1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Robin Hobb fans?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Maikeru-sama, May 26, 2010.

1. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm almost done with the Farseer Trilogy and I was trying to find out if 'The Liveship Traders' Trilogy is any good and do I have to read it to understand the events of 'The Tawny Man' Trilogy.

2. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,293 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    No, you don't. I read the Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man Trilogy and understood the Tawny Man Trilogy just fine. I didn't read the Liveship Traders though.

3. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yeah, I am debating whether I should continue with Liveship Traders, jump straight to Tawny Man or read an entirely different series.

I have heard great things about 'A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen'.

4. Cover 2

3,293 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    If I remember correctly, Liveship Traders has nothing or very little to do with Tawny Man, so I would jump directly to that.

5. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I did some research and most said that you could skip Liveship Traders, but the events in Liveship Traders will event what happens in The Tawny Man.

I already ordered The Magic Ship on Kindle last night, so I am just going to go ahead and read The Liveship Traders.

That of course is assuming I can stop watching Lost for at least an hour or two :laugh2: .

6. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,246 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    For what its worth, I thought the Liveship Trader series was, by far, the best thing that Hobb has written. She does a great job of covering the points of view of a number of different characters, including some pretty alien ones. Liveship Traders also has a whole lot of information on what makes that world tick. I was actually somewhat disappointed with her other series after reading LT first.

I am going to be starting the Rain Wilds ones as soon as I can snag a copy.

7. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I hate her.

8. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,246 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    You read books?!?

(Sorry, just Generic Bob Baiting tm, I couldn't resist the line....;)

9. Cover 2

3,293 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    :laugh2: I understand about Lost. I watched the first 5 seasons in like two months.

Well, let us know what you think about the Liveship Traders. It appears someone else liked it, so I may have to read it.