1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Archer: Could Saints make run at Anthony Spencer?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 6, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,706 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Feb 6
    1:36
    PM CT
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – With Rob Ryan at least in the mix to be New Orleans' next defensive coordinator -- if he's not already the guy -- let’s play a game of connect the dots involving Anthony Spencer.

The Saints are moving to the 3-4 scheme with or without Ryan as coordinator, which would make Spencer an attractive free-agent fit anyway. By adding Ryan to the mix, the Saints would be an even more likely destination for Spencer, who had his best season under Ryan.

Look at Ryan’s run with the Cowboys as an example. In 2011, the Cowboys signed Kenyon Coleman and Abram Elam, in part because of their pasts with Ryan in Cleveland. In 2012, the Cowboys signed Brodney Pool, who played for Ryan but lasted just a week or so into training camp.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4705533/could-saints-make-run-at-anthony-spencer
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,422 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    reports are coming out that we aren't going to resign him, then franchise and trade. Don't let him walk with atleast getting something.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    My hopes for a tag and trade grow..........must temper one's self.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    Did I read somewhere that they were planning on getting rid of Will Smith?

If they're going 34, doing that and signing Spencer would make a lot of sense.
  5. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,065 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Well I'd ask for their 1st (15th overall), but once they say no...I don't think they have a 2nd rounder this year, and I'd want more than a 3rd for Spencer.

So what would you take from them?
  6. supercowboy8

5,422 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    I would ask for a 2nd but be happy with a 3rd and 4th
  7. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,065 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure they don't have a 2nd rounder this year (NFL took away - unless they have since returned it?)
  8. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be opposed to giving them a later pick in an attempt to get their 1st.

Basically using a guy who won't be on your team to move up however many picks.
  9. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,016 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    So ask for their 1st in 2014. Teams seem more willing to trade future picks and in Spencer's case I think ke would be a hot commodity.
  10. Thatkidbob

Thatkidbob Member

343 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    This makes the most sense to me as well. Tag him & trade him for a future first.

Honestly, outside of the obvious pick, which first round pick is going to be better at OLB than Spencer? I think teams would much rather trade for a known quantity than take their chances spending the same pick on an unknown quantity.

It would be a great trade for both sides.
  11. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,650 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    Maybe I am missing something here but why would NO need to trade for him. They know Dallas doesn't have cap space to resign him and if Ryan lands in NO that would give them big advantage of signing Spencer even if another team offers him money.
  12. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    They may want to avoid a bidding war. Plenty of 3-4 teams out there. Spencer being the obvious cut position doesn't guarantee anything for New Orleans.
  13. supercowboy8

5,422 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    So another team doesn't trade for him. If we Franchise him and let it known we want to trade him, teams will call. If NO wants him then they better offer something. NYJ, Ravens, packers, Cards, could all be wanting him also.

Better to get something than nothing for him.
  14. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,906 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    How often does a franchise-trade actually happen? This doesn't sound like something our FO would be capable of doing.
  15. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,371 Messages
    981 Likes Received
    What makes you think we can make a brilliant move like this?

We will screw it up and lose him for nothing. When was the last time we got anything, other then comp, for any trade?
  16. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,637 Messages
    251 Likes Received
    We either sign him or let him walk. I can't see us pulling off a big trade for spencer
  17. supercowboy8

5,422 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Jerry is stupid enough to just let him walk
  18. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,907 Messages
    1,057 Likes Received
    Its not "stupid" to let him walk. Were the Panthers "stupid" for letting Peppers go or were the Texans "stupid" to let Mario Williams walk? Its what the NFL is in this free agency era. People bring up the Patriots because they were smart enough to take advantage of the Raiders stupidity. And then out of all those players they traded they didn't even do anything with those draft picks.
  19. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    They drafted Nate Solder who looks pretty good and is the LT of the New England OL that everyone is also so envious of.

Seems like something to me.

In any event, I'm not sure who they draft is relevant. Even if we count Solder as a wasted pick, what does that have to do with anything?
  20. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I don't see why we have to give him up. There is a place for him here. He's one of the Cowboys' own.