1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anyone Track Draft Buzz from Previous Years?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by egn22, Apr 20, 2012.

1. egn22

egn22 Well-Known Member

875 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    I'm curious to see how some of the guys the media were really hyping ending up being busts, and how some of the guys that were notorious for taking plays off (like Quinton Coples), or for simply being combine workout warriors (like dontari poe), ended up being stars.

All of this talk about people jumping in front of us to basically snatch everyone who was associated with the Cowboys draft a month ago (DeCastro, Cox, Barron), means someone has to fall to us.

Does anyone keep track of how some of the top prospects careers compare to their scouting reports?

Maybe Poe or Coples are actually worth the 14th pick and can significantly contribute to improving our defense.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    Yes. Scouting services keep statistics on that and on many pay sites, they post their evaluations of players in an archive that can be referenced by users etc.
  3. egn22

egn22 Well-Known Member

875 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    so scouting services is a free website?
  4. ABQCOWBOY

35,186 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    No. Scouting Services are actual NFL utilized services. That kind of info is probably not open to the general public but there are some on this board who may have access to that kind of info. I have not looked at every site so I can't say how closely every site tracks that sort of info, if at all. I know that there are pay sites that do but they are not free so I'm not sure if that helps you.

Are there specific players you are interested in?
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,894 Messages
    1,481 Likes Received
    There is data out there.
    But that's like using pick up lines on women because they are the most effective after blind polls.

Each team is different and each marriage of team to player is unique.

You get good value by taking fallers be they thugs, injury concerns or position questions. Other than that best you can do is draft guys with a plan in place for them and get them in the system.

Where Garrett's mgmt style and process focus may well work best is with draftees. They need the structure and don't know anything else but the plan laid out for them.
  6. egn22

egn22 Well-Known Member

875 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    i'm thinking the negative Coples buzz i keep hearing could push him back to 14, and i'm wondering how reliable these scouting reports are. if the guy can play, and isn't necessarily inspired by his coach. or has some bad film that is reported and spreads like wild fire via social media, he could end up proving everyone wrong.

Poe from what i hear played under a really poor coaching unit. what if we have a guy who can greatly improve our pass rush right under our nose (no pun intended)?

i'm not really convinced that these guys need to just be ignored because of what we're hearing in the media. and i'm wondering if there were any examples of this in the league right now.

i remember there were questions marks about Mario Williams. but no one else really comes to mind. a lot of you guys have been researching this for years so i figured some of you might have some examples.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,373 Likes Received
    Vernon Gholston anyone?

Al the mocks had him in the top 5 ot 10. He was a bit of a workout warrior but did have ok production at Ohio St. He went 6th and was a total bust.

As for Coples. I guess in the the minority on this board, becasue I think he's going to be a very good (maybe great) one. I think the comments are WAY overblown on him taking plays off. There were even some lies put out there about him that included Butch Davis agreeing on this. Davis says no way and he thinks Coples is a total stud with a good motor and great versatilty.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

35,186 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    Coples is a bit unique IMO. It's very hard to evaluate him because of the situation at UNC while he was there. I mean, he may have been making a business decision there or he may have been playing his keys according to the scheme. One thing is sure, we have enough connections at UNC to be able to get good intel on that. We should know what up with that player. He has the best skill set of anybody in this draft IMO. Nobody has more upside and nobody has better natural skills then he does IMO.

Poe is raw, everybody says that. Is he lazy? I don't know if he is or not but one thing is certain, he is a guy I would not take at 14. At 14, you should be able to get a player who has skills and who has technique. If we were interested in taking him, then I would think we would probably trade down and try to make that move. That's just my view on it thou.
  9. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    If I were going to bet, I'd bet that 2 of Coples, Poe and Brockers will be great players and 1 will fail miserably.

The stuff about motor with Coples is somewhat troubling, but to me that is on the coaches of the team that drafts him. A coach's job is to teach proper technique and get maximum effort from players. Coaches love players that don't need much coaching, but that does not mean that you should not take talented players that need coaching.
  10. egn22

egn22 Well-Known Member

875 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    cool, thanks for the insight