1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Awesome write-up on Roger Staubach

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by CowboyPrincess, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Benched

444 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is there anything else I should factor in?

Roger was great but Troy outpassed him in every statistical category and won 3 superbowls to boot. You cant discount that.
  2. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Roger hit the Trifecta (sp?)

Heisman Trophy
    Hall of Fame
    Ring of Honor
  3. fiveandcounting

fiveandcounting New Member

1,592 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    At the company headquarters in Dallas, one wall of Staubach’s modest office is covered with pictures of his children and grandchildren. On another wall are autographed pictures of Staubach with two presidents, both named George Bush.

It was so good, why did this piece have to end on such a sour note
  4. fiveandcounting

fiveandcounting New Member

1,592 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Im pretty sure it was Herbert Scott, I know it was to an offensive lineman and got a flag
  5. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It ended showing how modest he was. He didn't have a wall full of his glory days with newspaper clippings, trophies, head shots, things with his autograph on it... he had a few autographs he got from two presidents that he met that were from Texas and family photo's. It showed that he was a family man and proud American - Captain America. The things he found important above anything else... Not just a QB - doesn't sound sour to me
  6. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can.. I watched them both

Different game, different time

Side by side and playing the same game at the same time.. Roger would beat Troy

When Roger played they didn't have the uniform protection that Troy had - pads and helmet. Roger didn't have rules that Troy had to protect him - the game were rougher on QB's back then, there were few rules to protect the QB, where there are many now in place to keep the QB safe. If Roger had the exact benefits that Troy had, Roger would clean Troy's clock. Don't get me wrong, I think Troy was great, but his generation of QBs had it much easier than Roger, Johnny Unitas, Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, Fran Tarkenton and others before them of the baby/toddler years of the NFL. They got beat up on the field. They were targets for injury in very light gear by todays standards. Technology and officiating in the NFL has grown tremendously since those days. I honestly think Roger would beat Troy in either era

EDIT-
    LOL... I just noticed that this was my 2000th post... awesome! It was about how I thought my favorite Cowboy of all time was the greatest... couldn't pick a better subject...:D
  7. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,095 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    Herb Scott. And yes, it did get a flag. That was Roger's last game, the playoff tilt with the Rams. The Rams went on to lose to the Steelers in the Super Bowl, and Roger retired in January or February of the next year (79 or 80). I remember watching his retirement speech on tv and thinking that Dallas would never be the same. Danny White did his best, but it took a long time to get to Troy. Went through Hogeboom, Pueller, Sweeney, and guys like Reggie Collier to get to Troy. Kind of like what we are doing now. Funny, how things cycle in the NFL. Henson could be the next Troy, or the next Hogeboom. I guess that is why we all watch, to see who is right.... ;) Enjoy the ride fellows, not every franchise gets to go on it....ask a Cardinals or Chargers fan about it...imagine waiting to find the next Jim Hart?
  8. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I may be wrong but I think Roger retired in March. I remember it happening around my birthday and I was so depressed because I was never ever gonna get the chance to see him play in person. I think Cliff Harris retired about that time too
  9. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,605 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Chargers had Dan Fouts. Dan would probably beat out all our current QB's right now ...

:fight:
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,334 Messages
    723 Likes Received

Great post.

Roger did finish with a higher quarterback rating than Troy as far as statistics. 83.4 for Staubach and 81.6 for Aikman
  11. DallasCowpoke111

DallasCowpoke111 Benched

2,242 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not to be nit-picky, but that was 12/16/79, and Roger's last reg-season game.
  12. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I went back and checked the article. It's their typo, not mine...They inserted the game info in the ( ). But they are about to find out about it...
  13. DallasCowpoke111

DallasCowpoke111 Benched

2,242 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    rabble-rouser!
  14. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wonder if the typo makes it even more valuable of a collectors addition
  15. OLDSCHOOL

OLDSCHOOL New Member

242 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Read my post again, please. slower this time and try harder to comprehend what it says. And if you were born then or old enough to know football, then replay the games that you can remember Roger playing in, in your head.

He was not protected as Troy was, by the rules, he flat out was better than Troy all the way around. Troy could only dream of doing the things Roger did on the field.

As I said before, stats does not tell the whole picture, they are just numbers. Troy could not have lead the teams that Roger was leading. Ant the teams that Troy won Superbowls with, Roger would have won at least 6
  16. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well it looks like this thread is dying now, so I'm bumping it and hoping that I can get a mods attention so that it will be moved to the History zone so it will be where Roger is now... in Cowboys History

I'll just end this by saying...
    Thank you Roger for all the great memories and for making me and thousands of others the ever faithful fans that we are today.

GO COWBOYS!!!
  17. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I might have to add this great article to my archive site....

Aikman > Staubach....

You will never ever hear anybody from Dallas make that comment....

Staubach was superior to Aikman in every category besides Accuracy.

Even more telling, Staubach got better with age and his last year he threw 27 Touchdowns and 11 Interceptions. He retired because of a concussion he suffered. One doctor told him he needed too another said he could still play, so he went with the advice of the former.

Peace

- Mike G.
  18. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,566 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Do you mean the quadfecta??

Heisman Trophy
    Super Bowl MVP
    Hall of Fame
    Ring of Honor

Who else in the history of the NFL can claim the first three?? I can probably count them on one hand...
  19. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I stand corrected. :)
  20. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Troy and Roger definitely deserve props.