1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett is known for his arm strength.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jul 24, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Next Page1| 2Previous PageHOOVER, Ala. — There is the Mullet Toss at the Flora-Bama In Gulf Shores, Fla.
    Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett is known for his arm strength.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20100723/SPORTS/7230301/SEC-s-top-gun
    In Fayetteville, Ark., there is the Mallett toss.
    "You don't see college quarterbacks make the kind of throws that he makes," Arkansas tight end D.J. Williams said of Razorback quarterback Ryan Mallett. "He has that pro-type arm and the ability to make every throw. And Ryan puts it on the money."

Mallett, a 6-foot-7, 238-pound Tim Tebow with a more conventional delivery, stronger arm and drop-back style, could probably throw a fish as well as anyone and may be the best college quarterback in the nation in the 2010 season.

The junior from Texarkana, Ark., is the only returning quarterback from a BCS conference who finished in the top 10 in passing efficiency in 2009. He finished No. 7 in the nation and second in the Southeastern Conference in efficiency with a 152.46 rating on 225 completions in 403 attempts for 3,624 yards, 30 touchdowns and just seven interceptions, leading the Hogs to an 8-5 season after a 5-7 mark in 2008.

The only quarterbacks in the history of the SEC with better career ratings both have a Heisman Trophy and won national championships at Florida — Tebow and Danny Wuerffel. More is expected from Mallett and Arkansas this season.
    "He's a young man that's a tremendous leader l for us with amazing talent," Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino said Thursday on the second day of the SEC Media Days.

"Every Saturday when you watch the video after the game, he makes two or three throws that you say, 'Wow, nobody else might be able to make that throw in America.' We're excited with the fact that he is healthy."
    Mallett's right arm has never been unhealthy, but he broke a bone in his left foot while conditioning last February that caused him to miss spring drills. Only recently has he started throwing regularly.

"Hello, I'm Ryan Mallett," he said at the podium that was manned by Tebow a year ago. "Thanks for having me. I just want to take this time and go ahead and give ya'll — my foot is doing fine. I'm right on schedule with my rehab."

Since he is still not able to run, Mallett has been swimming like a mullet to get in game shape.

"Yeah, I feel like I'm going to try out for the Olympics in 2014," he joked. "Is that when the next one is? I'm going to give it a shot."
    The next Summer Olympics are in 2012 in London. Mallett is off the mark every now and then, but not by much.

"I missed a lot of easy throws that are really uncharacteristic last season," he said.
    At times Mallett does not know his own arm strength.
    "We actually have to tone him down a little bit and worry about him making some touch throws — not throwing the one ball all the time, not throwing the fastball all the time," said Petrino, a former Louisville head coach who molded Brian Brohm into a second round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. "Ryan can throw the ball very, very deep. He's got the big, strong arm. We're excited with the fact that he is healthy. We feel like when we step on the field two weeks from now, he'll be 100 percent and ready to go."

Mallett learned early that his arm was special.
    "I've always had a pretty strong arm since I was little," he said. "Some people call it the Mallett arm — the family arm. On my dad's side, all the brothers could throw the baseball really well. That's really where I got it from — just playing with them ever since I was little and just maintaining and developing the muscles in my arm."

Williams cannot imagine catching a harder thrown toss than those from Mallett. He struggled last season in practice to catch Mallett's ball and found some Stickum for his gloves.
    "I found some of that stuff on e-Bay, and it worked out pretty good," Williams said last year at Media Days, "until Mallett threw the ball so hard that it knocked the sticky stuff off my gloves."
    Mallett was not even at Media Days a year ago, but the transfer from Michigan dominated the Arkansas' players' conversations here after sitting out the 2008 season.

"He flicked his wrist once, and it went 60 or 70 yards in the air," defensive tackle Malcolm Sheppard said at the time. "I'm trying to avoid blocking his passes."
    Opponents would like to avoid him all together. Five times, he threw for 300 yards or more last season and twice hit the 400-yard plateau while breaking or tying 16 school records.
    "I believe he'll post big numbers again this year," said South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier, whose team allowed 329 yards to Mallett in a 33-16 loss. "He's an excellent player and obviously an NFL prospect at 6-7."
    Mallett may have been a first round pick in the NFL after last season, but he stayed at Arkansas.