1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ban on loud TV commercials takes effect today

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,310 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Woot! I don't know how many times I've dosed off while watching TV on the couch or something only to be rudely awakened by some stupid loud commercial.

:dance:

=======================================

Ban on loud TV commercials takes effect today

Representing what may be the most popular act of Congress since the "Do Not Call" list, a law prohibiting broadcasters from cranking up the volume on TV commercials takes effect today.

Loud commercials have been the No. 1 complaint logged by the FCC over the past decade.

Legislation mandating that broadcasters deliver advertisements at a volume no higher than the programming in which it airs sailed through Congress in 2010 - unanimously in the Senate - and was signed into law by President Obama. It was called the CALM Act, or Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act. The FCC then drafted implementation rules and gave broadcasters until today to comply.

Complete Story
  2. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,689 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Love it. You'd think that the people making the commercials would realize they are being obnoxious.

Now can they make the Do Not Call list a little more effective. I still get BS calls on my cell phone. Around 4 or 5 a week.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,310 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Pop ads and video ads before you can watch a video is annoying too, but the entire point is to get your to watch / see it.

As for the Do Not Call list, all you have to do is report them. I've reported a lot of people. The more I report, the less they call. :)
  4. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's about damn time. I thought this was going to happen a year ago.
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,689 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Ohhh, I did not know that! Thank you! I've got a bunch to report right now.

Pop up ads are the worst, especially when they pop up behind your browser. I can somewhat deal with the "commercial" type ads especially when they give you the option to skip them after 5-10 seconds.
  6. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,523 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I could've sworn this was banned several years ago. It seems to me they were adhearing excluding the last couple of years?

They need one channel for commercials. Not 2, not 10. One. If you want to watch them, tune in.

They're ruining sports.
  7. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Yessssssss!!!!!!
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,787 Messages
    1,667 Likes Received
    I have never believed that obnoxious or annoying commercials get people to buy the products. Actually I have always doubted that most advertizements that are not for sales, etc do very little to get people to buy that product.
  9. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,429 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    I read this a.m. the law was passed a year ago. There was a year long "grace-period" for it to be implemented, and today was the day that was up.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I HAVE noticed a difference today.
  10. Aussie Cowboy

Aussie Cowboy Member

96 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I wish they would bring that in here.

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received
    Most modern tv's have a feature that mitigates this already, but I guess a law doesn't hurt.

They should amend it to also ban all radio ads and shows from using emergency sound effects like sirens and horns.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    They should just ban all commercials. Period.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,859 Messages
    4,426 Likes Received
    Please keep on topic about loud TV commercials and leave the political stuff out. Thanks.
  14. jobberone

38,859 Messages
    4,426 Likes Received
    I told my wife the other day I wanted a new TV just so I could get one that kept every channel the same volume and cut out the loud commercials. I fall asleep with my TV on and I keep the volume down but still occasionally get awakened by it blaring because of loud commercials or certain scenes.
  15. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,026 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    I wonder how well that would work for movies and TV shows with huge volume ranges. I hate movies that have quiet dialogue and then blast you with music a half second later.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,494 Messages
    9,648 Likes Received
  17. jobberone

38,859 Messages
    4,426 Likes Received
    Those are tuff for me as I'm so hard of hearing I can't hear the dialogue then the fight scenes yada are way too loud. If you have a balanced audio then you can cut it way down and still hear. But some programs are a problem.