confidence just has been killed off completely?
  2. KoRnyBrad

KoRnyBrad I am the Bat!

261 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I think he is still a decent QB. I could see KC going after him to fill their dire need for one.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    They should have gotten to the SB last year with him starting.

Something tells while disappointed he isn't the starter that he's sitting fine with the fat rookie contract under him, his ability to play okay and limit mistakes to a great degree, and free agency to look forward to.

He probably won't get paid handsomely but any team that thinks they can get a similar level of play would be foolish not to inquire. Do you have the right system for him is the only question. He's not going to carry your team every week, you might get a couple weeks a season but he's also shown that he's not going to sink you by turning the ball over left and right.

He's a prototypical bus driver QB. He's only thrown 10 INTs in his last 663 attempts. That's over two seasons so he's not a guy you want to air it out and he needs to be in a system that can avoid putting the pressure squarely on him. Still pretty impressive, IMO. I'd be there aren't too many QBs who throw fewer INTs as a percentage of the attempts. Brady and Rogers are the only one's I can find but only took a quick glance. RG3 is likely there although I'm pretty sure he had less than 400 attempts this year.

He's not a bad QB. He's just not someone who is going to make up for a ton of dead weight on the team. On the right team he could probably be a decent starter. Certainly better than a number of starters out there.

I think Arizona should take a look. They have some talent on offense and a better than advertised defense that will help avoid situations where he has to be expected to carry them back from large deficits.
  4. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,311 Messages
    1,747 Likes Received
    I think he's a good QB and could probably do more with a talented offense than Kaep could do with a talented offense. That being said, I think Harbaugh is a risk taking coach and when it pays off it makes him look like a genius. The Niners had a defensive identity but they lacked an offensive one. They lacked the playmakers on offense and needed to do something big. Their defense has given up a lot of points this post season. I don't think Alex Smith would have got them to the Super Bowl this year. Kaep gives that offense an explosive element that they lacked and he makes up for the lack in talent on offense.
  5. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,034 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    Those are really smart and well put posts guys, thanks. So none of you believe he is hurting from this not in a financial sense but a mental sense? He won't play progressively bad over time like mark Sanchez for example?
  6. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,019 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    Making tons of money, staying injury-free, I could think of worse.
  7. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    He knows he'll get another shot at starting next year somewhere. What's their to be worried about?
  8. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I agree. If David Carr still has a job so will Alex Smith.
  9. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,803 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    This how the niners feel. Theyre paying 24 mil for a backup qb.
  10. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,713 Messages
    1,216 Likes Received
    No because they were doing damn good when he was in there QBing, so the better than him is speculation and opinion, and he had his team more than in position to go last year.

If their stupid punt returner knew how to do his simple job they'd have been in the big game last year with Smith as well.

The 49ers are that good for a lot more reasons then who their QB is.
  11. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,569 Messages
    1,417 Likes Received
    He won't be in KC. I can see him in AZ or NYJ.
  12. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,177 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    he may not hate his life but he has to be sick to death that he's not starting.
  13. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,748 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    risk of the business, hate to see it on an injury, but appears the coach made the right call on the rookie.
  14. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,414 Messages
    370 Likes Received
    Pretty much a rookie, but not a rookie lol.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,230 Messages
    7,022 Likes Received
    I'll be surprised if MIN doesn't push for him the hardest. CLE is an option, too, now that Norv is there, since those two had some success together.
  16. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,719 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    remind me how Turner and Smith have a connection.
  17. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    ^^This.

Right now it sucks that I am not him.
  18. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received

Norv was Smith's OC for one year after his terrible rookie season I think.

What I believe was that Smith's season was soooooo bad, that any OC could get credit for Smith because Smith couldn't duplicate those numbers again.

I could see Smith in AZ or in Minn to compete with Ponder.
  19. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I just can't see it (but i'm not a pro athlete either). He is one snap away from starting, he won't be called the goat in the SB, may very well get a SB ring, and has a very good chance to move on and get a nice pay day somewhere else.

I could live with that kind of life.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,230 Messages
    7,022 Likes Received
    Yeah. Reportedly, Smith was pretty bummed when Turner left, because he felt like they'd made a lot of progress in a short time there. But even a year together where they had some success could mean a lot when you're looking for a chance to start. CLE's got the defense, OL, and the running game, and they've had a year to develop some of the receivers. I think that's a good spot for somebody.

MIN makes obvious sense, too, if they keep Harvin. They've got two TEs and he'd have the dome and an ok defense and, what's his name there to hand the ball off to and only Christian Ponder to beat out. That's a pretty low bar.