1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Barack Obama: 'the change we need is coming'

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by zrinkill, Aug 29, 2008.

1. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,024 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    Barack Obama last night sought decisively to dispel the lingering fears around his historically-charged presidential run, telling America that the "greatest risk we can take" would be to continue the politics of the past that had kept Democrats out of the White House for eight years.

An exultant crowd of more than 75,000 people packed into a sports stadium, with millions more watching across the world, to witness him accept the Democratic nomination.

"We are better than these last eight years, we are a better country than this," Mr Obama declared, as he predicted November's election would be a defining moment when voters "restore America's promise" by rising up "to insist on new ideas and new leadership, a new politics for a new time".

He strode out on the stage at the mile high Invesco Stadium on the 45th anniversary of the "I Have A Dream"civil rights speech delivered by Martin Luther King, knowing that his bid to be the America's first black president remains a source of both inspiration and suspicion.

"I get it," said Mr Obama, "I realize that I am not the likeliest candidate for this office. I don't fit the typical pedigree, and I haven't spent my career in the halls of Washington.

"But I stand before you tonight because all across America something is stirring."

It was the same spirit, he said, that in 1963 had led Dr King to reject fear and frustration to tell a crowd "of every creed and colour, from every walk of life" that in America, "our destiny is inextricably linked - that together, our dreams can be one".

At the end of a Democratic convention in which his party has put on a carefully-crafted public display of unity, he went out of his way to praise both Hillary Clinton - with whom he had fought an epic battle for the nomination and her husband, Bill,the former president whose White House record has sometimes been slighted by Mr Obama.

The bulk of his speech, however, was devoted to addressing those voters who still think his exotic roots are too different, his politics too elitist or his experience too thin to be president.

He linked his own extraordinary inter-racial and international family background to the direct experience of ordinary Americans struggling with daily lives. In the faces of soldiers returning from Iraq he saw that of his grandfather who had marched with Patton's army, while the students struggling to get through college reminded him of his mother who did the same while bringing up two children on food stamps.

"These are my heroes. Theirs are the stories that shaped me. And it is on their behalf that I intend to win this election and keep our promise alive as President of the United States," he said

While voters have become used to Mr Obama's eloquence, last night they were also shown a glimpse of anger. "Tonight, I say to the American people, to Democrats and Republicans and Independents across this great land enough! This moment - this election - is our chance to keep, in the 21st century, the American promise alive."

Acknowledging that some people regarded his rhetoric about hope and change as mere 'happy talk', Mr Obama gave his primetime audience a detailed tour of his programme. He even dared to be boring as he turned from health, education, energy and foreign policy to a discussion on tax codes.

The chief target of his speech last night was, inevitably, John McCain, with Mr Obama saying the same Republicans responsible for two terms of George Bush and Dick Cheney would, at their convention next week, "ask this country for a third".

Despite Mr McCain's claim to be a maverick, Mr Obama said the Republican nominee had voted to back President Bush ninety percent of the time. "I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to take a ten percent chance on change," added Mr Obama to one of many ovations.

The Illinois Senator denounced attacks on his patriotism by reprising a line he used four years when he first burst on to the national stage with a speech at the last Democratic convention.

"The men and women who serve in our battlefields may be Democrats and Republicans and Independents, but they have fought together and bled together and some died together under the same proud flag," he said.

"They have not served a Red America or a Blue America - they have served the United States of America. So I've got news for you, John McCain. We all put our country first."

But Mr Obama also landed his own low blows, describing Mr McCain - who is 72 today - as subscribing to an "old, discredited Republican philosophy". Later, in criticising his opponent's stubborn refusal to end the Iraq war, he said: "We need a President who can face the threats of the future, not keep grasping at the ideas of the past."

Mr McCain last night put out a cheeky TV advert congratulating Mr Obama on a job "well done." His campaign said it had stopped any leak of their vice-presidential pick", who will be unveiled today, in deference to the Democratic nominee's big moment

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/ne...article4630955.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

:)
  2. zrinkill

33,024 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    No comments? I thought this would be a popular thread.
  3. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,639 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    This thread has about as much substance as Obama
  4. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    " I get it... I'm not the likeliest candidate... I don't look like them... haven't been in Washington forever."

Srsly.

Quit repeating it.

We get it.

You're black.

Congrats.
  5. vabchlamey

vabchlamey New Member

1 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually Obama is not black, but rather the result of a union of a white mother and an Arab. Yet he lays no claim to that heritage. Interestin
  6. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He was more right than he could have imagined... the change we need IS coming... as a matter of fact, it was on a plane from Alaska as he was giving his speech! :D

[IMG]
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    For me it is simple, he has no experience be it financially or in matter of foreign affairs. If he was to apply for a job as a CEO of a company chances are he would not be hired because he lacks any real experience yet some want him to become the most powerful man in the world?
  8. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received

McCain ain't exactly the beacon of experience in foreign affairs either; from the executive level. He's of course been in the senate and done some stuff there, but not like, say, Bill Richardson who actually was an ambassador and has "real" foreign policy experience.

Financially? I don't agree with Obama-onomics... but McCain has admitted he doesn't really understand the economy either.

So...
  9. Doomsday101

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    McCain experiace is 25 years greater than that of Obama in both financially as well as foreign affairs where McCain has served as Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. So please you want to compare the 2 have at it. Obama is a 1st term senator who has been running for the White House since he has arrived in DC he has not done Jack in his life. Hell I may not like Hillary but at least even she had some track record to look at
  10. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    ENOUGH!​

[IMG]
  11. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received

OK. But McCain has admitted he doesn't understand the economy. Even with 25 years of experience as a Senator. What good is experience in the matter, if you don't understand it? I mean.... let's say I flunked a class, in say biology. After I got done with the class, can I say I have "biology" experience? Sure, I guess. But in reality, its pretty clear I wouldn't have any real, sound knowledge on the subject. McCain admitted he doesn't understand the economy. That is bad.

Equally as bad as Obama-nomics.

McCain has more experience being a Senator than Obama.

yay.

Consider me underwhelmed by either of them.
  12. Doomsday101

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    I'm only stating a fact 1 has experience the other has not done jack, he is a freshman senator who has not even served 1 full term and has spent much of that time running for President. That is just the truth deal with it or not
  13. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree..enough...I've never seen a candidate so full of dung in all my years of watching and studying politics

he's a hardcore liberal who will tax and spend at a level not before seen in our country. He's got ties to some of the most radical, senseless, tasteless people in our country.

Hopefully the majority of people will see him for the fraud that he is on election day.

David
  14. zrinkill

33,024 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    Finally I found the Change he has been talking about.

[IMG]
  15. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Are you sure he is black? My understanding is his father was Arab, not black and his mom is white. How does that equal black? I know he likes for everyone to believe he is black. Not really sure why he is embarrassed of his heritage.
  16. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,537 Messages
    978 Likes Received
    This is his dad

[IMG]

His family are Muslim. That doesn't make him an "Arab"
  17. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

dude....
  18. Chinfu

Chinfu Member

195 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Thank you for saving me the effort. Seriously do people even read for themselves anymore?
  19. Chinfu

Chinfu Member

195 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Haha!
  20. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Gotcha...stupid on my part. Something I had heard. Thanks for clarifying. Never afraid to admit when am wrong.