1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Any TEs or OL who can long snap?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Biggems, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,820 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    who can double as LS?

I am just curious.....I am not disappointed with LPL, but if we could find a position player who can do the same thing, we could potentially use the roster spot for another WR, RB, DL, or DB.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    I think I prefer a dedicated long snapper, that's not something you want to experiment with if it's working...
  3. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,885 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    An excellent thought, but I say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
  4. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,820 Messages
    143 Likes Received

I see your point, but just because someone has other duties, doesn't mean they are not dedicated to longsnapping as well.

I mean we don't have a guy who is only a holder. We have the punter or QB who holds.

Just because you have TE duties, doesnt mean you cannot excel at LS. Just because you have OL duties, doesnt mean you cannot excel at LS.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    I'm not even worried about excelling, if you're going to do both, chances are you excel. Injuries are my major concern in that scenario, but I suppose it would take a pretty significant injury for a guy to be unable to snap.
  6. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Well, pretty much all JPL does is long snap at practices. That is his sole responsibility.

A Tight End would practice running routes, catching the ball, learning the playbook, blocking techniques etc. In addition to having to snap the ball.

I think it is easy to figure out that more responsibility as a position player would translate into less time snapping.

I mean it can be done, we have had players do it in the past, but JPL has been a great snapper for us, I wouldn't tinker with that. Especially with how shaky our special teams can be at times.
  7. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received

It wouldn't have to be signigicant, a jammed finger can hamper a snap. A Broken finger or hand basically rules you out of the equation. A back strain or any type of back or leg issue such as a hamstring also pretty much rules you out from snapping.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. Our long snapper is one of the very best in the NFL.

For the sake of a million or so in cap space to fool around with that is totally MORONIC.
  9. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    :hammer: