1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Audio: Audio: Kirwan has a pretty good idea for Jason Garrett

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dcfanatic, Sep 18, 2010.

1. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kirwan has a pretty good idea for Jason Garrett

Right at the end of this clip Sirius Radio's Pat Kirwan has an idea that I like a whole lot...

Pat Kirwan has a idea for Jason Garrett

Sounds good to me. Head up to the line of scrimmage and snap the ball. Just get it going again and again. No time to sit and think for the defense and no time to come up with a false start for someone on the Cowboys offense.

This might even get this offense into some rhythm which has been a word being thrown around these days. And we aren't throwing this word around in a good way. Right now this unit resembles a 12 cylinder race car that's running on 9, 10 or 11 cylinders at best.

Let's Go Cowboys!
  2. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,403 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    So basically a 2 minute offense with a huddle ?

You don't think after 5 plays like that the defense would just jump the snap ?

Snap count is an ADVANTAGE for the offense.

That would probably be a miserable experiment.
  3. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, because there have been so many more instances where Romo draws the defense offsides compared to someone on the Cowboys offense jumping offsides.

I would wager Witten alone has more False starts over the last five seasons than Romo has instances where he used his cadence to draw a five yard penalty on the defense.
  4. DallasKnight

DallasKnight New Member

639 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But you also have to realize that with the offense running constantly on the first sound, the defenses will get off the ball quicker as well... they'll get to realizing that the snap count is on one... over and over... so they'll get in to the backfield quicker...

The snap count isn't just to get them offsides... it's so they don't get a jump on the ball, ON THE SNAP... they don't know when it's going to be snapped so they are a half a heart beat behind the O-line... Well, that's the way it's supposed to work anyway.
  5. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,403 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Are you saying Witten is a liability, or Romo has a pitiful cadence ?
  6. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No one is saying to do this on every snap here.

Maybe one drive. Just to change it up a bit. Surprise the D.
  7. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am saying Witten jumps offsides way too much and that the next time Romo draws the defense offsides with a hard count it will be his first time.
  8. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,272 Messages
    1,524 Likes Received
    He's trying to get the D to show what they're doing to help the line. Not necessarily draw them offsides. And to that he does it perfectly.
  9. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Snap the ball w/out getting any read on the defense whatsoever.

Riiiiight. :eek:

Maybe as a surprise tactic every once in awhile, but that's no way to run an offense.
  10. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Did you listen to the audio?
  11. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cool. So their defense is now dictating what we do on offense.

And last time I checked the defensive front seven can move around as much as they want presnap.

Correct?

The offense can't.
  12. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would like to see us go no huddle.
  13. SDCowboy85

15,272 Messages
    1,524 Likes Received
    I do love when we go no huddle. We seem to always do well in it.
  14. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,882 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    That's nothing new.

Hell, isn't it always the excuse the ginger offers when he abandons the run?
  15. SDCowboy85

15,272 Messages
    1,524 Likes Received
    Not at all. Romo is pointing out to our line where any blitz is coming from, not that it does any good with this line.
  16. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is part of why I like this idea as a change of pace.

No thinking.

Get to the line and first sound everyone starts moving forward. Of course this means it's mostly running plays, but then you run a play action from it and really catch them off guard.
  17. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I like the idea of simplifying things a little. But I don't know if you need to do too much of the 1st sound deal. If you go 1st sound 3 out of 4 plays, you still get most of the benefit and still keep the defense honest.

I'm more concerned with limiting the audibles call at the LOS. That's what I think can create some problems/confusion.

I'd also like to see a little simplification of the passing game. Give Roy and Dez fewer option routes, or stuff they and Romo have to both read correctly on the fly.

Lets say you have a 4 route pass play called with Roy, Dez, Austin and Witten running routes. Let Austin and Witten (who Tony has the best chemistry with and who can be trusted) get the option routes.

Let Dez and Roy run fixed routes regardless of what the defense shows/does. This way Romo knows where they'll be and have more confidence to go to them when he knows it makes sense.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,850 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    I have actually thought about this during a lot of games.

I don't mind all the audibling and motioning at home but when you're on the road it's better to simplify sometimes.
  19. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,781 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Romo seems to play better when they are in a faster paced offense. I would have no issue with Dallas doing the hurry up on a handful of offensive drives.
  20. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Garrett does not have an "attack the defense" philosophy, so this will never happen. He'll just keep doing the usual "take what the defense gives us" and will get baited over and over again into doing what the defense wants.