1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

And now, for a post-1st round Cowboys mock...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by silverbear, Apr 27, 2012.

1. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You knew somebody had to do it... LOL...

With Claiborne on board, and no 2nd round pick, I'm not projecting them to make some move that gets them back into the 2nd round... I'd love to be wrong, though... so we start with the third round:

3) Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma... 5-10, 195 pounds, 4.45 second 40... the NCAA's all-time receptions leader (349 catches) is the slot receiver of Jason Garrett's dreams...

4a) Philip Blake, C, Baylor... 6-2, 316 pounds, 5.2 second 40... it looks like Blake is the Cowboys' second choice at center, behind Peter Konz (who will be gone before they pick in the 3rd round)...

4b) Hebron Fangupo, NT, BYU... 6-1, 325 pounds, 5.15 second 40... this stumpy widebody is climbing the draft charts recently... after two picks for the offense, it's time to get back to improving the defense, which has more problems...

5) Taylor Thompson, TE, SMU... 6-6, 260 pounds, 4.55 second 40... Thompson is one of the more fascinating prospects in this draft to me, he played TE in high school, but was converted to DE in college... then while getting ready for the offseason workouts, he threw scouts and observers for a loop by dropping 15-20 pounds and trying to make the move back to TE... as a converted DE, he has the physicality (and the size) to make a nice blocking TE, and he apparently caught the ball really well in offseason workouts... he has the straight line speed to stretch a defense... I like Rhett Ellison and James Hanna as late round TEs too, but Thompson intrigues me... the Boys have a need for help at TE since Martellus Bennett went to New York, I'd certainly advocate grabbing either Thompson, Ellison or Hanna late...

6) Brandon Hardin, S/CB, Oregon State... 6-3, 216 pounds, 4.45 second 40... a big corner in college who projects to safety in the NFL... even after drafting Claiborne, the Boys are not quite set at DB, they could still use some help at safety... alternatively, the Boys might want to draft a linebacker here, perhaps Miles Burris, Emmanuel Acho or Jerry Franklin; they really haven't addressed linebacker at all in this draft... back to Hardin, he was a special teams stud at Oregon State and could help the team there while trying to earn playing time on defense...

7) Donald Stephenson, OT/OG/C, Oklahoma... 6-6, 316 pounds, 4.95 second 40... a bit of a surprise pick here, the Cowboys at this point have Doug Free, Tyron Smith and Jermey Parnell (resigned for 3 years today) at tackle, and nothing else... it seems to me that some quality depth is badly needed at tackle... FWIW, I like Jeff Adams from Columbia a lot as a tackle in the late rounds too, but Stephenson gets the nod because of his ability to fill in at literally any position on the offensive line...

Works for me...
  2. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,162 Messages
    1,676 Likes Received
    I like it. Get playmakers. Everyone talking about the trenches and this and that. What wins games and championships is playmakers.
  3. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I need for those first two picks to happen, I would be very happy. We need a Center and I love Broyles just like everyone else does.
  4. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I usually don't go in the tank for any player as much as I am for Broyles... but to me, he makes perfect sense...

The Boys have plenty of big wideouts, they need some of the smaller receivers who seem to prosper in the slot... to me, that's Broyles...

There has simply never been a more productive receiver come out of college, which suggests he could contribute as a 3rd receiver in his first season... I mean, almost 350 catches for the Sooners??

Fahgeddabouddit...
  5. Edge

Edge New Member

13 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pretty high on Hebron Fangupo also. Thoughts on Ty Hilton?
  6. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    After Broyles, Hilton is my favorite slot receiver prospect... he has terrific speed...
  7. Edge

Edge New Member

13 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looks even faster on film than his 4.48 40
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    With us now not having a 2nd rounder, I don't see how we can pick both a 3rd WR and a 2nd TE that early, just too much offense and we still need help on D.

