1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

are you better off than you were 4 years ago?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by cowboys#1, Oct 20, 2008.

1. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,407 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    my answer would be no. i lost 2 jobs and my 401k lost 40% (recently)

gas prices kept me from traveling and one of my friends brother was killed in iraq.

i also had a cousin who passed away because her insurance company wouldnt pay for her treatment.
    we all tried to raise money but it was too late. i suffered through some flu seasons because the copay on my health insurance got higher. i do thank the government for my school grants. other than that, last 4 years have been pretty rough. :(
  2. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep, at the new job I just started in October, I am making 27% more than I made at the job I was laid off at in July. Don't know what I was making 4 years ago, but I would say I am making at least 50% more.

I am also looking to buy or build my first home. As a matter of fact, I just spoke with a lending company to be pre-qualified for a loan. Unfortunately, even though my middle credit score is in the 750s, the best interest rate seems to be around 6.5% or so.

Now the 401K, that's another discussion.

So yes, because I kept my skills up to date, got a college degree, lived within my means, saved, worked my butt off and had a little luck, I am certainly better off.
  3. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,046 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Are you implying that Bush is to blame?
  4. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He is :D .

The Bush Presidency has been a trainwreck imo, but some of the stuff he couldn't control.
  5. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,046 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Making about 25% more at the same job.
    Bought my first home and the value hasn't dropped a bit, just gained.
    Married longtime girlfriend
    Have first child on the way
    Bought first new car (08 Mazda CX-9 - can't believe I bought a Mazda, but we love it)
    Wife is making about 35% more at the same job.
    My dad, after working for his whole life now owns his own business - be kind Obama
    Paid off all debts except home and car, working on getting car done.
    401k, it's dropped - but who's hasn't at this point
  6. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Without a doubt.
    My financial situation has grown steadily.

As for health costs, my mother was diagnosed with cancer in Oct '06 and the treatment she received was outstanding up until her passing in August of '07.

My mother did not have a pension and quite frankly her finances were meager all of her life and despite this, she received great care and comfort during her illness.

My sister had a brain tumor in '03 and was taken care of by top neurological surgeons in NY. She's not rich either, just a middle class worker.

I read/see/hear all of this doom and gloom about our health care system, yet my experiences, for myself and family and extended family have been top notch.
  7. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think this ones going to backfire on you cowboys#1.

Bush always equal to good :D .
  8. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    Yes, I am. In 2004 my annual salary was 41k. In 2007 my annual salary was 65k. It should end up about the same this year. In 2004 my 401 k was worth about 4k. Right now it is about 16k.
  9. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,915 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Did she have health insurance by any chance?

I know many people who won't go to the doctors unless it is something really bad, and sometimes, the illness could have progressed so far that it is much harder to treat. Even when there's a free health clinic, you have to show up at 7am just to be seen that day. If not, they turn you away.
  10. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Much better off... it's not even close.

Sure, my investments are down over the current year, but because of what I've been able to put in over the last 4 years, it's still much more than I had saved up in 2004.

I think it's funny that someone would blame Bush for all the bad that's happened to them over the past 4 years, or think that Obama will make it all better. :rolleyes:
  11. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,468 Messages
    3,307 Likes Received
    Yep. 4 years ago, I hadn't been too long coming out of unemployment. So finances were still out of whack. Had just gotten a perm job vs another contract job to stabilize my situation.

Now, don't know percentages, but I'm certainly making alot more money than I ever have before. Driving a relatively new vehicle due to a car accident. Did some renovations on my house. got a 2nd degree and started on a 3rd.

I think I could do better on my savings, but I have a plan to rebuild my stack.
  12. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    I am not joking. I am cashing in my 401k because I think he's going to win.
  13. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I can tell you, I don't think Bush has anything to do with my financial situation and I'm not thanking him. But I wouldn't blame him if I were facing rough times either.
  14. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Way better. Way, way better.
  15. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,666 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    Yes ..... much much better off.
  16. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That was actually what Eddie Murphy would call "a little sexual inyaendo" :D
  17. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    My sister would know more about her coverage, but she didn't have a health care plan herself, she had Medicaid. She was good about seeing the doctor, though.

Oddly enough, my mom smoked; at the same time she was diagnosed, so was my wife's 2nd cousin, a life long non-smoker, with the exact same cancer. I'm sad to say she died within 3 moths.

I can't say it was her care and she was older than my mom, because I don't know the particulars, but I can tell you, she was a millionaire.
  18. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    It went way over my head... :D
  19. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes I am, and if I wasn't, I'd be inclined to blame the guy in the mirror.
  20. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    bush has not cost me anywhere NEAR as much as clinton/reno and their attempt to tell microsoft how to run a business.