1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

An early 2012 draft analysis...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by silverbear, Sep 21, 2011.

1. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just spent a little time over at NFL Draft Scout, and using their rankings, I'm prepared to offer some options for each pick in the draft... it is awfully early in the process, and the rankings will be quite fluid between now and draft day, so just think of this as a snapshot in time, just a little appetizer to get your taste buds salivating... LOL...

Being the Pollyanna Bear, I am once again assuming that the Boys will draft fairly late in each round... accordingly, I start my analysis with the 20th ranked player on the NFLDS board, and work from there...

FIRST ROUND

The candidates:

Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M... 6-4, 225 lbs., 4.65 second 40... I'm surprised to see a QB this high on the list, but I'm taking SDogo at his word when he says the Boys are looking real closely at this year's QB crop...

Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington... 6-3, 340 lbs., 5.2 second 40... here's your big anchor in the middle of the 3-4...

Andrew Datko, OT, Florida State... 6-6, 325 lbs., 5.2 second 40... I look for the Boys to continue rebuilding their OL, but with Free and Smith already on board, I really don't see them going OT this early... later in the draft, sure, add another tackle, the depth there isn't real good...

Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia... 6-0, 186 lbs., 4.45 sec. 40... a lot of the posters in here think that drafting a CB early is imperative... I think they may be right, and Minnifield would be the best corner likely to still be on the board in the later first round...

Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State... 6-5, 325 lbs., 5.2 second 40... if the Boys do decide to go OT early, I'd take Adcock over Datko...

Billy Winn, DE, Boise State... 6-3, 300 lbs., 4.85 second 40... a candidate for the rotation on the DL...

And Bear's pick is-- Minnifield...

SECOND ROUND

The candidates:

Markelle Martin, FS, Oklahoma State... 6-1, 200 lbs., 4.45 second 40... if the Boys go DB in the first, I really don't see them going DB again this early, but Martin is one of the best safeties available in this class...

Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M... 5-11, 195 lbs., 4.45 second 40... again, only if the Boys do not go DB in the first round...

Ben Jones, C/OG, Georgia... 6-3, 316 lbs., 5.25 sec. 40... the highest rated center in this draft class, I can see the Boys looking for their center of the future...

Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State... 6-6, 325 lbs., 5.25 second 40... the Boys have shown some early interest in him...

Devon Still, DT/DE, Penn State... 6-4, 310 lbs., 5.0 second 40... still looking for quality depth on the DL...

Bear's pick is-- Jones...

ROUND THREE

The candidates:

Kheeston Randall, DT/DE, Texas... 6-5, 310 lbs., 5.0 second 40... my first homer pick, but I think that Randall will thrive in a 3-4 scheme at DE...

Mike Brewster, C/OG, Ohio State... 6-4, 310 lbs, 5.15 second 40... if the Boys can't add Jones early, Brewster will make a perfectly acceptable consolation prize...

Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin... 6-4, 320 lbs., 5.25 second 40... I say we should draft a Wisconsin offensive lineman every year... :D

Keenan Robinson, OLB, Texas... 6-3, 245 lbs., 4.65 sec. 40... my second homer pick...

Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana-Lafayette... 6-6, 240 lbs., 4.6 second 40... this guy sets me in mind of Jay Novacek; same height, same general build, same kind of speed, same kind of productivity at the TE position... this would not be a need pick, but IMO would be a good one... he's not much of a blocker, but neither was Jay...

Ryan Lindley, QB, San Diego State... 6-4, 230 lbs., 4.9 second 40... if the Boys were to target one QB in this draft, this is the one I'd like to see in a Cowboys uniform...

Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas... 6-2, 250 lbs., 4.7 second 40... Sam Acho's brother, but a rather different player... my third homer pick in this round...

Bear's pick-- you could do worse than Lindley in the 3rd round...

FOURTH ROUND

Lots of candidates here, I could justify trading down earlier in the draft to add another pick or two at this point...

