1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

At 6-6, Dallas Cowboys Right Where We Thought They Would Be

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Gryphon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Merge Ahead

3,389 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    by Ben Grimaldi

Last week at this time Dallas Cowboys fans were wondering what had happened to their team. The season began with such promise and now they were just beaten by the Washington Redskins and were sitting at 5-6. It seemed all was lost.

Just a week later and the Cowboys appear to have new life after beating the Philadelphia Eagles for the second time this year and then watching the Redskins beat the New York Giants on Monday night. In the NFL, it’s amazing how fast things can turn around.

The Cowboys are sitting with a 6-6 record and despite all the highs and lows of the season so far, we may have forgetten this is probably where they belong. I’m not going to bore any of you with the Cowboys win-loss record for the past decade or so, that stat has been beaten into the ground. We all know the team has been average recently, and would you look at that, their record is proving it again this year.

I’m not saying the Dallas Cowboys can’t make a playoff run this season, they certainly have the ability to do so. What I am saying is despite all of Jerry Jones‘ hype and after the opening night win gave us all so much promise, the Dallas Cowboys record is what everyone thought it would be.

Before the season began, everyone threw out predictions of what the Cowboys record would be and most prognosticators had Dallas right around 8-8. There were a few people who went a few games in either direction but for the most part finishing at .500 was the consensus. I had them at 9-7 before the year began.

So why all the fuss about the state of the Cowboys when they were 5-6 and all the optimism now when they are 6-6? If we’ve learned anything about this Cowboys team in 2012, it’s that we can’t expect too much.

Rest of article at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/...we-thought-they-would-be/?FYQTkHEoJMsx5Krc.99
  2. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

8,892 Messages
    868 Likes Received
    They are who we thought they were, and we are gonna let them off the hook. ;)
  3. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Yep. Some of us will. :bang2:
  4. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,835 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    First we try to compare Romo to Danny White (who went to 3 consecutive NFC championship games) then we tried to compare Romo to McNabb who went to 4 NFC championship games and a Super Bowl, then to Brees who won a Super Bowl, then to Eli who's won multiple super bowls, now to RGIII.

When you're good, you don't create these types of threads trying to plead his case, case is closed.
  5. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,925 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Hopefully the "new life" gained after beating the hapless Eagles will still be evident after the Cincy game this weekend.
  6. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,828 Messages
    1,214 Likes Received
    Did you read the article? No.

The article is about the TEAM not QB's. :rolleyes:
  7. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,676 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    if you wanna crown them? then crown their _ _ _
  8. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,853 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Yeah yeah yeah......

Romo and the cowboys suck, gripe gripe gripe, whine whine whine.

Look cut the act....stop trying to be something you are not. You don't go from homer to realist, that fast.

You're an actor homie.
  9. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    There is much hate in you young Skywalker
  10. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Sweet argument. Valid points. Lesson learned. Class complete.

So...
    Trent Dilfer > Warren Moon
    Jeff Hostetler > Fran Tarkenton
    Jim Plunkett > Dan Marino
    Am I doin' it right?

I like the way you decimate the the OP then polish him off with the catch phrase "Case is Closed"
    Now prop your feet up, fire up that stogie and give yourself the much deserved kudos of yet another innerwebz victory.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,188 Messages
    1,315 Likes Received
    love how someone always claims their opinions are FACTS. Usually accompanied by something like 'case is closed'
  12. Switz

Switz Member

806 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The flaw in your counter point is all the players above have lead their teams thru the playoffs to a superbowl win or lose that's an accomplishment
  13. Switz

Switz Member

806 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The flaw in your counter point is all the players except moon above have lead their teams thru the playoffs to a superbowl win or lose that's an accomplishment
  14. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,424 Messages
    1,474 Likes Received
    Lead is a chemical element. Led is the past participle of lead.
  15. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,319 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    I think optimism took a shot to the arm throughout the fanbase after opening night, we actually looked like a contender in that game. Unfortunately, we haven't played like that since and it's been disappointing. The injuries on defense have obviously hurt us, as that unit was playing great up until then.

We are what we are, but we still have a chance to turn it around. I'm not gonna give up on the season just yet... not when we're only 1 game out of this thing. The NFL is a crazy league.
  16. Switz

Switz Member

806 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I suck at typing on my phone
  17. Switz

Switz Member

806 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Edit my mistake
  18. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

1,662 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    He won't do it, he only attacked your grammar mistake because you said something negative about the Cowboys or their players. This is what he does.
  19. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,163 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    8-8 was my guess. Looking at the schedule before the season started and the lack of work Dallas did addressing the offensive line, I figured they'd be lucky to win 8. I admit that I bought into the early Giants win a little too much and got my hopes up. Before the season I figured it would be a team with an improved defense and an offense that struggled to run the ball and protect the QB behind a poor offensive line. It turned out about like I expected but that doesn't make it any less disappointing.

That said, they're fixable issues. Either through free-agency or the draft Dallas has got to hit on a couple of offensive linemen, a wide out, probably a RB, and some depth along the defensive line.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,188 Messages
    1,315 Likes Received
    anyone who took one look at our O line that thought we would be anything beyond at best maybe 9-7 or 10-6 was either an ostrich or an idiot.

ONLY if our D had turned into a monster would it have been any better then that.

And how likely was that to happen?