1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Barack Obama to appear on SNL. Lorne Michaels contributes $4600 to his campaign.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 21, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,679 Messages
    6,418 Likes Received
    Link from a link from link

Martin Eisenstadt’s Blog
    because freedom isn’t free

20th, 2008 . by Marty
    In the wake of Sarah Palin’s star-confirming appearance on SNL, it may come as a surprise to learn that Lorne Michaels recently contributed $4600 to Barack Obama’s campaign, and NBC CEO Jeffrey Immelt contributed $10,000 to Joe Biden’s Delaware Democratic State Committee.

Of course, some of you loyal readers will say, “But Marty, you told us that Lorne Michaels was in the tank for McCain.” And indeed, you may remember that I pointed out on my post on Sept. 10, that Lorne Michaels and NBC CEO Jeffrey Immelt were early John McCain supporters. But apparently they read my post, too, because the Obama/Biden contributions were posted shortly after the summer FEC reporting period. Maybe Michaels just knew that McCain and whoever he picked as veep would be easier to mock than Mitt Romney?

I heard from one of Sarah’s aides this morning that at the obligatory SNL after party, a slightly affected Seth Meyers blurted out something to the effect of “…yeah, but just wait til you see what we have cooked up for Obama’s appearance right before the election.” You may remember that Obama “canceled” his appearance on the show on opening night because of Hurricane Ike. But sources now say that it could have been a ploy cooked up by Lorne Michaels and David Axelrod to save Obama for the November 1st show… right before the election.

[IMG]

From having worked with Rudy Giuliani, I learned that being mocked on SNL is the best thing that can happen to a politician, and appearing on the show is even better. There’s a reason Sarah’s been enjoying the consistently best attended rallies of this election cycle. SNL and Tina Fey have kept the focus on her. Believe me: Image consultants who weighed in when the Senator was picking his VP choice said that Sarah should ditch the Tina Fey glasses and drop the beehive do. But one call to his supposed friend Lorne Michaels and John was convinced that the bigger the comparison between the two women, the better it would be for both the campaign and SNL in the long run. I’m told that in his trademark dry wit, Michaels even suggested to Tina Fey that she get a breast job, just so she’d look more like Governor Palin. Short of that, the comparison is still uncanny.

Posted in Uncategorized |

http://www.eisenstadtgroup.com/2008...ne-michaels-contributes-4600-to-his-campaign/
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Anyone wanna wager on next week outdoing last week?
  3. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,665 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    Of course he is gonna go on SNL... thats a no brainer.

Its the smart move.
  4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,979 Messages
    260 Likes Received
    Lorne Michaels sounds like kind of an ***-hat.
  5. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,125 Messages
    2,658 Likes Received
    Obama on Saturday night before the election.............I think ratings will pass Palin's.
  6. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think the ratings will be higher. Last week people tuned in to see Tina Fey (who hates Palin) vs Sara Palin, which didn't happen. I bet if they knew a head of time that Tina was going to walk off and not share the stage with Palin, the ratings wouldn't have been so high.

Obama isn't so controversial on SNL so I don't think his appearance will create a new ratings high.

JMO
  7. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

4,648 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really don't like that hes doing this. I don't think its appropriate with Palin either. This is politics, and there are serious issues at stake. Hope he withdraws or this is a rumor.

Also, SNL isn't funny anymore.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,632 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    I agree. Add in that Palin does not do interviews. There is coverage of her speeches, but not much of anything else. You can see Obama and McCain every day doing speeches and interviews. You really hardly ever see Palin, so when the opportunity came to see her do anything outside of a stump speech people are going to take it.