1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Archer: Maybe year too late, but right moves made

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,873 Messages
    5,487 Likes Received

By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- At the end of the disastrous 2010 season two of the Cowboys biggest problem areas were the secondary and offensive line. A year later, they remain problem areas but this time the Cowboys will do something they hope rectifies the problems.

In addition to the expected changeover in personnel in 2012, the Cowboys will have a change in assistant coaches, too, with Bill Callahan and Jerome Henderson replacing Hudson Houck and Dave Campo.

The changes had to be difficult on Jason Garrett because of his personal relationships with Houck and Campo that go back to his playing days with the Cowboys.

But at some point you have to cut the cord.

By not renewing the deals for Houck and Campo, Garrett severed ties to the teams Super Bowl teams of the 1990s and brought in two coaches with no real ties to his playing or coaching days.

It takes some guts to go with guys you know only on reputation or on the recommendations of others.

Callahan has an excellent reputation as an offensive line coach. Henderson, who played for Bill Parcells with New England and the New York Jets, was on the Cowboys’ wish last year but Cleveland blocked the move. He was the only defensive assistant to remain under new coach Pat Shurmur’s staff.

Why did these moves happen today?

Tuesday marked the end of the seven-day grace period teams have in attempting to keep coaches whose contracts had run out after the 2011 season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4689449/maybe-year-too-late-but-right-moves-made
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,136 Messages
    1,020 Likes Received
    I applaud the moves, but the 'year too late' comment has some merit.
  3. dwight

dwight Active Member

852 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    I agree. Now Dallas needs to bring some good, solid, young and hungry veterans in free agency. Then they can take BPA (Guard, Cornerback, Safety, or OLB) in the Draft.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,508 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    LOL at the idea that it takes "guts" to interview and hire the best man for the job rather than simply going with an old crony.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,421 Messages
    2,775 Likes Received
    Garrett was friends with HH and Campo. That had to have been very difficult esp considering how long they worked together.
  6. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    " some " ? more like " ALOT "..
  7. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,615 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    I know, it's kind of the definition of basic business practices.
  8. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,319 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    I suspect that Ryan wanted to wait for his guy to come free, so they decided to roll with Campo for a year rather than trying to hire a stop-gap.
  9. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chocolate Lab
    "LOL at the idea that it takes "guts" to interview and hire the best man for the job rather than simply going with an old crony."

Apparantly, you guys have worked at very different businesses than I have.
  10. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,348 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    Care to try on the Post Office today? :)
  11. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,256 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    Spare me with the year too late crap. The two we hired weren't available a year ago and now they are. It's not a year too late.
  12. 2much2soon

2much2soon Active Member

2,435 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I was rolling my eyes about those, too. Corporate America loves the phrase "we hired the 'best fit' for the team."

That is code for "we are hiring our buddy".
  13. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,498 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    On Callahan yes, but they also said they tried to get the DB coach last year but the move was blocked by Cleveland. At least they tried to change out Campo last year, and as someone else had said maybe after what they tried did not happen he was the best option for the job.