1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Any health nuts on here?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by rash, Jan 29, 2012.

1. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'm trying to watch my weight; and I've done a decent amount of research on how to get started. Only problem is half of the stuff I read always seems to contradict the other half!

For instance, I read an article on AOL-Health that suggests a no-carb diet while in a different article on Men's health, I read that consuming whole wheat (still carbs!) improves the digestive process thanks to the fiber which in turn can help lose weight.

I'm not illiterate :), its just I'm being told so many different things (above was just one small example), that I don't know where to start! :banghead:

Anything counseling from you zoners is appreciated
  2. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,231 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    No carb is a temp solution to weight loss. It is hard to remain consistent. Eat whole grains and protein and healthy fats in moderation.
  3. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Eliminate carbs, redmeat and cheese, dairy... Then go on an all fruits and veggie diet. If you really want to lose weight, I suggest juicing, but it's not for everyone. Really, cut out the sugar and processed foods and high fat and you should be on your way. Mainly, you want to start eating a lot of veggies and I do mean a lot. Your system will eventually start craving raw food after you buck the habit of the traditional, American diet.

Also, watch the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. That should inspire you. Watch it over and over if you choose to go that route.
  4. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,746 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    One of the best ways to loose weight and get into good shape is interval training. It is nothing new and has been around for years. You basically sprint hard for 15-30 secs and then slow jog for about 45 sec to a minute then sprint again. You will confuse your body, speed up your metabolsim and can still burn calories 14 hours after you stop exercising. You can do this running, biking, lifting wieghts, swiming, etc. Do this for about 30 minutes a day for 3 days a week. You will know that you are dong it right is when you have a hard time talking because you are essentially out of breath. With a moderate diet and exercise the weight will come off in no time. Good luck.
  5. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,861 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    My wife wanted to learn to eat right and feel better so she went to mercola.com and took a test to find out what her natural nutritional type was and ate only the foods that type is supposed to eat and over the last year she lost a pound or two a week and she lost over 50 lbs before stabilizing and now maintains her new size and weight but no longer loses.

She eats all she wants of the foods she can have and none of those she can't and has been at it for over a year now. She exercizes for the first time in her life and she looks and feels great.

Most people don't eat the foods that are right for them but just what they want without knowing.

You might check out mercola.com and see if his program is for you, it doesn't cost anything unless you buy his supplements.
  6. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't eat Pizza Hut.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,934 Messages
    2,087 Likes Received
    1) dont eat crap
    2) go to the gym
    3) don't drink beer (that's the toughest)

I lost like 35lbs without a specific diet. Losing weight and keeping it off is about a permanent lifestyle change rather than a specific diet plan. These no-carb diets and the like are a sham imo. Sure they work, but that doesn't mean that losing weight has to be that complicated.

....also I agree with Bigdog about interval training. It's legit.
  8. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,013 Messages
    1,425 Likes Received
    I'm not sure if you are serious with this. Fruits = carbs = fructose = sugar. Also fat doesn't make you fat. An abundance of calories makes you gain fat.

Original poster - Are you trying to lose weight or fat? Also you will find out in the nutrition & health world that almost everything contradicts something or another. You have to find what works best for you. For me, it's a high protein diet with moderate carbs and fats. Being 6'0 tall, I've maintained 185-190 lbs for 3-4 years now while working out. I aim for at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. So that means I'll at least ingest 185 grams of protein daily. Usually it's more. And this comes from all sources of protein (eggs, chicken,fish, steak, whey, casein, cheese, etc.) I would not advise you cut out dairy. If i did, whey and casein would be gone and those are critical for me in order to maintain and preserve muscle.

Most of my carbs are ingested pre and post workout. Towards the end of the day, I'll eat more green veggies + protein. Starchy carbs are cut out.

If you go on a keto diet, you'll lose weight which is both fat and muscle. keto diets are usually short term.

It really depends on what your goals are.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,934 Messages
    2,087 Likes Received
    I'm not sure if you seriously don't know that there are two different kinds of carbs...or recognize that fat makes you fat. Unsaturated probably won't, but trans fats are so ridiculously hard to break down that unless you're a gym rat they'll make you fat. :laugh2:
  10. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,375 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    every weightloss plan has down sides to it and may not work as well as something else but the tried and tested way is calories in vs calories out.

simple, find your ideal weight, find your optimal caloric intake(based on what you weigh now) for maintenance(no gain, no loss) and then restrict your intake by 500-1000 calories(from optimal) depending on how fast you want to lose or if you don't want to work out that much. you will be hungry but that goes away. 1 pound of fat is 3500 calories, -500 a day x 7 days a week and that is one pound per week.

if your weight loss slows down or stops the check what your optimal intake is based on your new weight and restrict your calories further.

this site will do just about everything i just said for you, some things aren't perfect but the caloric intake for maintenance and weight loss is good

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus
    this is one pound of fat

[IMG]

also just try and avoid empty calories like beer and try and not consume things in which more than half of the calories come from fat like mayonnaise and ranch and so on
  11. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

5,435 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    Bam! This guy's got it, I defy anyone to gain weight eating a high protein diet from lean protein sources. It's HARD to eat a gram of protein per lb of body weight (without frying it or dousing it in sauces or oils).

