1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Anthony Spencer willing to play DE

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Jan 13, 2013.

1. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,458 Messages
    404 Likes Received
    BS, you don't get 11 sacks and as many pressures as he does every year and not be good against tackles.

EDIT: BTW, I sure wish Bowen was still on the team but team felt it unnecessary to keep him. As long as the money isn't outlandish I'd like to see us pay to keep him.
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,945 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    Yeah DE's get PAID...
  3. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,404 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    omg. DE get paid in the 4-3. A 3-4 OLB gets much less money.

We are not talking about pay cuts here.
  4. TwentyOne

2,404 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    this!
  5. TwentyOne

2,404 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    Thats exactly the point and thats why Spencer will be a good DE. Spencers strenght is to play the run but still be able to make preassure on the Qb.

To be able to play the run as an 4-3 DE is what makes you a great one. Just look at Mario Williams. He is a good rusher but they pay him the big bucks because he is also a force against the run where others at his position falter.

Being able to also play the run as a 4-3 DE makes the difference. Not to be a great pass rusher and a so lala run stopper.
  6. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,797 Messages
    149 Likes Received

Time to face the reality of the situation.....

Spencer had a great year, his best yet, but he is to old for the Cowboys to invest the money he is gonna get elsewhere. Yes SPENCER will get paid and handsomely....But the Cowboys cant break the bank for players who are on there downside of the career.
  7. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,644 Messages
    147 Likes Received

Are you? Why do people ask other people to sacrifice their livelihoods?
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,584 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    It'd be great to see them work something out that is good for both parties. Spenser can play football and I think he stepped up this year in the leadership role. I'd love to see him back and hope his position isnt crazy when it come to compensation.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,392 Messages
    795 Likes Received
    James Harrison got a 6 year $8m AAV deal in 2008. Lamar Woodley two years later got another 6 year deal with a $10m AAV.

It's the 4-3 OLB that don't get paid.
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

15,392 Messages
    795 Likes Received
    This is just not true. Year before last he started taking better angles against the tackles. The way he was coming off the ball made it too easy for the OT to push him wide. With the adjustment last year he started doing much better and broke through this year
  11. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,808 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    He's going to bank this offseason. I don't think it will be with us.
  12. TwentyOne

2,404 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    True. But what has this to do with my post ? I never said anything different.

I compared the payment of 4-3 DE to the payment of 3-4 OLBs. And the later wont get the money the DEs get.
  13. FuzzyLumpkins

15,392 Messages
    795 Likes Received
    Julius Peppers got a huge $15m AAV contract but Demarcus Ware got a 13m AAV contract 4 years before that. Given inflation and the like that's not a huge difference. If you are a top pass rusher it doesn't matter which front you play.

Both are HoFers and get paid like it.

In comparison Allen got a $12m AAV deal. It will be interesting to see what Miller, Smith and Matthew make over the next few years.
  14. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

10,995 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Sure would. I'd be playing for my favorite team and me staying to help the Cowboys win the SB would be worth it.
  15. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,225 Messages
    1,970 Likes Received

His agent will answer this question as soon as he get up off the floor from laughing.

:laugh2:
  16. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,978 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    ..your comment..really doesn't make a lot of sense.

..Spencer came from Purdue as a DE as a #1 pick. Whre had a 4-3. I think he can play it. Let him bulk back up and I think you still have a guy playing either a 4-3 or 3-4. Same thing with Ware. He also came from a 4-3.

This should be nothing but bonus for the new schemes.

:starspin RedBaLL EXPreSS:starspin
  17. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,424 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I really believe the Skins will make a serious run at him.
  18. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,331 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    This would be cool
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,199 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received

I'm not sure of this. LDE in a 43 usually don't command as much as Rush Ends do in a 43. Same for OLBs in a 34 but I don't know how the two compare. Would be interesting to see which is payed more.
  20. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I let Spencer walk and take that money and invest in two players (a starter and some depth). Spencer is 29 and we are moving to a 4-3, I'm willing to take the chance at 10M a year that he can play in Kiffin's 4-3.