1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Allen Benched 700lbs today..according to jerry jones

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Zaxor, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    thanks to theebs for posting this on another board

if anybody on this board can give verification to the validity of this report it would be appreciated
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Allen Benched 700lbs today..according to jerry jones

Well I just watched Jerry Jones on Fox 4 with mike doocy, wfaa 8 with dale hansen and nbc 5 and he said this about larry allen.

"He had the best offseason of his career, he is in the best shape that he has ever been in since becoming a cowboy"

"He benched over 700lbs recently and is the best lineman we have on the roster"

Then said "Larry is not a long distance runner, chuckled then said we are trying to get a look at younger guys and give larry a few days to take it easy, we know everything larry can do and need to find out about some guys behind him"

So case closed on that issue, this is just extra time off for larry, they have him already where they want him, he isnt going anywhere, he isnt hurt, he isnt mad, he isnt being benched and he is getting along good with parcells.

It was good to hear.

Also heard newy and mike doocy say that newman has looked terrific and has a swaggar going early and he looks very hungry now that he is healthy.
  2. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Benched

2,049 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    old news...he's been in a benching contest for years. I've heard of him benching this much before.
  3. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yeah I knew that but it was the rest I was interested in... did you get to see the news report?
  4. ThEpLyMaKeR88

ThEpLyMaKeR88 New Member

161 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    not that big of a surprise once you have seen his arms
  5. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,543 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    If you were thinking about trading Allen at some point, wouldn't you be talking him up? All the while getting your younger players some reps?

Conspiracy theories, what fun! LOL
  6. Dayton Cowboy

Dayton Cowboy Active Member

1,847 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LA has benched 700#s consistantly during his career. Does anybody know what the current world record is for bench?
  7. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Oooooooo

[IMG]
  8. OILERMAN

OILERMAN Member

346 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Someone has done right at 1000lbs recently
  9. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,880 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    And you know, my arms are still aching from that!
  10. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    what you were allowed to use your arms and hands?:eek:
  11. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,227 Messages
    1,470 Likes Received
    Yes it is, and the last time they made a big deal of it, he went through 2 years of injuries. hope this isn't a repeat. Maybe that is why he was out of condition, spending to much time going for the 700 again.
  12. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,283 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Seems like I said this yesterday.....
    Ready to go.
    They need to look at others.....
  13. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I was thinking the same thing about the injuries.
  14. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,236 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    Seems to me if they were really concerned with Allen being an out of shape bum, then we all would have heard about that during the mini-camps. Everyone has been praising Allen this off season. Seems like the best thing for him is to do extra running and conditioning work and limit his contact drills. He needs to have his legs under him especially if he has to move to right tackle. The guy knows how to play his position. He doesn't need the reps. He just needs to be in a little better shape.
  15. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, but I hadn't heard those kinds of numbers since he got hurt... I find it encouraging that he's gotten back that kind of power, though I worry about him hurting himself again if he keeps trying to set the bar higher... maybe it's enough to be able to bench 600 pounds, LOL...

Jerry's point, while obviously made in an attempt at damage control, is valid-- Larry's just not a runner, and he never has been... hasn't kept him from being one of the dominant linemen of his time, perhaps THE dominant lineman of his time... and he is still undoubtedly the one offensive linemen opposing coaches most worry about when playing the Cowboys...
  16. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The thing that amazed me the first time is that he worked his way up to 700lbs. I think I read he started at like 500lb :omg:
  17. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 In Tebow I Trust

14,911 Messages
    22 Likes Received

Jerry Jones said this on Cowboys Daily on comcast Cowboys channel on demand also.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received

Yep, and Tuna was making statements in his press conference in mini-camps that "Larry Allen is running things that he's never run before since I've been here".
  19. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,390 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    700 for a guy of Larry's size, while freakin' impressive, is not THAT impressive. I'm pretty sure Dat benches 500 lbs.
  20. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,619 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    seems to me that the longer the arms - the more impressive the feat is.