1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ask Bill Bates...

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by trickblue, Aug 24, 2006.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    OK guys... Deb has been talking to Bill Bates publicist, Katherine.

She said he is out of town at the moment, but he may be willing to take some questions from us when he returns...

We have two days to submit our inquiries, so make it happen...
  2. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Mr. Bates how does it feel to know that you personally changed the nfl by them adding a spot for special team studs like your self?
  3. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,729 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Joe Avezzano tells a story of you making a really good special teams play and he came up to congratulate you and you gave him a "helmet butt". Only he wasn't wearing a helmet, naturally. Do you ever think a bout that moment and, if so, do you chuckle to yourself about it?
  4. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Boy, seems like we've been able to ask questions of every famous player and coach over the last few months. I'm going to be really impressed when you folks start bringing in the huge names like Roger Staubach or the obscure fellas like Duane Thomas.

Hey Bill, do you think because of the salary cap, a role likes yours is more difficult to accomplish in today's NFL? While coaches look for solid young backups that can also contribute to special teams, it seems like veterans such as yourself that did it on such a high level for so many years are left out in the cold these days.
  5. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    There are things in the works... be patient... ;)
  6. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bill,

One of the distinguishing things about your career is your longevity. What do you feel allowed you to make the team year after year despite never being the most talented DB on the roster? What motivated you to come back, year after year, training camp after training camp, when such a large part of your role was the relatively thankless job of special teams?
  7. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bill,

Who would you rather see coaching one of your sons - Coach Landry or Coach Jimmy Johnson? Why?
  8. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Or maybe even, Bill Parcells? ::: gasp :::
  9. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,043 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    What is your favorite memory of Tom Landry?
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,241 Messages
    4,568 Likes Received
    Have you ever thought about writing a book?

I would really think it would be interesting to read a book and hear stories you have of your time on the Dallas Cowboys.

It would be interesting from the standpoint that you were not a high profile athlete and many feel you were one of the hardest working guys in the NFL.

Thanks Mr Bates.
  11. SA_Gunslinger

SA_Gunslinger Official CZ Ea-girls hater

4,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    could you describe the emotion of finally making it to a super bowl in 1992, and having to sit out due to injury, and then finally getting on the field in super bowl 28? i still remember you as captain in that game going nuts at the coin toss screaming "we want the ball!" i always loved that.
  12. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,052 Messages
    2,964 Likes Received
    You were known as a big hitter. Is there a hit you put on someone that sticks out in your mind more than the rest? Do you have a favorite lick you put on someone?
  13. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Bill what are you doing now?
    are you planning on getting back into coaching?
    what do you think of the TO types now playing in the NFL..I realize there was some when you played but now they are everywhere
  14. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    No questions here, but I"ve always wanted to tell you Bill, in my eyes you personified what it meant to be a professional athlete. Someone who worked harder than anyone to make it in the NFL. Maybe not the fastest or strongest guy out there, but nobody had a bigger heart than you. You were the reason I wore number 40 when I played in High School. I believe you should unquestionably be in the Ring of Honor.

Thanks for all the good times.
  15. Coakleys Dad

Coakleys Dad The Re-Birth has begun.

4,835 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Bill,
    i have really enjoyed watchng you play, and you are one of my all time favorite boys. Heres my question: Being that that you got to play with two eras of cowboy greats, can you name your favorite boy from the 80's & 90's and give a favorite moment from each group... thanks. ;)
  16. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    how was it that you were able to run a 4.5 late in your career after major knee surgery? were you running downfield? or were you actually faster than you were coming out of college?
  17. dougonthebench

dougonthebench Cowboys Forever

2,403 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bill, how many "unofficial knockouts" do you have?More than Cliff Harris?
  18. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Mr. Bates, what do you think of the current Cowboys team, how do you think they will do this year. Do you see any current nfl special team players that remind you of yourself? Thank you, was great watching you!
  19. Deb

Deb Zoner

213 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bates did write a book.....and if anyone gets a chance....its really well done...one of the better books I've read by a player.. I have to wind this all up by tonite.....for Bates and Danny White.....so if you still have questions, get them in and thanks to everyone here...

[IMG]

a star in his own right, January 29, 2006
    The story of Bill Bates is a story of overcoming the odds. What I found to separate this tale from other sports stories is that Bates provides great insight into his thought-process during the events of his life. He was the thinking man's football player. He changed with the team and with the game, constantly staying one step ahead and anticipating and filling the need on the Cowboys.
    He doesn't just tell us that he overcame a serious leg injury. He tells us how he overcame it, what goals he had and what his thought process was. It was fascinating to read how he viewed things.
    Often times the best sports stories are told by players who weren't huge stars. Bates was on a team of huge stars, but he certainly had his moments to shine and he candidly shares these moments with us.
    This is an interesting book, covering and balancing his personallife with his professional life.
  20. KD

KD Active Member

2,091 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I went to his ranch for a mobile exxon type of picnic party. Does he still live on his ranch? What is he doing now a days business wise?