Renard Williams, DT, Eastern Washington... 6-1, 306 lbs., 5.0 second 40... has the squat build you look for in a NT, but does he have the strength to hold up at the point of attack??

TY Hilton, WR/KR. Florida International... 5-10, 186 pounds, 4.4 second 40... a dangerous, productive kick returner...

Trumaine Johnson, CB/FS, Montana... 6-2, 206 lbs., 4.5 second 40... one of my pet cats...

Nick Foles, QB, Arizona... 6-5, 240 lbs., 4.95 second 40... a pure pocket passer with little "escapability"...

Tony Bergstrom, OT, Utah... 6-5, 316 lbs., 5.25 second 40... if the Boys want to add to the tackle depth, this might be the time to do it...

George Iloka, S, Boise State... 6-3, 216 lbs., 4.45 second 40... good size-speed ratio, plays for a top program...

Tank Carder, OLB, TCU... 6-2, 240 lbs., 4.65 second 40... if the Horned Frogs have too many more defensive efforts like their season opener, all of their defensive prospects will slide down the board...

Bear's pick is-- go with the DB here, either Johnson or Iloka... I'll go with my pet cat...

FIFTH ROUND...

Again, there's no shortage of mid-round candidates in this range:

Jake Bequette, LB, Arkansas... 6-5, 270 lbs., 4.65 second 40... is playing DE for the Razorbacks, but if he can handle dropping into coverage, well, I like the idea of a 270-275 pound linebacker who can move...

Jaye Howard, DE/DT, Florida... 6-3, 306 lbs., 4.95 second 40... a mid-round prospect to throw into the DL mix...

Tom Compton, OT, South Dakota... 6-6, 316 lbs., 5.1 second 40... and another tackle worth consideration...

Tyler Nielsen, OLB, Iowa... 6-3, 240 lbs., 4.55 second 40... great speed for the position...

Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas... 5-11, 195 lbs., 4.35 second 40... Jerry will be happy, there are a slew of Razorbacks who are draft-eligible this year...

Jeff Demps, RB/KR, Florida... 5-8, 195 lbs., 4.25 second 40... speed kills, and Demps has a lot of it...

Bear's pick is-- a little unorthodox, but I'm going with Demps... if nothing else, he'd help our return game...

SIXTH ROUND

The candidates:

Phillip Blake, C/OG, Baylor... 6-2, 325 lbs., 5.25 second 40... if the Boys didn't snap up Jones or Brewster earlier, they should jump all over Blake... but if they did go with a center early, Blake would be a little redundant...

Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly... 5-10, 186 lbs., 4.35 second 40... another of my pet cats (my pet cats tend to be players from smaller schools that I think have what it takes to make it in the NFL)...

BJ Coleman, QB, Tennessee-Chattanooga... 6-3, 225 lbs., 4.9 second 40... another QB the Boys are reportedly scouting this season...

Marcel Jones, OT, Nebraska... 6-6, 325 lbs., 5.25 second 40... I like his size, and he's played against top competition in college...

Davin Meggett, RB, Maryland... 5-8, 215 lbs., 4.5 second 40... the son of Dave Meggett, Davin has a squat, powerful build... he gets mention here simply because of genetics...

Chandler Harnish, QB, Nothern Illinois... 6-2, 220 lbs., 4.75 second 40... a late round QB prospect, Harnish has some mobility in the pocket...

Rishaw Johnson, OG, California (Pa.)... 6-4, 310 lbs., 5.15 second 40... another small school pet cat, he could add some quality depth to the interior of the OL...

Jerry Franklin, ILB, Arkansas... 6-1, 250 lbs., 4.6 second 40... you have to know that Jerry would just love to draft some Razorbacks if he has the chance...

Bear's pick is-- I'm sorely tempted to go with Asa Jackson, but I've already drafted 2 DBs, and since I've already drafted a center, Blake doesn't make a lot of sense... so I go with the ILB, Franklin; the Boys could use a little more young depth at ILB...

