1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Another Early Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RamziD, Nov 20, 2012.

1. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,891 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Like others, the expectation is that we are picking somewhere between #15-20 each round.

Free Agency:
    Lose - Anthony Spencer, Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins

Sign - Cliff Avril, DE. The hope here is that Avril can make the transition to 3-4 OLB, which I think he can. He has 30 sacks and 14 FFs in the last 4 full seasons compared to Spencer's 18 sacks and 8 FFs.

1. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri - he is a big guy who can collapse the pocket and plays the run well. I've read that he has a high motor, too. A DL rotation of Hatcher, Ratliff, Lissemore, Richardson, and Crawford has the potential to be very good.

2. Dallas Thomas, OT/G, Tennessee - he has experience at both OT and OG. We need that versatility. Plus he's named Dallas.

3. Khaled Holmes, OC, Southern California - this year's #1 rated OC. He's also played OG. More versatility.

4. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michingan State - we need another RB who can split carries with Murray and take some of the load off of him. Bell is a big workhorse (6'2", 244lbs). In 11 games this season, Bell has rushed 315 times for 1382 yards (4.4 ypc) and has 29 receptions for 145 yards.
  2. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

959 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    I think Richardson was suspended for academic reasons the last game. He is also well under 300lbs and for a DT that is important. Like the high motor talent.

Khaled Holmes is reasonable but cannot see him lasting to the third if we are picking that late IMO.

I watched a Mich State game and remember he had some wiggle to his game besides being a big back, I would bet he goes earlier.

I think you are correct we are going to be picking in that 15-20 range where we have to hope we can coach up somebody and hope they can contribute their rookie season especially on the OLine. Better start scouting Safety as I have a feeling Matt Johnson's boat has left the dock.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,648 Messages
    4,202 Likes Received
    Good draft if the players are available in those spots.

I don't understand replacing Spencer with Avril. The cost will be the same and Spencer already knows the system.

Richardson is 6-3, 295 and is very disruptive. He would be a 3-4 DE here.
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Not sure about the whole Clint Avril thing but I like the rest of the draft
  5. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,891 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    I'm not a Spencer hater by any means. But Avril, in the same 4 year stretch, has better stats rushing the passer than Spencer. If you put a big 3-4 DE in front of him who can defend the run as well (i.e. Richardson), then you can compensate for some of the run defense you give up with Spencer. It all depends on what each player demands monetarily in FA and how hard their current teams will try to re-sign them.

Now, I know the rest of those guys (2-4) could easily go 10-15 picks ahead of where I put them, but it's still early and draft rankings are nebulous. I think this will be a pretty deep draft for OL and DL, so we should be able to get good players in the first 2 rounds. I really want another big back to split carries with Murray, too.
  6. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Can Avril consistently set the edge and play the run? What happens when we ask him to cover? Sacks aren't everything. If Avril was going to be a cheap situational pass rusher I'd be all for it, but as it stands we'd be paying a pretty penny for a guy who only does 1 thing well playing a position that requires more than that. I think we can draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd that will provide the same pass rush you're looking for.
  7. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,952 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of deal do you think it would take to pry him away from Detroit? Then are you willing to pay that amount for a guy playing an entirely new position? And then finally, given that he's taking over Spencer's role, do you think the difference in money will be worth it?
  8. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Is there not a promising young OLB on the roster that could be relied on to improve the pass rush and fill the void left by Spencer potentially leaving for a big pay check? Promote from within, I mean? Avril is going to be pretty popular this next off-season. Which means, he will have leverage to get what he wants. We aren't going to get him on the cheap. Especially not if we also plan on making learn a new position that, on average, doesn't make as much money as the one he currently plays. Right?
  9. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,891 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Not sure exactly what kind of deal he will demand, nor do I know how much Spencer will demand, but I would imagine around $8-9 million per. If we think Avril can play the 3-4 OLB and provide better pass rush, then why not? I'm not paid to make the decision, I just want a better pass rush any which way we can. We're not exactly using Wilber like we think he can take over next year.
  10. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,952 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    I don't think it's a bad idea, but I think for Cliff to leave to Detroit and be willing to learn a new position, it will take a massive deal. Keep in mind, NFL contracts aren't garunteed. Avrill knows he will likely sign he most lucrative deal now and if he doesn't pick up the 3-4 right away and Dallas cuts him, he may never be worth as much.

So to sign him away, it will take a lot. I'm not opposed to spending, but I question just how much better, if at all, Avrill will be in Spencer's role. People give Spencer a hard time for playing opposite of Ware, Avril has a much bigger advantage playing next to Suh in a 4-3.

Playing opposite of Ware means less opportunties to rush, and under Wade Phillips it meant ALWAYS being lined up on the TE side. However in a 4-3, Avrill playing with Suh is like a hitter in baseball always coming up with the bases loaded. His ability to collapse a pocket is so good that QBs have no where to go when he comes around the corner.