1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Archer: 5 Wonders: Time to look at Bailey's contract?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 19, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,128 Messages
    6,909 Likes Received
    Jun 18
    9:30
    AM CT
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

The contractual future of Anthony Spencer has been a hot topic this offseason, as has the future of Sean Lee. Personally, I don’t see a deal for Spencer before the July 15 deadline, but I can see Lee signed to a long-term deal before the season opener. What about Dan Bailey? I wonder if the Cowboys would look at tying up their kicker to a new deal. He is set to make $555,000 this year and become a restricted free agent after this season. The Cowboys have shown a willingness to get deals done on players before they become restricted free agents (Jermey Parnell and Phil Costa come to mind), so why not take care of Bailey? Considering how close games are every week, having a reliable kicker is a must. Bailey is just about as good as there is in the league.

Center Travis Frederick worked with the starters from his first day of practice. Terrance Williams was with the first-team when the Cowboys went to their three-wide receiver set. Gavin Escobar did not knock James Hanna off his perch as the No. 2 tight end behind Jason Witten. I wonder if Hanna will hold on to that job longer than we think. Escobar got more work in the regular offense later in the minicamp, but Hanna has made it difficult for the second-round pick. That’s a good thing, not a bad thing. Escobar raised his level of play as camp went on, making a nice sliding catch for a touchdown. Too many times the Cowboys seem to hand people jobs, but Escobar will have to earn this one.

I wonder if people are sleeping on Lance Dunbar a little bit. While Joseph Randle is the presumed backup to DeMarco Murray, Dunbar had a terrific offseason and has the trust of the guy who matters most in the offense. No, not Jason Garrett. Not Bill Callahan either. But Tony Romo.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4709739/5-wonders-time-for-dan-baileys-contract
  2. VirusX

VirusX Active Member

1,392 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I agree! Sign Bailey to a long term deal. He is the most solid kicker we have had in a LONG time.

Lee should be a top priority. We cant afford to lose someone like him, he is on his way to a HOF career if he cant stay healthy.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,791 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Sad thing is that kickers can go bad so fast.
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,167 Messages
    2,339 Likes Received
    Hall of Fame? LOL

Let's reach the level of Dat Nguyen before we start talking about Hall of Fame.
  5. ndanger

ndanger Active Member

2,298 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Wow really? That's just a goofy statement.
  6. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Post history.
  7. ilykdrama

ilykdrama Active Member

438 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    Agreed. Lee is already as good as Dat in my opinion. Not better cause it hasn't been long enough but AS good.
  8. demirji22

demirji22 Member

119 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I agree we should sign him, but dont forget
    Nick Folk looked just as good until he lost "it".
    You remember that Buffalo game on Monday night that we had no business winning.
  9. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,446 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Yes. As we seem to see on our squad.
    Yes... Long term - but not large SB or anything extra in the $$ department.
  10. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,600 Messages
    3,134 Likes Received
    Here's another writer who thinks the Cowboys' defensive line has the makings to be good and thinks there could be some decent depth there.

Maybe the defense won't suffer adding that pass-rushing phenom in Floyd and his 4.5 college sacks. :D
  11. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,128 Messages
    1,824 Likes Received
    I agree about re-signing Bailey. I haven't forgotten how miserable the kicking situation was before we found him.

And I'm not eager to go back there.
  12. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,012 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    He makes a lot of those.
  13. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Bailey is automatic... Love his calm cool demeanor!
  14. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,401 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    I agree that kickers can go bad without notice. But Bailey is in a different situation than Folk. Folk had surgery for a torn labrum in his hip before his third season, rushed his rehab and the hip didn't heal properly. That kind of injury for a kicker is potentially pretty bad - if it doesn't heal right, you can overcompensate and your mechanics change. He's been okay with the Jets but has never approached those first two years with Dallas.

I'd like to see us extend Bailey soon.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I wouldn't re-sign him before the season started.

His price isn't going to skyrocket so might as well play it safe and make him start strong to get that contract.

I like the guy and have more confidence in him than I have had in any kicker in a LONG, LONG time but he plays a cheap position and waiting doesn't hurt.
  16. VirusX

VirusX Active Member

1,392 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

That's 4.5 per game right?! :p:
  17. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I agree - no big rush to lock up Bailey. Maybe late season offer a moderate priced extension. For as good as he has been he has missed a number of makeable kicks that would have won games: 49 yarder in Arizona, 50 yarder against the Ravens and the blocked FGA against the Giants in 2011 from about 49 yards. He has been good but not great and his accuracy tails off significantly at about 48 yards. Guys who are good from this distance with marginal kickoff legs and a so-so clutch kick record don't get huge contracts and aren't worth them. Having said that, I do think he is good kicker and is worth a moderate sized contract. I do like the idea of having that position settled for about 5 years with a modest signing bonus.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,791 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Bailey is very near automatic until you get to around 45 yards or so. So he deserves a GOOD contract but not a great one. Great ones should be for those guys that consistently hit on everything up to and over 50 yards.
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Bailey is one of the very best players on this team and probably the most underrated of any of them.
  20. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,939 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Doesn't everybody's?

Like who?

I wonder if your expectations are unrealistic.