SEVENTH ROUND

The candidates:

Robert Golden, CB, Arizona... 5-11, 200 lbs., 4.5 second 40...

Cody Johnson, FB, Texas... 5-11, 260 lbs., 4.7 second 40... one final homer pick, but this is the one I REALLY want... Johnson seems downright Moose-esque to me (except we don't know how he'd be as a receiver)...

Kelcie McCray, S, Arkansas State... 6-2, 200 lbs., 4.45 second 40...

Jeff Adams, OT, Columbia... 6-6, 310 lbs., 5.0 second 40... he moves pretty well for a big guy...

Christian Thompson, S, South Carolina State... 6-1, 216 lbs., 4.45 second 40...

DeMario Davis, OLB, Arkansas State... 6-2, 235 lbs., 4.55 second 40... I'm always on the lookout for speed on defense...

JR Sweezy, DE, North Carolina State... 6-5, 295 lbs., 4.95 second 40...

Matt Conrath, DE, Virginia... 6-7, 290 lbs., 4.8 second 40...

Scott Wedige, C/OG, Michigan... 6-4, 315 lbs., 5.25 second 40...

Ryan Van Bergen, DE, Michigan... 6-6, 290 lbs., 4.8 second 40...

Joe Looney, OG, Wake Forest... 6-3, 325 lbs., 5.0 second 40...

Damaris Johnson, WR/KR, Tulsa... 5-7, 175 lbs., 4.4 second 40...

Bear's pick is-- gimme Johnson, please...

So, here's Bear's first, ridiculously early mock draft:

1) Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia... 6-0, 186 lbs., 4.45 second 40

2) Ben Jones, C/OG, Georgia... 6-3, 316 lbs., 5.25 second 40...

3) Ryan Lindley, QB, San Diego State... 6-4, 230 lbs., 4.9 second 40...

4) Trumaine Johnson, CB/FS, Montana... 6-2, 206 lbs., 4.5 second 40...

5) Jeff Demps, RB/KR, Florida... 5-8, 195 lbs., 4.25 second 40...

6) Jerry Franklin, ILB, Arkansas... 6-1, 250 lbs., 4.6 second 40...

7) Cody Johnson, FB, Texas... 5-11, 260 lbs., 4.7 second 40...

I know, I know, this draft is heavy on offense again... what can I say, other than Jason Garrett is an offensive guru...
  2. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I have looked at this now 3 different times and I just can't make myself like it...Oh its not bad... its just sorta leaves me wanting something more...sorta a kissing your sister type draft.:eek:
  3. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Grrrrrrrr...

It's a good thing you and me are tight, Zax-man...

:D
  4. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    lol:laugh2: sorry about that friend Bear but anything other than my honest opinion would not have been fair to you.
  5. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,201 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    I would like to address the Dline at some point if we can, but I'm intrigued by this draft.
  6. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,186 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    We may not address it. Jason Hatcher has played very well so far and looks like he will be a long term starter at DE. Ratliff looks like he's returning to form as well. Kenyon Coleman and Marcus Spears are solid 3rd and 4th options on a 3 man line.

The key is Josh Brent. If he becomes a solid NT, then we may not address D-Line in the draft because I do think Lissimore and Geathers are solid depth guys.
  7. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    FIRST ROUND

Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

maybe third round hes not that good

ROUND THREE

Mike Brewster, C/OG, Ohio State

he will be gone before pick 25 much better than Jones

FOURTH ROUND

Tank Carder, OLB, TCU may slide but not to the 4th

FIFTH ROUND...

Jake Bequette, LB, Arkansas... 2 rd

SIXTH ROUND

Jerry Franklin, ILB, Arkansas 2 rd

but to each his own bear
  8. rockj7

rockj7 Active Member

862 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    Bear me being a young pup here at the zone would never speak out of turn but if I may I think we go D early and often with exception of somehow getting the center from Wisc.
  9. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,597 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I have always respected your draft but I have to say I am not high on this one. Brewster and Blake will not last to their respective rds that you have them projected in. I applaud the effort thoug.
  10. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Uno, I said it at the start, and I'll say it again for you-- my ratings are based on NFL Draft Scout's... I have to use some standard, and over the last few years I believe they do as good a job as anyone...

