1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

At 92, a Bandit to Hollywood but a Hero to Soldiers

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Awesome story.

=====================================

MASSAPEQUA, N.Y. — One of the world’s most prolific bootleggers of Hollywood DVDs loves his morning farina. He has spent eight years churning out hundreds of thousands of copies of “The Hangover,” “Gran Torino” and other first-run movies from his small Long Island apartment to ship overseas.

“Big Hy” — his handle among many loyal customers — would almost certainly be cast as Hollywood Enemy No. 1 but for a few details. He is actually Hyman Strachman, a 92-year-old, 5-foot-5 World War II veteran trying to stay busy after the death of his wife. And he has sent every one of his copied DVDs, almost 4,000 boxes of them to date, free to American soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

With the United States military presence in those regions dwindling, Big Hy Strachman will live on in many soldiers’ hearts as one of the war’s more shadowy heroes.

“It’s not the right thing to do, but I did it,” Mr. Strachman said, acknowledging that his actions violated copyright law.

Complete Story
  2. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    The production companies should offer this service in the first place. I'd like to see them try and pursue this in court to convict this man. Good for him.
  3. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,283 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    If he cuts out the annoying ad's in the front he is a National Hero.