1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bad call in Super Bowl

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

936 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    This bad call didn't make a difference in the outcome of the game, of course. The Seahawks certainly earned their championship. However, it was a bad call nonetheless. When Russell Wilson was out of the pocket and being chased by defenders, he threw a shuffle pass to no one to avoid a sack. However, the ball didn't get to the line of scrimmage. By rule that's intentional grounding. The announcers were saying that the refs must have thought the ball got close enough. However, that's not the rule. By rule the ball has to get back at least to the line of scrimmage or it's grounding. Flag should have been thrown.
  2. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,631 Messages
    1,552 Likes Received
    So how do you explain it when they throw at the feet of their RB on a busted screen?
    GloryDaysRBack likes this.
  3. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,371 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    Are you sure that's the rule? It isn't grounding when a screen pass is thrown into the dirt.
  4. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,793 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Yay!!!

bad Call!!!

Woot! woot!
    CowboysYanksLakers likes this.
  5. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    1,010 Likes Received
    The backup TE is who he was trying to shovel the ball to. Watch the replay
    CowboysLegend365 likes this.
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,340 Messages
    798 Likes Received
    The announcers said it got close enough to a receiver.
  7. CyberB0b

3,631 Messages
    1,552 Likes Received
    You're wrong:

1. Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.
    2. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).
    It is either, or.
  8. Reverend Conehead

936 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    If there's a receiver in the area, it's not grounding, but there was no receiver in the area.
  9. Reverend Conehead

936 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    I may have misunderstood. I thought they were saying it was close enough to the line of scrimmage. I thought, "Wait a minute. The rule doesn't say it has to get close enough. It says it has to get there."
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,612 Messages
    2,002 Likes Received
    If it's a forward pass and thrown very near an elgible receiver, than it's ok.
    In the play in question, there was no receiver in the vicinity.
  11. CyberB0b

3,631 Messages
    1,552 Likes Received
    Yes, there was
  12. CyberB0b

3,631 Messages
    1,552 Likes Received
    Anyone know what part of the game it was? I will post a screenshot.
  13. Reverend Conehead

936 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    I don't remember seeing a receiver there, but if there was one, then it wasn't a bad call. The rule doesn't require that it be a good pass, only that a receiver be there.
  14. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,178 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    If it looks like he was trying to get the ball to a receiver they are not gonna call it
  15. CyberB0b

3,631 Messages
    1,552 Likes Received
    So why did you make this thread???
  16. Reverend Conehead

936 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    Because I thought it was a bad call. It sounded like the announcer was saying it the ref can make a judgment call if the ball comes close enough to the line of scrimmage, but that's not the rule. The rule says it has to get there, not come close to it.
  17. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

728 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    I don't really remember many bad calls, or non calls last night. I actually though Wilson got the first down, early on, when Carrol threw the review flag, but it wasn't really obvious enough to complain about.
  18. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,001 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    Announcers said the ball might be close enough to the TE.

I know the ball didn't make it to the blue line (LOS) so I thought it was a penalty for sure. Then I saw the receiver.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,534 Messages
    4,111 Likes Received
    It has to go over the line IF they QB is out of the pocket AND there is no receiver in the area.

If there is a receiver in the area, it does not have to cross the line. Think about how many times a pass to a RB is not completed while the RB is still behind the line.

When the announcers said is was close, they were referring to the receiver, not the line.
  20. SSWilliams31

SSWilliams31 Member

49 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    There was a TE dragging a cross