1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BCS guru: Cowboys in Turtle Game

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by MarionBarberThe4th, Dec 4, 2011.

1. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,875 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Haha yes, chaos.

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2011
    No Rematch!
    In a stunning turn of events, Oklahoma State will face LSU in the BCS Championship Game on Jan. 9, not Alabama, as had been widely believed until the wee hours Saturday night.

The final BCS Standings will be close between OSU and Alabama, with the computers locking in the Cowboys at No. 2 and Alabama at No. 3. And then it would be up to the voters to render their final verdict.

More of them will still have Alabama at No. 2, in both the coaches and Harris polls, but OSU's edge in the computers will be enough to overcome the Crimson Tide's advantage in the two human polls.

A few things that happened tonight turned the tide:

* Oklahoma State's impressive victory over Oklahoma was a resounding statement. The Cowboys proved that not only they could score, but they could play sound defense and cause game-changing turnovers.

* Virginia Tech's blowout loss against Clemson removed a direct competitor for the precious No. 2 votes, not to mention the all-important No. 3 votes. Remember, OSU was No. 5 in both polls coming into Saturday night's game.

* CBS's shameless and disingenuous cheerleading for Alabama ultimately will prove to have done more harm to the Tide than help. If CBS had done nothing, it's likely it wouldn't have caused enough voters to have such a revulsion to decline an LSU-Alabama rematch. Whereas Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson definitely made the difference in Florida's favor in 2006, the opposite must be said in this case.

* Finally, the fact that the only other worthy 1-loss teams: Alabama, Stanford and Boise State all failed to win their respective conferences bolstered OSU's case. Even though the BCS never made that a requirement to reach the title game, many voters would like to consider that a prerequisite.

So that's the shocking conclusion to this strange regular season that really proved that LSU is unquestionably the best team in the land. But because of the system that we have, the Tigers will have to play one more game to make it official. They're probably glad that it won't be the Crimson Tide.

There will be more drama beyond the unveiling of the participants in the BCS title game. For more analysis - and the BCS Bowl Projections, check tomorrow morning at SB Nation.

Here's the projected final BCS Standings:

1. LSU, 2. Oklahoma State, 3. Alabama, 4. Stanford, 5. Oregon, 6. Boise State, 7. Arkansas, 8. Kansas State, 9. South Carolina, 10. Wisconsin, 11. Baylor, 12. Virginia Tech, 13. Michigan, 14. Houston, 15. Oklahoma, 16. Michigan State, 17. Clemson, 18. TCU, 19. Georgia, 20. Nebraska.
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    if LSU plays OK St it will be the most ******** thing ever...the system is designed to pit the top 2 teams..the 2 best teams, WITHOUT question are Lsu and Bama
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    What do you expect from the BSC?
  4. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,503 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    i agree on the best two teams part but disagree on the ******** part.
    I think a rematch would be an ultimate buzzkill and net another boring-a** game that'd be harder to sell than marketing OK St's high-powered offense which has yet to be slowed this season against a ferocious defense.
    I don't have any doubts who will likely win the game, but from a money perspective, I think OK St-LSU makes way more sense than a very boring rematch. And who knows, we had this same discussion a few years back with Ohio State vs Michigan and had we done a rematch, we would've been robbed of seeing Florida not only jump the team everyone knew was the second-best team in the land but demolish the team that everyone "knew" was the best team in the land. And frankly, that year a Mich-OSU rematch actually would've been a very marketable, exciting matchup.
    Honestly not sure I'll even watch the NC game this year if its Ala-LSU rematch and I'm sure I'm not the only one that is thinking that way. It just doesn't sound exciting and I'm into watching any football all the time.

If you want absolute purity from a competitive standpoint, then we should go ahead and crown LSU champion, they're the only undefeated team, consensus #1. If they play and lose to Alabama then they'd need a third game, rubber match.
    The BCS, like everything else the NCAA does, is only about money, almost as corrupt as Wash D.C.
  5. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,126 Messages
    719 Likes Received

Without question? How do you figure that?
  6. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,009 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    no brainer to me.the system is a joke but the two best teams have to play in the title game and Lsu and alabama are way better than OSU.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    I agree that a rematch is just not right; Alabama had their chance AT home and could not get it done. Also if you cannot win your own conferance then you do NOT deserve to make it to the Championship game.

LSU is going to win no matter who plays them; their depth is unreal in this day and age.
  8. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I do not want to see a rematch, but this forum has been strongly touting fairness and the only fair thing to do at this point is let the two best teams in the nation, LSU and Alabama, play each other. Oklahoma State looked really good last night, but even Gundy said Alabama was a better team and a better pick for the BCS title game.
  9. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    An 8 team playoff is my preference. Then we'd have even more all-SEC national championship games.

:)
  10. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Will South Carolina and Arkansas get into the 8 team playoff since they are clearly the 3rd and 4th best teams in the SEC... err.. nation?
  11. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It also looks like TCU is getting hosed in this one. They are sitting at 18 and only need to move up 2 spots for a BCS AQ slot but voters are going to move 4 of the teams who lost (5 VTech, 6 Houston, 9 OU, 13 Mich St) just in front of TCU as well as bringing 20 Clemson in front of them.

The saddest part here is that voters are looking at creating certain matchups instead of ranking the best teams in order as they should do. This isn't a shot at Baylor, but how do they jump from 17 all the way to 11 while TCU is stuck at 18? And idle Michigan jumps from 16 to 13? Way to go BCS.
  12. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    TCU didn't do anything to leapfrog Michigan or Baylor in the standings. They don't deserve to be ranked ahead of Michigan or Baylor.
  13. Kolemmitt

Kolemmitt Member

170 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    TCU's biggest hurdle was who they played this week. With the computers, when you play a weak team you will always drop, if you rip em up or not. Its not fair, but it is what it is.
  14. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It isn't about leapfroging Michigan or Baylor. It is about the #16 team jumping 3 spots, the #17 team jumping 6 spots, and the #18 team not moving at all. TCU only needs to move up 2 spots for a BCS bid but the voters are not going to let it happen.
  15. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With the computers a loss will also drop you, and 5 teams ahead of them lost. I don't think the computer poll is what TCU has to worry about, it is the voters who are going to keep them where they are.
  16. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,717 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    This is like trying to predict a jury verdict. When trying to determine how a group of human beings is going to vote, you're just guessing. I expect the computers to give OSU the edge over Alabama but the ultimate fate of the BCS championship game is now in the voters' hands.
  17. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,717 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    TCU lost 2 games this season. If they get left out, it's their own fault. No one is getting hosed there.
  18. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The USA Today poll is out now and it looks like OSU might be making up enough ground to get into the 2nd place slot. If the computers give all 2nd place votes to OSU as most expect and the Harris poll mirrors the USA Today poll Alabama will beat out OSU by .0011 on the average. TCU also moved up a couple of spots so they might just get the 16th ranking they are looking for.

1.LSU (59) 13-0; 1,475
    2.Alabama 11-1; 1,399
    3.Oklahoma State 11-1; 1,367
  19. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,296 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    I'm not excited about an LSU-Alabama rematch. In fact, I probably won't watch that game.
  20. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,090 Messages
    5,648 Likes Received