1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anyone ever visited/lived in Portland, OR?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by brymatt94, Jun 16, 2014.

1. brymatt94

brymatt94 Well-Known Member

494 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    I am looking into going to school in Portland and was trying to find a pulse on the city. I've heard good things about it but if anyone has first hand experience there I'd really appreciate hearing about it. I know every place has its pros and cons, so I'm just trying to find a good fit.
  2. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,978 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    If you like music, riding bicycles, hipsters, and smoking weed you'll have a good time. Definitely a good spot for college I would assume. Check out the TV show Portlandia, it's funny.

brymatt94 and BigStar like this.
  3. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,576 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    portlandoregon.gov (didn't want to add a link, so just put the www in front here)
  4. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,630 Messages
    2,180 Likes Received
    What RR said, it is a pretty cool city. It is close to the coast, Seattle, the Dalles, etc with lots of volcanoes around. It does rain a lot with lots of nature to explore. The traffic can be a mess, it seems they are bass ackwards when it comes to roads/highways.

I don't think I could settle down there but a few years would be a good experience while ya get through school.
  5. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

859 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    While an interesting place to visit, you won't want to settle down there if you're a Texan -- too wet, not enough sun, and the people aren't gregarious like Texans. Many folks are organic purists, which means no deodorant. Some of the ladies don't shave their pits or legs. Sounds a bit European, except they smoke weed instead of cigarettes.

Good seafood and forests and fishing. Bad air travel issues due to constant diversions from fog.
  6. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,222 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    I have been there many times. Great place! Oregon is beautiful.
  7. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Active Member

297 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    Beautiful area - cooler/wetter/greener than Dallas. More liberal society. In addition to being in a town the Mavericks visit, you're about 3 hrs from the parks in Seattle when the Cowboys/Rangers visit.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,979 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    There are reasonably priced train tickets from Portland to Seattle, too.

Portland and Oregon in general is a great place to visit.
  9. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,576 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    lol. I can say the same for some women in parts of Texas.
  10. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

859 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    There's one college town that comes to mind..................
  11. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,122 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    khiladi, TheCowboy and Doc50 like this.
  12. brymatt94

494 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    I really appreciate all the insight! Is the use of bikes really that prominent? And is the "hipster" tag exaggerated?
  13. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,978 Messages
    474 Likes Received
  14. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,630 Messages
    2,180 Likes Received
    Remember, when playing on the nature trails, always yield to..............

[IMG]
    cml750, khiladi and brymatt94 like this.
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,559 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    I know one kid from Portland....he was a huge hipster and an even bigger ****** lol
  16. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,964 Likes Received
    Depends on the neighborhood.

Definitely a nice place to go to college, though. The girls there are pretty and friendly. The weather and scenery is even better.
  17. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,616 Messages
    733 Likes Received
    I live in Portland, OR. Have lived all over the country and outside the US and it is one of my favorite places. I love the West Coast in general. There are some things that take getting used to. Specifically the rain. People do not really exaggerate how much it does rain. I think it averages around 90 days per year of sunshine. Get outside of the Willamette Valley though and the number of sunny days drastically increases. Bend, OR for example is one of the sunniest places in the US. Let me know if you have any questions.
    windward and brymatt94 like this.
  18. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,616 Messages
    733 Likes Received
    What you say has some truth to it but it rather exaggerated. There are definitely woman like you describe but it is not like the majority are like that.

FWIW I have flown in and out of PDX several times and have not had to deal with fog. Not saying it does not happen but personally never an issue.

In Washington you can grow your own weed :)
  19. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,616 Messages
    733 Likes Received
    Plenty of hipsters and lots cyclists.
  20. brymatt94

494 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    Thank you very much for all the info! I greatly appreciate it. If you wouldn't mind, I might PM you if that's okay with some questions.