More than you'll ever want to know can be found here:

www.bodyrecomposition.com

www.leangains.com

G/L!
  12. Kristi

Kristi I Rue Everything

360 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I'm on Weight Watchers and I am currently down almost 20 lb. I weigh in on Mondays so it keeps me good on weekends so hopefully I hit that 20 lb mark tomorrow.

I really like the WW program as it keeps you accountable and you can pretty much eat what you want. I'm also doing this from a wheelchair so my metabolism is a lot slower so the weight isn't coming off as fast as I want it too. The meetings are great, men and women of all ages. More women then men. One guy in our group is a trucker and he's lost over 50 lb.

Most fruits and vegetables are zero points and you can eat as many as you want in moderation. I mean you can't eat 20 bananas and that be zero, but it's a simple plan to follow.

You should never eliminate a major food group. It's eating things in moderation. Good healthy oils are good for weight loss too. WW suggest 2-3 teaspoons a day which you fry up a lean chicken breast or spray it on a salad and you are good to go for the day.

I'm an etools user so I just plug in what I eat online or on my phone. Most things are on there. And with their new scanner you can scan anything with a bar code on your phone and get the point value. SUPER EASY. They also have a recipe builder and you can plug in your favorites and get a point value for it.

You also get an alloted extra 49 points for a treat or something you really want and you can eat all of them if you want. I hardly ever use these points, but if I want a piece of cheese cake that's what these points are for. You can also eat your workout points. I get 29 points in a day and roughly 12 workout points a day give or take what I do. I'm lucky to get my 29 points eaten, I don't know how people can eat the extra and workout points, but over eating isn't my problem. It's not eating enough is my problem.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Maybe we should start a weight loss club at the Zone and we can post how much we are losing, any tips, etc. You can never have too much support when it comes to losing weight whichever way you are doing it.
  13. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,663 Messages
    639 Likes Received

That calculator says I burn 3800+ calories a day and need to try and limit myself to 2800 if I want to lose 2 lbs. a week. I've been limiting myself to 2000 calories a day (outside of a few splurge days) for the last 5 months. While I'd definitely like to eat more sometimes, it doesn't seem right that I should eat almost another 1000 calories more a day than I am. If I did that I'd be doing what got me big in the first place.
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,880 Messages
    2,438 Likes Received
    Guess nobody wants to let the guy know of the easiest diet plan out there.

Meth.

Come with a bunch of cool perks too.

1. Every inch of your house will be spotless.

2. You are never hungry.

3. You never have to sleep.
  15. Jenky

4,013 Messages
    1,425 Likes Received
    Complex and simple. It doesn't matter. Fructose is still sugar and un-used energy stores as FAT.

Also I could point out the fact that once he starts to juice his fruits, the absorption rate/consumption/break down changes. He could end up trying 5,000 calories worth of sugars and not know it. I'm not saying that could happen, but it's easier to keep track of what you are actually eating.

Fat doesn't make you fat. If i ate nothing but fat and stayed under caloric maintenance, I would not get fat.

When you go on a keto diet, guess what you stack up on? Fat and Protein. :laugh1:

And yes trans and hydrogenated fats are bad. I left that out cause I thought it was common sense.

There are minimal traces of naturally occurring trans fat in beef and other meat products, but Iwouldn't go as far as cutting those out either.
  16. Jenky

4,013 Messages
    1,425 Likes Received
    Leangains is great. I might try that during the summer.
  17. Trendnet

Trendnet Active Member

734 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Bolded is about the most basic way to understand weight loss.

Eat less than what you spend.

I don't care what you eat, all fruits, nothing but bacon, a dozen doughnuts; if you eat 1700 calories but spend 2000+ calories by working out you'll lose weight.

I personally don't believe in going to one extreme or another. I'm not an "all meat no carbs" or "juice your vegetables" kind of guy.

I simply eat what I want, and workout. I find it tends to balance itself out that way.
  18. Jenky

4,013 Messages
    1,425 Likes Received
    Thanks for saying it in more simplistic terms. Calorie is king.
  19. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

5,435 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    The transformation of those people at lean gains are fantastic. I'm trying to figure out how to fit it into my schedule. I really struggle to eat all that lean protein. I like protein shakes, but they recommend eating whole foods. Have you found any tricks to getting all that protein eaten without feeling like you're eating dried shoe leather?
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,457 Messages
    2,598 Likes Received
    It all boils down to calories in vs calories out. The type of food you eat wont make you thinner or fatter. Undereating/overeating will.

Research how to find the amount of calories you need in a day and if you want to lose weight eat 300-500 less calories everyday from what your maintenance is and be consistent.

I'd also take a multi vitamin and fish oil.

Please do not do this.