1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Recap: Archer Chat: 4/17/14

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 18, 2014.

1. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,831 Messages
    3,129 Likes Received
    You seem to know a lot about old and new trade charts that NFL teams have , can you post a couple of the new charts from a couple of NFL teams so the rest of us can catch up?

Or are you just blowing smoke with esp your last statement ?

I will wait patiently for these new trade value charts
    NJ22 and cheftjpeck like this.
  2. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,958 Messages
    1,251 Likes Received
    When a team gets two starters with its first round pick, I would say it has done very well. If we had done anything differently there is always a chance we could have gone a different way and bombed out. You just never know in the draft.
    Idgit, cheftjpeck and jobberone like this.
  3. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

11,252 Messages
    2,761 Likes Received
    It's all speculative and everyone will have their opinions and think they are right no matter what.
    Smoke screen, excuses, because it fall their way and panicked, took what the could. It doesn't matter. Why can't one believe the team by them saying they go good value according to their charts?
    Why believe a "scout" who is not necessarily a draft guru?

Whatever you believe, it worked out, and chances are most likely if they did get a 2nd rounder, they still may have taken Williams anyway.
    I believe or more like wished they got a 2nd rounder from it, but if they say their charts gave them value, then I'll go with it, all the self called experts say they didn't get value, well ok, I can see that too. But are we all happy we got 2 productive players that will contribute for a long time. Yes, some will say they could have took this guy or that guy. But we don't know how it would have worked out.

Give me another trade down and get a 2nd or a 3rd, but would be nice to get a 6th also with that 3rd. I'll take that again this year.
    jobberone likes this.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

42,587 Messages
    6,449 Likes Received
    You may be right about a smoke screen. But there is nothing but conjecture otherwise. If you have a quote using the words panicked or we weren't prepared then give us a link. If not then just say its your opinion and/or the medias opinion. Here words are important.
    cheftjpeck likes this.
  5. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

5,286 Messages
    2,456 Likes Received
    I don't think it's logical to look at who was drafted. You look at which picks were acquired. For example, the Patriots could have traded their 1st round pick in 2000 for a 6th round pick and drafted Tom Brady. Great player but not great value. Obviously a 6th round pick isn't worth a 1st.
    daveferr33 likes this.
  6. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

3,580 Messages
    1,537 Likes Received
    Are could it be the Cowboy's knew their business and made the right call. Maybe they correctly valued the players not the media.
    We can play this game back and forth. You don't think they know their business while I think their correcting their coarse.
  7. jobberone

42,587 Messages
    6,449 Likes Received
    At the time you look at the value but you also have to understand in the end everyone is drafting a potential player even the can't misses. What you want is starters and contributors and the picks are a means to an end.
  8. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

11,252 Messages
    2,761 Likes Received
    I wasn't quoting anyone, just stating my opinion from various posts of others.
    jobberone likes this.
  9. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,908 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    Again if it was just a handful of journalist who said it I wouldn't put to much into it. It was more than that. Plus just to a "common fan" like myself it didn't seem like a good value trade. So when everyone but the cowboys fo comes out and says it wasn't. I tend to lean toward it wasn't. I never said they don't know there business. I said the panicked and it wasn't prepared. The best fo make mistakes. I also think they are correcting the course. Still doesn't mean they don't and won't make mistakes. Imo opinion that trade wasn't good value. In the end it worked out and that's what counts.
  10. jobberone

42,587 Messages
    6,449 Likes Received
    I was addressing @JoeyBoy718
  11. cej757

cej757 Well-Known Member

692 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    Stephen Jones said they were the ones that made up the chart. Lol. What in the heck did Stephen and Jerry help make up back then? I bet Jimmy Johnson just shakes his head when he hears this stuff.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

19,427 Messages
    9,913 Likes Received
    Those dc.com media guys are not even allowed to use the coaches or front office bathrooms.
  13. cheftjpeck

cheftjpeck Active Member

469 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    I would take last years trade and outcome so far all day long as opposed to the previous year when we traded up to nab what was supposed to be sure fire blue chipper who has yet to pan out .. I don't get why some like to say that it doesn't matter about who you pick / results but the value of the pick ... So by that logic if we traded down and got a bust in the 2nd ; we still did better because the pick / trade had better value?
    That logic doesn't make sense in a results oriented world ...
    Lets even say we drafted the same players but got one with the second and media claimed they were both reaches... But heck great pick values ..
    jobberone likes this.
  14. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

3,580 Messages
    1,537 Likes Received
    Yes are going around in circles and I agree to disagree
  15. iceberg

iceberg nothing is nothing Zone Supporter

29,389 Messages
    2,342 Likes Received
    Um, billick liked it, and others did too. Look it up it got typical mixed reviews.
  16. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

13,363 Messages
    6,033 Likes Received
    Yeah, frankly it is a bit ridiculous that some people still can't stop worrying about that. Each draft is unique and last season when it came time for our pick in the first round, Dallas didn't really see anyone they wanted at that spot and so was bound and determined to trade back. In that instance, that was all they could do, and since they valued getting a late first and a third more than keeping that mid first round, they went ahead and pulled the trigger. I don't think they much liked anyone available at our original first round pick.

This year, I doubt they'd do that trade because there will likely be someone available at 16 who they do like. Maybe this year they laugh at a late first and early third for our first. Who knows? Really, it does change year-to-year, and rightfully so.

In a nutshell, what really matters is coming out of the draft with good players, and for that one first round pick Dallas got two really good players.
    jobberone and cheftjpeck like this.
  17. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    Love to see this mystery value chart. Funny how we lose on the old chart when we trade up or down but Stephen will always say they won in their super secret chart. Maybe they should go back to the chart everyone else uses.
  18. Little Jr

2,908 Messages
    405 Likes Received

I did and didn't find anything. Lol. In the end we got value on the cowboys secret chart that no one else has and the picks worked out. I'm happy.
  19. iceberg

iceberg nothing is nothing Zone Supporter

29,389 Messages
    2,342 Likes Received
    well i found some sites like it, some didn't, and some just screamed cause it was the cowboys. meet the new boss... :)

but like you say, it's working out for a change, so hopefully we're on an upswing.
  20. Little Jr

2,908 Messages
    405 Likes Received

I believe we are. I've actually liked the offseason moves we have made. I know I might be in the minority on that. Hopefully with a good or preferably a great draft and a little luck in the injury dept. we can make atleast a run at it this year. We will see
    iceberg likes this.