1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anthony Barr would play RDE in Dallas

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 15, 2014.

1. manster4ever

manster4ever Active Member

525 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    Meh, Giants will probably snatch him up. Don't think he'll be there at 16. Like to be wrong though.
  2. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,979 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    Hopefully, Ware's replacement has a better repertoire of pass rush moves. Without pressure (collapsing the pocket) from the inside, getting to the QB will be a challenge for anyone with speed off the edge.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    If you look at all the possible players that could go before us--and it it's not all a stretch to pick any of 20-30 players that have been projected to go in the top 15--it's not at all far-fetched to think Barr could be in play at 16.

Here are some that have been projected to go in the top 15..though some more often than others:

3-4 QB: Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr
    3-4 OT: Robinson, Matthews, Lewan, Martin
    3-4 DE/OLB: Clowney, Mack, Barr
    2 WR: Watkins, Evans
    1 TE: Ebron
    0-1 ILB: Mosley
    1-3 DT: Donald, Nix, Jernigan
    2 S: Clinton-Dix, Pryor
    2 CB: Gilbert, Dennard

That's up to 23 players and does not even include wildcards like Kouandjio, Ealy, Hageman, Cooks, Shazier, etc...players that some think could have at least one team enamored enough to take them earlier than some expect.
    waving monkey and BigStar like this.
  4. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,740 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    Anthony Barr has never played in a 4-3 defensive scheme. Heck, he just started playing defense in 2012.
    But if the former blue chip running back is drafted by the Dallas Cowboys next month, he’ll be making more than a scheme change.

The 6-5, 255-pound outside linebacker would likely move to defensive end, something he talked about with Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli during a Tuesday pre-draft visit to Valley Ranch.

“I spoke with him at length today,” [SIZE=+0]Barr told DallasCowboys.com staff writer Rowan Kavner[/SIZE]. “He showed me a lot of tape of (Julius) Peppers and Simeon Rice and (Warren) Sapp, so I think he wants me playing that defensive right end position to go after the quarterback, and that’s something I’m all for.”

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...sive-end-and-thats-something-im-all-for.html/
  5. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,011 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    I don't think the board was totally in love with any of those players, it was at best 60-40 on Smith and Dez. Remember Dez had alot of baggage and many people wanted JJ Watt vs Smith, but Patrick Peterson was the apple of everyone's eye
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,671 Messages
    9,900 Likes Received
    Yeah hopefully the guy is better than Ware. The 2nd most prolific pass rusher in the history of the league on a per game basis.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Do Bears........ well....... you get the picture.
  8. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,115 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Love your analysis btw, do you see a legitimate way that Lewan drops to us? Barr is the pick for revamping this DL, but Lewan (even with his weirdness) would take precedent @ T. Maybe not compared to Barr (hard choice), just thinking of options, etc. I know we have no speed rushers, but believe you can coach players into that (some talent is needed admittedly)
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    The Giants need offensive line help in the worst way. I think they're probably eying the top OTs. They also need a DT more than a DE -- Aaron Donald is likely on their radar.
    waving monkey likes this.
  10. Szczepanik

Szczepanik Well-Known Member

1,067 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    You called out the trade up to 6 for Mo? Tyron is the only one that I called.
  11. DFWJC

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    I'd love to get either one of those guys. I really think there's chance that one or the other is there. Maybe < 50%, but not at all out of the question. There are just too many good players to rule them out (maybe one of them anyway) from being there. Lewan seems like more the long shot to me though.
    BigStar likes this.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    I was never in love with Claiborne or Dez. I didn't necessarily have a huge problem with Dez but I was not in love with him either. Claiborne, I never wanted. I hatted the idea of trading so far up for Claiborne. I wanted Coples, Cox, Poe, Brockers, Barron, Kuechly or Gilmore at 14. I wanted Derek Wolfe, Alshon Jeffrey, Bobby Wagner or Zack Brown with the 2nd we traded away to move up.
    Gaede and DFWJC like this.
  13. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,357 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received
    Positive article on Barr but this little nugget stands out as a red flag to me:

"For a 3-4 team, he's definitely an outside linebacker," Mora said. "I do think he could weigh 260 pounds and maintain his speed and quickness, to play defensive end for a 4-3 team. He was our right end in nickel. He didn't feel comfortable going down (with a hand in the ground) and just rushed from a two-point (stance). He'll get better at that." ~ Jim Mora, UCLA Head Coach

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-barr-to-john-abraham?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb
  14. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

952 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    We have absolutely zero pass rush on the team right now.

z e r o

The best pass rusher we have is a newly acquired DT coming off ACL surgery. Barr dropping to us would be one of the best scenarios.
    Gaede likes this.
  15. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,104 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    At #16

Donald
    Barr
    Jernigan
    waving monkey likes this.
  16. egn22

egn22 Well-Known Member

875 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    Agreed that's why I'm all about a trade back
  17. DFWJC

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Given how raw he is, I think ultimately Barr can play 4-3 DE, but, imo, it devalues him some vs being a 3-4 olb.
  18. DFWJC

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    I really think anywhere from 2-5 of those guys go in the 45-65 range....especially Jeffcoat. In any case, there should be some decent prospects at the position there at both our 2nd and 3rd round picks.
  19. Risen Star

22,671 Messages
    9,900 Likes Received
    But do not forget our hidden need at cornerback.
    McLovin likes this.
  20. Risen Star

22,671 Messages
    9,900 Likes Received
    I don't like any of the DEs projected in the first round. Even Clowney. He has rare ability but I just don't trust his heart and motor.

Now the 2nd round is where I think there are a couple of nice prospects who will need to fill out and carry that weight well in this defense. Led by Lawrence and Jeremiah Attaochu.
    starfrombirth likes this.