1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anyone ever participate in a protest?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ninja, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,776 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    I have never participated in a protest. I see these protesters on tv and wonder how do they get the day off from their employers. Did they call in sick only to be seen on tv protesting? What's with these tree huggers living in a tree in CA protesting the building of a gym throwing human feces at the police? Someone needs a serious tazing!

There are many things I dislike but none ever led me to protest in the streets or at college. To me, people look sill standing outside holding a sign.

Anyone ever actively participate in a protest? What for? And why?
  2. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Apparently, there is a group that comes up to our campus once a year to protest our ROTC program. The ROTC people cannot be in uniform that day and don't do their daily activities in training.

I decided to go down and check it out (this was a month, maybe 2 months ag). There were like 30 of them, carrying around signs, chanting stuff like "impeach Bush" "don't teach killing" etc.

Thing is; I'd think you'd want to teach the people heading into the military how to do some of this stuff, so you know, they can do their jobs....

They apparently disagreed.
  3. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Me yesterday...

[IMG]
  4. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What are you doing to that tree??? :eek:

:eekmouse:
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,012 Messages
    728 Likes Received
    I think Sassy is behind him ....
  6. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm shall we say...Loving it.
  7. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,468 Messages
    245 Likes Received
    Never been involved in a protest. I don't want to be caged in a "free speech zone".
  8. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't they have women in Ohio?
  9. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I hope you got all the bees out first :lmao2:
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,869 Messages
    2,646 Likes Received
    No, and I never will be under any circumstances. I don't believe they do anything other than cause a lot of people to act like complete fools.
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,624 Messages
    1,387 Likes Received
    That is what they thought about the folks at the Boston Tea Party. :laugh2:

For the most part I agree with you. It is kind of like unions. A once good thing that has been exploited and abused. There are still the rare instances when they are actually useful and beneficial.
  12. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would bet most of the people at the Boston Tea Party could name their governor, know which continent England was on, and could name the King of England.

Have you ever heard some of the interviews with those buffoons? I think a lot of the protestors were out there for a social gathering, because they certainly didn't have a clue what they were protesting about! I think your IQ has to fall several percentage points before you can join a war protest or an abortion protest.
  13. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,711 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    It would prolly help if you're only exposure to "protestors" wasn't via corporate media outlets like Fox. Let's face it - media conglomerates and their corporate sponsors are likely to be among the targets of the protesting.

Hey, many people DO have the guts to protest what they view as injustice. Just not so much in America, anymore.

And one of the reasons may well be the unspoken guarantee that any press coverage of their protests will be of the most unflattering variety. Because that is just a symptom of what the corporate media has become - they act as salesmen to the country that "All is well!"... Don't pay attention to these flakes - other than to notice their bold "otherness" and be made to feel uncomfortable by the spectacle of it. Sleep - buy - procreate.

The older I get the more relevent John Carpenter's "They Live" becomes. Pity that.
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    And you can't even see the knot hole on the other side.
  15. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Damn you...I was going to post that but didn't. :p:

[IMG]
  16. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,869 Messages
    2,646 Likes Received
    Alas, there are no new countries and governments to form. I don't see a revolution as a protest. Maybe it is to a larger degree.

I will say this, I do respect the man who stood in front of the tank in Tiananmen Square. The bravest thing I have ever seen in my life. I don't believe our Government is that kind of regime though, regardless of who is in power.

Most protests I see are about shouting out political beliefs. I don't care about those people's political beliefs being shouted out at me. I especially do not respect anti-war protestors. They do their protests very close to my home when they happen in Tucson. It takes every bit of self control I posess not to clock some of these people. Their hatred of our country galls me.
  17. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe you might want to know something about me before posting. I watch very little Fox News. I have seen these buffoons in my city with 'Bush is a Nazi' and other ridiculous signs. Our local radio station (99X whose morning guys tend to lean a little to the Democrat side) would go out and interview these protestors. Most of these guys couldn't locate Iraq on a map, didn't know who the leader of Iraq was, didn't know who the state governor was, didn't know that WMD were the reason stated for going to war, didn't know the leader of the UN, didn't know who the VP was, etc. Maybe you might want to visit news sites other than one's that post left-wing propaganda.
  18. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,711 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    And I'll raise you twice that many thick-headed right-wingers that believe the WMDs were there, Bush loves the Constitution, Cheney is their lovable Uncle Dick, Rumsfeld was a master of organization, all detainees are/were enemy combatants, and Halliburton et al get all their contracts based on bids.
  19. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,898 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Let's face it... Conservatives are too busy going to work, raising a family and paying taxes to protest... ;)

And I'll raise you twice that many thick-headed left-wingers that believe about every conspiracy theory that comes down the pike...

I'm still waiting for Bush to declare Martial Law and forcibly take over the government. That one was all over the place a couple of years back...
  20. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,711 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    I'll bet I put in more hours than you do and Bush & Company are anything but "above board"... it just took a little longer for the majority to catch on. But catch on they have.

Oh, by the way - that wooshing sound you hear is your little neo-con raft swiftly deflating...