4 offensive players in that mock, I would rather see 2.
  9. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It was reported that he clocked a 4.35 on some scouts' watches at his Pro Day...
  10. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    First, I think it's absolutely critical that the Boys draft a TE... I mean, at this point they have exactly two TEs on the roster (Witten and Phillips)... and I am advocating that the Boys use a late round pick on a TE, not a 3rd rounder the way some are...

I also think that finding a productive 3rd WR is rather important... I have addressed the D in this draft with a NT, a CB and a S... the only thing neglected is linebacker, and that's just because we traded away our 2nd round pick...
  11. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Well I guess where I would disagree is 3 of our next 4 picks being offense. We will have to make a decision on either a TE or a WR along with getting an interior OL of course, cause we need to still look at DE, OLB, ILB, CB, and safety.

We will have to sacrifice something of course, but I just don't think the offense needs 3 of our next 4 picks to be successful and those resources could be much better used to help this D.
  12. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As you hinted, you're not gonna fill all the holes in one offseason... and I reject the suggestion that you should go all defense, or even mostly defense, just because of the stats last year... we have attacked the defensive issues quite aggressively already, with Connor, Carr, Pool and now Claiborne... you need to allot some of your draft picks to address the assorted offensive issues... in fact, I think it's critically important that you do so...

To tell you the truth, IMO the top priority this offseason shouldn't have been the defense anyway, it should have been the offensive line... build a dominating offensive line, and your defense improves too (because it's tough for your opponents to score if you're controlling the ball most of the game)...

I would have liked to find a linebacker at some point in that draft, and I looked for one late that I could get worked up about, but it didn't work out that way...

So yeah, I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one... that's OK...
  13. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Rhett Ellison in the late 4th/early 5th is a serious target from what I've heard.
  14. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    An intriguing player, I like what I've read about him... he seems to have been one of USC's team leaders, to the extent that they named some type of team award after him...

Might I inquire as to where you heard that??
  15. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Yeah, well I'm more in the middle on this one. We did make some upgrades on the oline also, even though most don't respect them, they might fit better with what Bill wants to do.

You did pick a NT, which is nice although I still don't think TRat should really play DE cause he doesn't match up as well against tackles as he does in the middle.

There are 2 starters that we still need to make an effort to get, a center and a DE. Both are still possible for us to get in this draft and if we need to move up to get one or both, I'm in total favor of it.

I just don't know if we should let needs at basically backup WR and TE get in the way of 2 guys that could actually start for this team at DE and C.......even if it costs a chance at Broyles. Giving up our 2nd pick lost us that luxury of both a TE and WR that early.
  16. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I would love this. Just hope these guys last that long...
  17. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,889 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    3rd WR isn't a back up in todays NFL and we have no one for that role now it's probably one of our biggest needs
  18. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    No he's not really a backup per say, depending on the team and when they want to run a set with an extra TE, a FB, or that extra WR out there.

Either way, they still won't get as many snaps as a starting center or DE.
  19. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,924 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    There are usually third to fourth round projections at defensive end/tackle, that come forward. A nose tackle improves that general upgrade element as well. That means that Jay Ratliff can also rotate and play a tackle/defensive end position as part of packages also.

The current Dallas defensive line, is a mature unit as well. It is functional at least. I would say that Hatcher, Spears, Lissimore, Ratliff, and Brent provide even yet, an improving window. Then there is the recent signing of Clifton Geather that has an upside as well. His 6'7" and 320 still gets this fan's attention. And the team appears to be as high on him, as they are for Jermey Parnell.
  20. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is a good discussion...

I'd use Fangupo to spell Ratliff, mostly on goal line and short yardage sets, and sometimes in obvious passing downs, when the Rat could swing out to DE...

I agree about the C, but I could be content with going to war with Spears, Hatcher, Lissemore et al at DE...

I understand what you're saying, and I understand the thinking behind it... but I think the offense badly needs that WR and TE... you can probably get the TE late, but if you want a slot receiver who might be able to contribute this year, you're going to have to use a 3rd or 4th rounder to claim one...