1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

All-22 Review Mackenzy Bernadeau (at Center)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Feb 12, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,700 Messages
    5,858 Likes Received
    I reviewed Bernadeau on the All-22 in week 11 when he played OC.

I've been skeptical of post(s) that have seen calling for Bernadeau to be the starting Center next year; however, after reviewing this game I'm a little more optimistic.

Bernadeau was actually quite good in this game. He was getting push in the running game and had minimal issues in pass protection.

There were a couple of plays in pass protection that were questionable, but it appeared that he was expecting more help from the OG.

I think that having the ball in his hand and obviously knowing exactly when the snap was going to occur, was helpful to him. Some of his issues at OG were due to being a tick late off the snap and getting beaten by quickness.

Bernadeau really does have good physical quickness. Being a little slow off the snap at OG was more of a mental issue than physical.

In the run game, Bernadeau was much better than Kyle Cook. As long as he gets into proper position off the snap, he does have some strength and ability to drive defenders off the line. At OG, similar to pass-blocking, he had issues when he didn't get proper position off the snap.

Summary:

I was shocked by how much better he looked at OC compared to OG.

I'm going to be reviewing his 2nd game at OC (week 12) later on. At this point I have reviewed the 1st series in that game and he appeared similar to week 11.

I also reviewed Costa in the 1 game that he played in 2012. He may not be great, but he looks like a Pro Bowl run blocker compared to Kyle Cook.

I would love to have some All-22 footage of Kowalski, but unfortunately he didn't get any snaps in 2012.

I continue to advocate that the Cowboys need to draft a quality Center because they are very difficult or impossible to find in Free Agency; however, I do have some hope that guys on the roster can provide some quality snaps.
  2. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,450 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Good info and good post. Thanks for the effort.
  3. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,392 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    Nothing wrong with depth. We need tackles, guards and centers still, but I like the optimism.
  4. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,113 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I would not draft a center unless we take Barrett Jones in the second or third
  5. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,045 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    Nice info x.
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,641 Messages
    3,163 Likes Received
    Excellent info xwalker... very interesting.
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,532 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Costa was probably an average Center towards the end of 2011 season and looked fairly good in 1.5 games in 2012.

Kowalski looked good when given a chance in 2011. The ankle injury last year was so unfortunate.

Bernardeau actually appears half-decent at Center. He also is one of the strongest players in the league but is somewhat lacking in experience. I expect him to be much better next year with a healthy offseason devoid of two leg surgeries.

We probably have more in the interior than most people realize. What we are missing is a dominant interior player and I would love to get such an OG as a trade back into the late first with an extra second rounder. We should be able to get a very good player there either at OL or DL given the depth of this draft. I still believe we are best off with lighter and quicker OL so we can produce a quality screen game and run stretch plays well.
  8. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    My question would be, would it be easier to draft a dominat G, or C in the draft? I'd say G, and move Bernadeau to C.
  9. xwalker

13,700 Messages
    5,858 Likes Received
    I didn't know about this, but a little searching revealed:

Not too many people outside of our "gym family" know too much about Mack. If you search "Mackenzy Bernadeau" on this website, you can learn more about Mack's incredible road to the NFL. Basically, he wasn't supposed to "make it". He came from a Division II school and he didn't even get a Combine invite because he was undersized, too slow, hurt and "not strong enough" to handle himself against the BIG BOYS in the NFL!

After winning our World's Strongest Athlete Contest for the 2nd year in a row; NFL players throughout the league have now taken note!

http://www.defrancostraining.com/as...ter-the-worlds-strongest-athlete-contest.html

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/26/panthers-lineman-wins-strongman-competition/
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    I still believe that the main reason Mack was signed was so that he could play center or be a backup G. While we still need another guard, and probably a tackle, he could be serviceable at center.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,852 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    There are only 2 guys who can play center in the draft I want- Barrett Jones and Khaled Holmes. If we cannot get either one of them then maybe Bernie is our best bet at center.
  12. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,041 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    defranco also trained miles austin and our former fullback, deon anderson, before the combine. he works with a lot of college and pro football players.
  13. xwalker

13,700 Messages
    5,858 Likes Received
    I'm a fan of Khalad Holmes. If he is available at the Cowboys pick in the 3rd, he would be a great pick at that spot.

I think he has 2nd round type of talent; however, I doubt that the Cowboys would draft him at #47.