1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Arlen Specter is switching parties...*Merge*

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    All over the news right now.

Specter will give the Democrats their much sought after 60th vote.
  2. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Specter Intends to Switch Political Parties
    Sources say veteran GOP Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania intends to switch parties .

AP

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Veteran GOP Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania intends to switch political parties and run in the Democratic primary in 2010, FOX News has confirmed.

"I deeply regret that I will be disappointing many friends and supporters," Specter said in prepared remarks to be delivered at a news conference on Tuesday.

"I can understand their disappointment," he continued. "I am also disappointed that so many in the party I have worked for for more than four decades do not want me to be their candidate. It is very painful on both sides."

The switch puts Democrats within two votes of a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. Democrats currently hold 56 seats in the Senate, and two independents typically vote with the party. Republicans have 41 seats, and there is one vacancy.

Specter was facing a tough primary challenge from Pat Toomey, head of the conservative Club for Growth, who almost defeated Specter in a 2004 GOP primary.

Specter was under heavy fire from conservatives for his support of President Obama's $787 stimulus bill earlier this year. Specter helped negotiate a compromise that was approved by Congress with the support of only three Senate Republicans.
  3. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Beatcha to it! :D

I'm doing fundraising for Toomey... so my job just switched from beating a RINO to beating a turncoat. :p:
  4. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's only doing this because he knew he was going to lose the upcoming GOP primary. What a despicable, unprincipled little weasel. Let's hope Dem voters aren't as gullible as the Republicans who kept re-electing this phony year after year.
  5. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah.. well you only beat me cuz I was getting the article instead of making a quick statement... BRAT.. LMAO

Can you say.. Filibuster.. URGH
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Can't say that I'm sorry to hear this. Get out and don't come back. He was nothing more then a Democrat anyhow. I would not be so sure the he even gets re-elected in the first place.
  7. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,484 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    There's not much of a difference between Republicans and Democrats anyway.
  8. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Good riddance. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out. Can he take Snow and the other pretenders with him?
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Specter has been going democrat anyways no big loss
  10. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Well, that's just great.
  11. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    [IMG]...Welcome Arlen.

Yes Lieberman's Crazy.
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    They look like they want to swap spit. Maybe a little tongue action?
  13. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    What's a little spit between fellow Democrats.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    I respect Lieberman. Have had none for Specter for a long time.
  15. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Why? They are essentially the same. One a "democrat in name only", the other a "republican in name only". Like I said. There's only one thing a conservative hates more than a liberal, and that's a RINO. It's great when the guys over on the other side support you from time to time, that makes them a great american. When its the other way around, though, that makes them a dirty turncoat.

I don't think much of Arlen Specter, but i'm not pleased to see him go. The last thing Republicans need is even LESS representation in the House or Senate. Fewer Republicans is never a good thing.
  16. burmafrd

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    That just goes to show your true colors DIAF.
    I respect Lieberman because he does not waver like your type does all the time. No matter the cost. He is not a "moderate".
    Also goes to show how poor your judgement is when you cannot tell the difference between Lieberman and SPecter. Once again no surprise.
  17. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Yeah, Lieberman never wavers. Ok. He's changed his position on several things several times. Domestic Partners, Vouchers, Affirmative Action, Waterboarding, fillibusters, the list goes on. He's a politician, of course he flip-flops. So does Arlen Specter. Yeah, Lieberman's not a moderate. Ok. He votes most of the time with democrats but breaks ranks with the party on certain issues. When Republicans do that, they are called moderates and are derided by the majority of this board. Nice try.
  18. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    The only thing I respect about Lieberman is the fact he takes national security seriously, other than that he is as left as they come.

I knew it would not be long before you showed up in this thread stating your regret that Specter joined the party that closest match his political ideology. Why is that a bad thing?

You should be rejoicing because it opens up an opportunity to get someone in his spot that carries some Republican, or dare I say it, Conservative views.
  19. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    With the state of the Republican Party, and given the public's attitude towards the Republican Party, and given the state in question, do you REALLY think a conservative republican (or a Republican at all for that matter) is going to win Specter's seat? I'd rather have him in that seat than no Republican at all and +1 Democrat.
  20. burmafrd

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    Well Diaf I lived in PA for 5 years and a conservative has a shot for sure. Remember Santorum? He was a conservative. And he won the senate seat there. So already you are shown wrong ONCE AGAIN.