1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Barron or Decastro

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Teague31, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,329 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    If we stay at 14, I really think it is down to these two (Cox will be long gone- I am seeing mocks that have him going as high as #6). The debate between Barron and Decastro is fascinating. The arguments seem to be as follows:

1. There is the Hos school of thought that says you take Decastro. The theory being that if you can dominate on one side of the ball you can mask problems on the other side. Adding Decastro to Tyron gives you two young studs that will be dominant for a decade. You help keep Romo healthy in his final years and hopefully improve your run game inside the 20. Dude is about as safe a pick as you can have.

2. The other side argues that our offense was plenty good last year as it was and left the field with the lead on numerous occasions only to see our defense (particularly our secondary) cough it up (see the first gints game). Given that our safety position has been a wasteland for going on 10 years, Barron should be the pick. He comes from Saban, is a captain on the field and would start from day 1. Along with Carr, it turns our secondary from a weakness to a strength in one offseason.

There you have it. If you pick at 14, who do you take?
  2. canters

canters Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Both are going to be players in the NFL.

OGs are avaialable in round 2-I say take Barron if he is there in round one and then take a OG later.
  3. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,016 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    If we can get the kid from Midwestern Amini Silatolu in the second then I am fine with Barron. Otherwise I like the option of gathering some more 2nd-4th rd selections. I do agree with Hos we can have the offense fixed this year with a good draft. We will be a handful with a great OLine and our skill players. Remember this does not preclude getting some help on the D side as this draft is very deep.
  4. Everson24

Everson24 Well-Known Member

1,110 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I say take DeCastro. If the scouts are right and he is the best guard to come out in a decade, then you are getting a prerenial Pro Bowl player and maybe even Hall of Fame type player. It seems that there are Barren type safetys in every draft. I agree with Hostile's case for the O-line 100%. A dominant line will help our defense more than most people realize. A dominant O-line also maximizes the talent you have at WR, TE and RB. All positions that are already highly paid.

Another thought that I have is this: If your head coach is an offensive minded coach and you have a potentially short term defensive coordinator, invest the more premium picks to that side of the ball. As long as Garrett is head coach we will be running the same type offense for years to come. Who knows what defense we will be running three years from now. We have changed defensive coordinators/schemes six times now since 2003. How can our scouts have any idea if the player they draft this year will fit a new scheme in a couple of years? One good year from our defense and Rob Ryan will be moving to another team and we are starting all over again. Draft DeCastro if he is there and build your defense with free agents and later round picks.
  5. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,218 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I go with Barron. I believe Livings/Bearadeu/Arkin/Nagy will solidify the guard positions.

We averaged 23 points last year and will be improved just by having those 4 guys in our system for a whole off season.

Our defense is trash. Both Mayock and Casserly have Barron as a top 10 player in this draft. So I don't believe the thought that there are "barron type safteties" in every draft. If that's the case, then their are "DeCastro" type guards in every draft.

We can win with the offense as it stands today. We can't win with this defense.

Give me:

Barron
    Reyes
    Blake

in the 1st 3 rounds and I would be inclined to put us in the NFC Championship game this year.
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,677 Messages
    1,889 Likes Received
    Im not thrilled about getting a Safety like Barron in the 1st. I'd like for him to be dominant at something other than just solid at everything.

Plus with the guys we already have in place id rather have an Earl Thomas type of safety instead of another guy that fits the mold of a SS.

With that said I think this draft is deep at guard and very shallow at Safety so i'll go with Barron.
  7. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Between the two I would go ahead and continue solidifying the OL with DeCastro
  8. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Decastro and its not even close. I'm not even a big proponent of taking Decastro. However, Decastro is a far better player than Barron. You stick to the board on this one and take Decastro.
  9. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,198 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    I like Barron a lot, but I wouldn't even consider him over DeCastro. Are we drafting the best player available? If so it's not possible to pass DeCastro at 14. I've got him in the top 10 players available in this draft and rate him above Cox and Coples. I'd be thrilled with Barron and I believe he's a top 15 player, but he's not as valuable as DeCastro. I draft DeCastro at 14, move him to center (yes center) day one, and go defense for most of the remaining draft. There will be pass rusher like Curry and Irvin available in later rounds.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,677 Messages
    1,889 Likes Received

As good as Decastro is he still played in a weak defensive conference so he is going to look more dominant.

Barron was the team captain of the national championship defense and played for Nick Saban.

Plus Decastro is a guard and i'd rather have a combo of Barron and someone like Brandon Brooks than any Decastro / Safety combo
  11. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,301 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Barron, I like DeCastro but I like to look at the depth per position.
    OG is deep this year. I can still get Brooks, Zeitler, or Silatolu at 45, those 3 are graded alot closer to DeCastro than any safety is to Barron.

Cox and Barron are going to be the targets at 14 and if both are gone by 14 then I think they try and trade back a few spots to get Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, or I hate to say Brockers.

If they can't trade back then I think they take DeCastro or Gilmore at 14.

There is a very good chance Cox, Barron, and DeCastro are all gone by 14.
  12. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Decastro ... how do you pass on a possible hall of famer definate 1st round solid pick for a Safety that "might" be a descent player ... just cause you need a safety/DB help?

Its a no brainer as far as im concerned. 1st round you take the solid pick ... after Decastro you can take all the flyers you want to.
  13. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    I just don't have Barron ranked very high. Surrounded by supreme talent and played a lot in the box. I just don't have a great feeling with him. I have no doubt Decastro is a good player. He will be a solid starter in the nfl. Given the choice between these two I take decastro. Ultimately I would go a different direction.
  14. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,721 Messages
    2,393 Likes Received
    It's real simple.

A. Phil Costa (The likely starter from last year who still has a job if we don't fix OL.)

B. Brodney Pool (The guy brought in to take Elam's spot.)
  15. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,721 Messages
    2,393 Likes Received
    Barron is your new DeMarco Murray huh?

Maybe we should take him then. :D
  16. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I just don't see the value of safeties on nfl anymore. Not many teams have great safeties. The giants and patriots certainly didnt. I am all in on DeCastro! Barron is going to get overdrafted because he's only quality safety in draft
  17. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,016 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Consider reading about this Amini Solotulu G from Midwestern his floor is lower than DeCastro but his ceiling is higher. Taking Barron in the first and him in the second makes us much stronger as the next guy in line at Safety is like going from Darren Woodson to Allan Ball. This Amini is a beast in attitude like Larry Allen was when he played guard.
  18. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    i'm all for overhauling the defense but i don't think it would be wise to pass on DeCastro and let someone else get him if he is available at 14. i'm betting that konz and zeitler are gone by the time we get our 2nd pick. no one seems to take that into account.
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,677 Messages
    1,889 Likes Received

The odds of me being so wrong about a player 2 years in a row is very low :).

Watch Barron come in and get 8 picks a year.
  20. egn22

egn22 Active Member

835 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    damn, so many fantastic arguments here. i'm truly torn between the two. i'd be happy with either.
    i'm starting to lean toward decastro because i keep hearing he's a sure thing, but when you hear the way they talk about Barron, the potential there seems amazing for us.
    i think i'd take Barron, but would be perfectly okay with Decastro