1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Analyzing Linebackers for Cowboys needs

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CowboyHawg2012, Feb 13, 2012.

1. CowboyHawg2012

CowboyHawg2012 New Member

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If things work out so that at 14, we are looking at linebackers and plan on selecting one, who do think is the best fit?

My thoughts:
    -I do not want Ingram, granted, i think he can be a stud and reminds me of dwight freeney(the spin moves he used in senior bowl practices should be illegal) I dont think he is a good fit for 3-4. I dont see him being able to drop into coverage AT ALL, he's got short arms which I think will lead him to struggle against point of attack. like him for 4-3, but not for us
    -Honestly Id rather have Dont'a Hightower than upshaw. I think Hightower can be way way more versatile for us, and you know Rob loves to move guys around. Hightower can drop into coverage, play in the middle, bump outside to blitz, or be great in stunts. His versatility is outstanding. another Rolando McClain....upshaw is a stud, but limited to rushing the pasher on the outside, plus we could trade down and get Hightower
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Hightower. This combine is going to be really important for him. There are questions about his overall athletic ability and movement skills.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I agree, hightower to me is the best all around 3-4 solb in the draft. If all the bluechips are gone by 14 or we just get a great offer to trade back i'm all for taking him.
  4. Balotelli

Balotelli Benched

25 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If he runs a 4.6 and does good in the positional drills, I'd select him at 14. He's the perfect "thumper" type ILB Jerry was referring to and the perfect compliment to Lee.
  5. supercowboy8

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    If they draft hightower it will be for OLB
  6. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,012 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    For me, I see just the opposite in Ingram. I feel like he fits a 3-4 because he can do multiple things so well. He can rush as a 'backer on one play and on the next play the 5 Tech. I think a defense that really disguises things well like Pittsburgh or Balt would fall in love with him.
  7. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    ..or ILB, since neither of us is on staff with the 'Boys.
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Loooooool, seriously. I love it when fans speak so stridently like "the Cowboys will do....."
  9. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,011 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    And we're going to use our 2nd round pick last year for quality depth? What.
  10. supercowboy8

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    The Cowboys are very high on our last years 2nd round draft pick Carter. Give him a full offseason to get stronger and under Ryan to learn the system they think he can do the same thing Lee did.

Jerry isn't going to draft another ILB just to let our 2nd round pick from last year sit on the bench. Carter is not a 3-4 SOLB but Hightower has all the ability to play SOLB in a 3-4.
  11. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He does have a spin move like Freeney, but Ingram is nothing like Freeney. What makes Freeney great is a beyond-elite burst off the ball. It is amazingly fast. Ingram has a bit of a reptuation as the opposite:"Explosion: Very inconsistent coming off the snap as a pass rusher, sometimes pressing his man up the field but often being among the last to move."
  12. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received

That's weird? I told supercowboy8 the very same thing months ago (during the college season) and he responded by showing me a video Ingram running a fake punt back for a TD.
  13. supercowboy8

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I think that video showed much more than just him dropping back in coverage and making a INT during a fake punt.

Ingram doesn't have Freeney explosin but he does many different jobs than just pass the rusher which is all Freeney does. Ingram lined up at DE, DT, and OLB and was asked to play the ball first then go after the QB, which is reasons why he didn't show much burst in some films yuou may have seen.

But if you have seen him play you will see when it is a obvious passing down Ingram lines up at DT and gets great explosin then uses his great spin move and gets to the QB.

What does a SOLB do, he has to read the play and hold his ground incase it's a run, if it's a pass depending on the formation and play call your coach called in you may have to cover the TE or RB. IF the coach says go get the QB Ingram has great explosion.

Ingram would be a good 3-4 SOLB because he can drop back into coverage, something he has done at SC playing SOLB. Ingram can hold his ground and make the tackle on the RB which he has done as SC when playing DT. Ingram can get to the QB and cause pressure and get sacks which he has done at SC playing DE and DT.

