1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anthony Barr would play RDE in Dallas

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 15, 2014.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

14,725 Messages
    6,546 Likes Received
    Even if you really liked Ealy, I just don't think he is the type of DE that they need the most. I see him growing into a good, possibly really good SDE but that's not what I want from a 1st round pick. They already have those types on the roster and most of the DEs in the draft fit that profile.
    Kaiser likes this.
  2. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,616 Messages
    1,520 Likes Received
    Main difference between Barr and Ware coming out of college is strength. Barr had 15 reps at the bench, Ware had 27. Barr is also not comfortable with his hand in the dirt. He'll have his struggles.

I like him as a prospect but I don't expect much from his rookie year. Combine that with Selvie's mediocre performance in the second half of the season as a pass rusher, and we have a hole at WDE that is not going to get covered by Mincey or any of our other DL unless somebody really surprises. Hoping for the best but it does not look promising.
  3. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,994 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Yep, that's just who I want to take with my 1st rnd pick.... someone who will be good in 3 years. Woo Hoo! Sign me up for that.
  4. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

2,599 Messages
    1,095 Likes Received
    I'll that the long view on the first round pick.
  5. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Donald does not take plays off. Donald is the type of player that makes everybody better. He can play anywhere on the line and make things happen. Donald will not be there and Barr will be there. I will literally vomit if Jerry goes Barr at 16
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,533 Messages
    5,723 Likes Received
    Especially if he heals properly and Denver uses him correctly. I also think things got stale in Dallas for Ware and he will be refreshed by the environmental change. At the very least he see him taking the production that Phillips had for them last season.

The real kick to the crotch will be when he is getting double digit sacks again and our vaunted rotation of Mincey/Selvie is struggling.
    locked&loaded, Nirvana and Gaede like this.
  7. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    I think things are stale for you in Dallas Al. Maybe you will follow Denver this year.
  8. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,533 Messages
    5,723 Likes Received
    You are right. Things do get stale after the same repetitive 8-8 malaise. Funny how that works out. But thanks for the fake fan, go follow another team commentary. That alone is always fresh, original and enlightening.
    morasp likes this.
  9. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    you earned it.
  10. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Barr at 16 would be an outstanding pick. I don't think he makes it to us though. Barr's a beast.
  11. Boys122

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Actually, there are at least 5 prospects I would draft at 16 who could fill a need and start right away.
  12. PSU999

PSU999 Benched

81 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Barr has BUST written all over him. He sucks as a pass-rusher. Tape after tape ive watched of him he gets stoned by the LT over and over. He has literally no pass rush moves. Just runs upfield and once his initial momentum is stopped, he gets engulfed by the LT. No bullrush, no counter moves, no power in his hands, cant disengage. If he can't get the edge with the speed rush, he's done. Most of his sacks are of the cleanup variety when someone else on his DL gets initial pressure and he tracks down the QB after 4 seconds. He gets very very few QB pressures outside of his 'hustle sacks'

Aaron Maybin/Vernon Gholston 2.0
  13. Boys122

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I couldn't disagree more.
  14. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

6,150 Messages
    1,165 Likes Received
    I don't think Barr will be a bust but I don't think he is the impact player you want at #16. I'd prefer a DT (to go along with Melton) that can generate a pass rush up the middle #16. I'd prefer ANYONE -- except CB, TE and QB, that is -- that can start from day one.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,229 Messages
    1,059 Likes Received
    How did he get all those sacks the last two years if he sucks as a pass rusher?

Is that stats guy his dad or something? Did he have an illness and every single opponent felt sorry for him?!

Get out of here. If you can't contribute a meaningful thought without hyperbole, you're just adding excess noise in a good draft forum
  16. PSU999

PSU999 Benched

81 Messages
    5 Likes Received

Aaron Maybin had 11.5 sacks his final year at Penn State. How'd that work out for him in the NFL?

There's a lot more to being a great pass-rusher than getting sacks. How often do you press the pocket. How often do you get pressures. When Barr isn't getting sacks he rarely gets pressures and rarely presses the pocket. He has no bull rush, no counter moves, and no hand usage.
  17. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

3,005 Messages
    547 Likes Received
    I'm trying to figure out who had the most sacks for the Seahawks and I think it was Avril with eight.
  18. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,229 Messages
    1,059 Likes Received
    That's fine. But to say he sucks as a pass rusher is hyperbole, especially considering his considerable productivity at doing just that.

Point being, don't ruin your good point by exaggerating. Your second post is good and I appreciate meaningful critique as opposed to blanket statements
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

14,725 Messages
    6,546 Likes Received
    Barr did increase his bench reps to 19 at his Pro Day, but I agree that the biggest difference is strength (and experience).

Selvie was the SDE which is not a position that is expected to get a lot of sacks in the Marinelli/Kiffin defense. They scheme to free up the WDE and 3-tech DT. I could see Selvie doing better if he moves to WDE; although, I expect a draft pick to get a lot of the snaps at WDE in the nickel.
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  20. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,905 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Now that We know we would only move up for right guy a couple of spots makes you think it's this guy or Donald right? I'd really want Barr though.