1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Alex Tanney Cowboys Future When Romo Retires

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Tom Jones, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,003 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    I don't know, I hope he can, would I bet my house on it? No. I would also add I don't buy a car before I drive it why would I think Tanney is the next starting QB based on training camp? He will get a chance to show what he can do over the next 5 weeks. I hope the best
    Tom Jones likes this.
  2. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,986 Messages
    1,741 Likes Received
    At best, Tanney makes the PS if the Cowboys don't wanna risk losing him to someone else. I think gets released towards the end of camp though.
  3. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Member

79 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I guess I have bet the farm on Tanney, Dooms. But I am a gambler-only gamble on safe bets. To me, Tanney is a very safe bet.

And yes, we haven't seen Tanney in an actual game, again, I stress, and many in the cowboys staff agree, that Tanney defiately has the tools and talent. I just don't know why some, not you, are still dismissing him.
  4. Doomsday101

77,003 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    I'm not dismissing anything but not ready to claim him as the next starting QB of the Cowboys. Hell let him play a couple of games before crowing him the next starting QB. He has had workouts by 3 other teams Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs and yet has not stuck with any of them and now I'm suppose to believe that he will be our next starting QB without even seeing him in action? Come on, be realistic. I like the reviews he is getting and I hope he does come out and show he belongs but having the tools does not mean a player will make it. Most player who get this far have the tools or they would not even get a chance at all.

Again not dismissing anything I hope the best for this young man but excuse me if I would like to see him play first before making wild claims
  5. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,459 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    I dont know if Tanney makes the team, but i know he has a relative that posts on here.
  6. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,892 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    He has a marketable name, Jerry would be happy.
  7. myslamsareolder

myslamsareolder Member

195 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Just a tryout. He was there only for the rookie mini-camp. Never signed and therefore never cut. That's like saying you were fired from every job you interviewed for and subsequently weren't hired.
  8. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Member

79 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I must confess that I am stunned by how poorly Tanney looked in the HOF game and against Oakland. He can do alot better. I do however see him as still too "wide eyed". He needs to settle down.

If you've seen closeups of him in those games, when he's calling out the signals, just watch his eyes-they're huge!

He needs to find a way to get over this. I think by now the staff has seen this and has been diligenlty working on this with him, so we SHOULD see alot better performance against the cards.
  9. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,054 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    If he had "it" he likely would've been signed by Buffalo or kept by Kansas City. If he could develop "it" he likely would've shown more by now.
  10. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Member

79 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I just want the Cowboys to be patient with him, which I think they will. They'll take a good long look at him in this Card's game. I'm sure he'll impress with some ones and twos around him.
  11. mrmojo

mrmojo Well-Known Member

1,122 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    I like the guy who can do the trick shots throwing the football ;-)

Seriously I like Tanney's arm, he just needs to get used to the speed of the game. But I dont think the Cowboys are keeping 3 QBs.
  12. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I hope the Cowboys will be patient with him as well, cause I do think he has the tools worth developing. The thing is, he needs the game to slow down for him in a big way....it's just too fast for him at this point. Now this is true for the majority of QBs coming into the league, but I think Tanney is especially handicapped because he's from a DIII school.
  13. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,764 Messages
    851 Likes Received
    A big part of Romo's game is his mobility/escapability once that starts to go he's going to lose some of his effectiveness. Doubt he's going to be as Houdini like in another 3-4 years. Some of his best plays have come outside the pocket.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,796 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    Two straight UDFA franchise QB's ???

Lightning doesn't strike twice.

But with Tony's success in the big games, I think I'd rather draft a premier QB with a pedigree of winning when it counts.
  15. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,054 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    I think I have a tree in my backyard that grows exactly what you're looking for, let me go check.
  16. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,524 Messages
    1,133 Likes Received
    As much as I like Tanney he isn't going to get reps with the 1's and 2's bud. Tom you gotta settle down a bit here there is an 80% chance he won't even make the team and as it is now he hasn't even given Stephens a run for his money. So I would say pump the brakes a bit you are starting to look foolish and it's not a good look bud. He does have some talent but lets not get carried away. If he over takes Stephens and actually makes the roster then there is some hope.
  17. Doomsday101

77,003 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    If I had to guess Tanny or Stephens will be added to the practice squad at best.
  18. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,819 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    I've been more impressed with Stephens.
  19. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Would like to see him with better players around him, the OL he has to play with is awful.
  20. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,064 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    No..

Tanney is another risk/reward guy and I don't want another project for us.

Romo has been enough. Once we draft or trade for another Troy Aikman..
    ..a top tier QB..this team is never going to progress.

Romo will be here 2 more years at best and then they are going drafting..you watch.

We need a solid, quick-read QB with mobility and can read defenses and make the right decision.

We don't have that. Not even with Romo.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.