1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Archer: Handing out Cowboys offseason awards

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by speedkilz88, Jun 14, 2013.

1. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,857 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- With the Cowboys’ on-field work done until they get to Oxnard, Calif., next month, let’s hand out some awards from the six practices that were open to the media.

Best player, offense (not named Dez): Jason Witten

It would have been easier to give the award to Dez Bryant, who was excellent throughout the offseason, but his effort was chronicled throughout. From the opening practice to the end, Witten was the best player. He was more of a factor in the red zone. He was able to get down the middle of the field for longer catches. He was as reliable as ever.

Best player, defense: Sean Lee

If Anthony Spencer did not hurt his knee, then he was getting this award because of how dominant he was. Lee showed no rust from a long layoff or worry from a toe injury that required surgery. He filled quickly in the run game and did a nice job in the passing game.

Best rookie, offense: Terrance Williams

He started slowly with too many drops in the rookie camp but the arrow kept going up for him the more he practiced. He has a chance to be really good after the catch. He can get up the field quickly. He will benefit from having Bryant and Miles Austin ahead of him so he can take his time to a degree in learning.

Best rookie, defense: J.J. Wilcox

He has a lot of room to grow before he gets in the mix for a starting job but from the first day of rookie minicamp to the final day of the veteran minicamp, he was around the ball. You knew where he was. What has to make the Cowboys giddy, however, was the work they got from guys like B.W. Webb, DeVonte Holloman and Brandon Magee. Those guys could contribute this year.

the rest:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4709683/handing-out-some-cowboys-offseason-awards
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,478 Messages
    842 Likes Received
    Why is it best guy not named dez?

What the heck? Why can't it be dez? It's not like dez has been dominant for 3 years now. He's just finally starting to meet his potential.

But even if dez was the best player every other year, so what.

This isn't elementary school. Multiple kids dot need to win
  3. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,429 Messages
    2,284 Likes Received
    So he can work more names into the column.
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,521 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    For those of you who never watched some of those UDFA films that Brainpaint and Jobber put up after the draft, go look at the film of Eric Rogers that they put up from his last two years in college.

You can see a few things:

1. Size

2. Speed

3. Hands

4. Ball skills

5. Jumping ability

6. Toughness

7. Ability to catch in a crowd

8. Playmaking ability

Now all of it was at a lower level but he has legit NFL measurables and he was a track champ in long jump and triple jump, I believe.

I really think this guy could be something and if he flashes a lot in preseason I'd suggest we keep him over Coale and/or Beasley rather than risk exposing him to the rest of the league after we have shown everyone what he can do.

If he looks overmatched and doesn't do much he is a prime candidate for the PS to give him a year of development with the coaches so he can try again with this higher level of competition.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,857 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    Times I've seen him mentioned they say he's slow but catches everything. Don't remember seeing him drop anything. That he's a candidate for the practice squad.
  6. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,478 Messages
    842 Likes Received
    so he goes with witten? lol, im pretty sure we know what we are getting in Jason Witten
  7. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Probably should have been the best guy not named Dez or Witten.. for obvious reasons.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,521 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Pro day results
    6-3
    40: 4.48, 4.50, 4.51 in 3 trials
    vert: 37
    bj: 10-1
    ss: 4.1
    3c: 6.89

Terrance Williams
    6-2
    40: 4.48
    vert: 32.5
    bj: 9-11
    ss: 4.32
    3c: 7.01

So why is one guy so fast and one guy so slow? Rogers is actually taller than TWill.

I just think Rogers is green and raw and doesn't know how to get into his routes quickly yet so he plays much slower. He really only started playing football more seriously last year and focused more on track and field previously. He was an All-American in the triple jump in 2010 and 2011.

I've always liked these guys who play football and run track. It seems that once they solely concentrate on football they can really take off now that the distraction from track and field is gone.

Anyhow, I really think we may have something with this guy and I really look forward to seeing what he can do in preseason.
  9. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,315 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Best rookie, defense: J.J. Wilcox

He has a lot of room to grow before he gets in the mix for a starting job but from the first day of rookie minicamp to the final day of the veteran minicamp, he was around the ball. You knew where he was. What has to make the Cowboys giddy, however, was the work they got from guys like B.W. Webb, DeVonte Holloman and Brandon Magee. Those guys could contribute this year.

Good to hear right there, I've been very pleased with the drafts the past few years hopefully this crop of draftees and UDFA's is the best yet.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    Still in love with this draft class. We appear to have this draft thingy figured out after some questionable years.
  11. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,350 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    I think you're jumping the gun a bit, but we're at least heading in the right direction. It was so incredibly bad, for so long, almost anything is a vast improvement.

Edit: I have a general rule of thumb, I'll never knock an NFL team for drafting an OL/DL in the first round, but I have to admit, that Frederick pick still has me scratching my head a bit.
  12. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,525 Messages
    1,064 Likes Received
    Why? Center was our biggest question mark and Frederick's agent told him that he should expect to go between 20 and 40. Also, the value of the "upper echelon" of lineman was obviously underrated by the media this year.
  13. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Well-Known Member

1,541 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    You realize it's just a column and they don't actually "win" anything, right?

He's a journalist. He wants to cover something that hasn't already been discussed ad nauseam this offseason. The fact that Witten is looking "as reliable as ever" -- at age 31 and a year removed from a spleen injury -- might not be surprising given his own history, but is at least noteworthy.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,686 Messages
    5,836 Likes Received
    Dez IS dominant in training camp every year. He dazzled in training camp his rookie year despite some injuries and not being in great condition.
  15. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    i think it was more of a "fun" article and just getting the names and observations out there, nothing more, nothing serious.
  16. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,626 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    When you think Cowboys offense or Cowboys in General, It's Dez or Romo...you use to think Ware and Romo, but Dez has become the best player on this Roster by a mile.

It's to easy to just give him the award