Ingram will be a top 12 pick because of his great versitlity, power, and speed. Teams love to have a lpayer that can do so many different things so well. But I guess I don't know anything since I like a player that will go top 12. But I do agree Ingram is nothing like Freeney. Freeney is to small to play DT and stop the run. The colts have been one of the worse run stopping defense in the NFL for years. Also Freeney can't play 3-4 OLB and drop into coverage, which he never does.Freeney is a one trick pony who does that one trick very well. He can rush the QB and get to the QB. Ingram can do alot of things very well.
  14. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hmmmm, so was Ingram the Gamecock on the DL that was asked to play "the ball?"

Lol, not likely. The criticism that was given in that link is the same as mine is and was months ago; Ingram is very inconsistent getting off the LOS. I gave you a clip back then that included time stamps of all the times Ingram was literally the last one off the line at the snap. He wasn't popping his head up trying to locate the ball, he was simply slow off the snap.

Beyond that, I don't know how much of a issue it will be in the pros anyways because I highly doubt he'll be playing on the line as much as he was in college. Is he slow off the snap while standing up as a 34 OLB is a valid question though. IMO, I think he should drop 10-12 lbs, which will help with his quickness and explosiveness.

All this talk about his versatility is really a moot point IMO because he's likely going to play one position in the pros (34 OLB). Some teams may occasionally put his hand down on the line in a nickel or dime package, but if he's going to be an everydown player, he's likely going to have to play standing up on the outside.

I happen to like Ingram but I'm not in love with him as a prospect. I don't think he's an overly physical player at the point of contact the way a guy like Courtney Upshaw is. In fact, from what I've seen of Ingram (playing primarily on the line) he's more of a pursuit player or one that waits to cleanup after others' pressure. He's not this brute force imposing his will on o-linemen.

Naming things he accomplished in college at entirely different positions and roles doesn't necessarily mean it will happen for him as a pro playing as an OLB.

BTW, the word is "explosion" or "explosive."

I love this form of arguing. So you make an unsubstantiated truth claim (as you love to do) "Ingram will be a Top 12 pick."

Then you follow it up with a rhetorical quip based off of your assertion and act like it's a fact, "But I guess I don't know anything since I like a player that will go Top 12."

BTW, do you really believe Ingram will be playing some DT in the NFL at 6'1" 270ish?
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,285 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    Hightower has never been a pass rusher.
    That's a fairly big leap to make from ILB in college to OLB in a 3-4 in the pros.
    Also may be a tad slow and stiff for an OLB.

Looks to be the top ILB available though.

A much better fit next to Lee than Carter who seems a coverage oriented guy.

Upshaw, Ingram, Curry, Perry. To me those are guys we check out.
  16. supercowboy8

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    He was lined up as a DE on the strong side when they went to 4 down lineman on passing downs.
  17. supercowboy8

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received

Look man, I'm done with you, you add nothing. You brought my name into this for no reason. I like INgram you don't enough said.

Lets just end it here. You don't read anything I post or comment on and I will do the same.

And yes on some plays a tem will move Ingram to DT to be a pass rusher. like the Giants did on occasion with Justin Tuck and Seattle did with Chris Clemons.

But I'm done with you for here on out.
  18. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received

So what you're really saying is "let me make my claims...don't question me!"
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    He also has exceptional body lean coming off the corner. Might be the best in the league in that area. Man, to be able to go back to 2002 and do it all over again right?
  20. CowboyHawg2012

CowboyHawg2012 New Member

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jump off the ball, IMO, can be fixed. I understand that many of you will question that but i think it can. if he puts his hand in the ground consistently(instead of moving all over the place like at USCe) i think some coach will be able to correct that hesitation.
    -regarding Hightower, i think yall need to think in different terms other than just "3-4 base" defense, no team thinks that way, its about packages and individual matchups. thats what i love love love about hightower. Matchups well againt TE, RB, and I would put him on WR3 in press zone schemes. Ingram....never do that with him. Plus Hightower already has extensive exp. in NFL style 3-4, and you can run stunts with both OLB's and both ILB's positions.
    -that being said, id still rather have DeCastro cause i believe a good team starts in the trenches, but option #2 to me has become Hightower as he's logically the next player that can improve the team in what we do play calling wise as well as physically