1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Barron revisited

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by btcutter, Apr 16, 2012.

1. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,702 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    Both Casserly AND Mayock have Barron as top 10 player overall in this draft.

Why does this BOARD hate Barron?

All I see are the youtube highlights so I got nothing else to go on. I see him as a day 1 starter for us. In fact I am not sure we will get a shot at thim at #14 anymore.
  2. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,426 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Since he doesn't run a 4.35 he's not a ballhawk, he's just a in the box safety :D lol all kidding aside I like Barron and will be happy to have him back there w/ Sensabaugh.
  3. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,598 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone hates him. They just want other positions first. Oline and dline mostly. I'm still on Barron bandwagon
  4. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    The guy is a squeaky clean prospect. Not elite in any category but prototype size, speed, tackling ability, downhill coverage, football IQ, productivity/experience, intangibles.

The ONLY area of his game that's isn't necessarily at a 1st round level is his deep half coverage, but even that is probably above average compared to starting NFL safeties.

The OP is right that we'd be lucky to have a shot at him at #14. He's a plug and play upper echelon SS with the physical traits and character that we currently lack in the secondary. It baffles me why so many have hated on him. It's as if people think every 1st round safety needs to run a 4.3 and cover like Reed. There's only one Reed... lesser talents than he are deserving of mid-1st round picks.
  5. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I wont freak out but would prefer Cox or DeCastro.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,453 Messages
    6,148 Likes Received
    I don't hate 'em. I could live with him if the team wants to go that direction. I see the value in improving the secondary and in adding another blitzer.

Not too impressed with his highlights, but that's not much to go on. Mostly, I just don't like the idea of taking the first safety off the board earlier than he was originally slotted to go when he compares unfavorably to the best safeties from recent drafts. That's not a reason not to take him, though.
  7. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    agreed
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,929 Messages
    990 Likes Received
    Some people wrongly believe he's an in-the-box safety. They believe that because they read someone on the board say it, who read someone else on the board say it, etc. It's just one of those odd things. Most realize he's not at all an in-the-box safety.
  9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,679 Messages
    1,894 Likes Received
    Because Barron isn't great at anything..

Hopefully he'll end up being a Lawyer Milloy type if we draft him though.

When you draft a safety in the top half of the 1st round you'd hope he is a but of a playmaker.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,722 Messages
    2,394 Likes Received
    I don't hate him. In fact I think he will be our pick.

I just do not agree that he is the direction we should go.
  11. theogt

43,929 Messages
    990 Likes Received
    He's actually the opposite of this. He's one of those rare playmaker types at safety. I'd say he's a once every other draft type of player at the safety position. People seriously undervalue this type of safety, and that's great for us.
  12. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,702 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    All the high lights showed him making plays while Kirpatrick has lost his man. Be nice if Barron can make plays when Scandrick loses his man.:D
  13. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Maybe, but I just don't think he compares well to Earl Thomas who was drafted at #12 overall in the 2010 draft. That was a S worthy of a high first round pick because of his ball skills and coverage ability. Barron just isn't elite in those skills.

The other thing I don't like about Barron is his soft tissue strength. He has had issues with a double sports hernia and a torn pectoral muscle. I fear he will always be nicked up in the NFL.
  14. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Mark Barron was arrested before spring practice last year for hindering prosecution, police felt he wasn't being completely truthful about a one car accident in his hometown of Mobile. Alabama.

Barron's cousin was reportedly driving the car and Mark wouldn't give authorities his name.

link
  15. theogt

43,929 Messages
    990 Likes Received
    I think he compares very well. More experienced, smarter, more crafty, the general of your secondary. Other than 40 time, Barron has Thomas beat on athletics as well (i.e., better vertical and better broad jump). Earl Thomas's youth and one good season of production dinged him as a prospect, so I think he was taken about where he should have been (or later). And that's the same range that Barron should be taken in. Personally, I'd take either of those guys over a number of other guys that were, or will, be taken higher than them.
  16. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,463 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    I'd be happy if Barron was the pick.
  17. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    Earl Thomas and his 1 FF and 2 INTs last year..not exactly a playmaker..not saying he isnt a good safety..but those arent ballhawk #s
  18. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,715 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Barron is high on my list 14.

DeCastro
    Cox
    Barron
    Ingram
    Coples(if coaches/scouts confident in his attitude and motor)
  19. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,264 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I'm starting to come around to the idea of Barron at 14. Dude ran in the 4.5's at 80-90%. Barron says he's more of a 4.4 guy and I have no reason to think he's a liar. Throw in his 4.03 shuttle and 6.60 three cone and you got some elite athleticism at the safety position.

Our safeties have been either been invisible or getting torched for the past half decade. It'd be nice to get a playmaker back there.
  20. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,647 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    I think Barron instantly upgrades our secondary, he should be a solid S that we have been missing for years.

However, I still like Fletcher Cox and DeCastro possibly before him with respect to immediate impact.