1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Alternative rock question

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by jackrussell, Sep 14, 2006.

1. jackrussell

jackrussell Last of the Duke Street Kings

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was asked to play a certain radio station by some high school kids recently. Before I would do so, I told them I wanted to listen to it first.

Privately listening, I was quite taken by a song with the lines, "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier". I found out later it is a song by a band called 'The Killers'.

A worthwhile investment? Anyone? I am an old man that doesn't like to spend $$ on one song.
  2. devman90

devman90 The Master of Disaster

324 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You have to play that song?

It's a good song. "All these things that I've Done" by the killers.
  3. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    While i generally prefer something with a little more attitude, my ex girlfriend introduced me to many of these trendy euro-influenced bands over the last four or five years. "The Killers" are among the most popular of the ones that i grew to enjoy. Here's their website, go check out some tunes for free befoer you decide to buy. cheers.

http://www.thekillersmusic.com/
  4. jackrussell

jackrussell Last of the Duke Street Kings

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks. While I enjoyed the one song to the point of not being able to get it out of my head, I'm not too fond of some of the other selections. But that's just me.

Seems like I hear a little U2 in their stuff.

They have a great website.
  5. GTaylor

GTaylor Gif Dude

1,849 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They also have another radio release "Mr. Brightside"

Video
  6. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    I'm a big fan of the Killers. They have a new single out, and the CD should be coming out soon... called "When You Were Young." Good song.

The first CD has some good songs that always got stuck in my head. Mr Brightside, Jenny Was a Friend of Mine, Somebody Told Me, On Top, etc.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    Just go with the classics.

"I've got soul and I'm super bad" - James Brown. :D
  8. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...try listening to the Trainspotting Soundtrack. It can be a jump point to some other bands of the same genre.

You'll be surprised of hearing the a similar opening to Mr. Brightside written over a dozen years earlier.
  9. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,149 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    I like his voice a lot.