And I'm sorry, ol' buddy, but it's WAAAAAAY to early to definitively state where any prospect (whose name isn't Andrew Luck, LOL) will go in the draft... basically, the only real value in this thread is to give folks a heads up as to about 50 plus college prospects who have caught my eye...

Just out of curiosity, what sources are you using for those ratings you shared with us??
  11. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Speak up any time you like, rock... I too would have thought that the Boys would go heavily defensive in this upcoming draft, but SDogo's thread suggested that they're looking closely at quarterbacks-- and not just late rounders-- and offensive linemen...

Which makes some sense, when you remember Jason Garrett's background...

But hey, I do believe there are defensive options listed for every round, so if you MUST go D, there are choices for you... :D
  12. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    According to NFLDS, they will... but again, it's real early in the process...

I will say that from what I've read, most draft gurus are not as high on Brewster as a lot of folks in here are...
  13. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    so you're saying it's not bad to kiss your sister.....
  14. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wayyyy to early your are correct

I use Walters an Draft Tech then spinkle in a little bit of CBS draft

and then the most important part is my own two eyes

love your appoarch tho

I have not seen much college ball this year yet
  15. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    After the first round there is still way to much movement in draft spots.. It usually stabilizes around december. Like Mike Brewster I believe may sneak into the late first (james carpenter). Nick Foles I believe will have a Colin Kaepernick rise, not out of the question of getting up into the early 2nd.
  16. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've gotta be honest with you, pal, I don't go to Walter's site any more... he does not impress me, at all...

But the CBS draft website is run by the folks at NFL Draft Scout that I like so much... put more stock in them than in Walter... the thing I like best about NFLDS is they revise their rankings every week or so (or so it seems) right up through draft day...

Gonna have to look a little more closely at Draft Tek (I think that's how they spell it, isn't it??)... I'm always on the lookout for more good draft websites...
  17. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    no of course it isn't I haven't seen my sisters in 30+ years so when I see them I will give them a huge hug and kiss...

why would you think it is bad :confused:

:)
  18. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    yeah me too :beer1:
  19. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    but you also say it leaves you wanting more........lol:D
  20. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,820 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    The homer in me wants Rhandall, Robinson, Acho, and Johnson....oh and if Gideon and Vaccaro come out, I want them too.

But in all honesty, if I could only have 1, it would be Rhandall. Then, I would take Acho. Johnson would be 3rd, only because he still runs soft at times. For someone his size, I expect a bulldozer on every single effort. Still, Johnson would definitely give us some meat and potatoes on goal line offensive plays.

Rhandall would be great for our DL rotation
    Robinson would be great for our OLB depth
    Acho would be a great replacement for Brooking at ILB and give us 3 young ILBs in Lee, Carter, and Acho.
    Gideon and Vaccaro would give much needed S depth.
    Johnson would replace Choice, who I don't see being on the team after this season.

But we can forget every single one of these players. Jones has only drafted one Longhorn in his entire tenure as Owner/GM....WR Wane McGarity. I liked Wane, but I would have rather had several others that he passed on.....Tony Brackens, Blake Brockermeier, Dan Neil, Nathan Vasher, Jamaal Charles....I mean he was only going to draft 1, why not one of those....especially Brackens, cause then we wouldn't have needed Ellis and we could have drafted Moss. But no sense is living in hindsightland.....

I am a Longhorns homer....and as long as they dont end up on the Giants, Eagles, and Skins like poor Ross and Orakpo did, I am happy.

One more thing.....Bear, I would not be opposed to taking Minnifield and Judie in the first two rounds. Newman is most likely gone after this season. That leaves us 3 CBs in Jenkins, Scandrick, and Ball. Give me Minnifield and Judie and we have a very young and athletic group of CBs for years to come.